March 29, 2024, 07:09:44 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

IDE F1 for help not quite right

Started by Topdecker, September 02, 2015, 01:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topdecker

September 02, 2015, 01:16:26 PM Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 02:04:13 PM by Topdecker
Version:  Downloads as 3.01, shows up in the list of installed programs as 3.03.

Problem:

Entire program reads as

PRINT "SOME TEXT"

Placing the cursor in the body of PRINT (like between the R and I) and pressing F1 effectively locks up the program.
Highlighting the word PRINT and then pressing F1 will open the help dialog - canceling it will result in a lockup.

I am not sure what happens if you actually select one of the help topics - or what state things will be in when you return.

Should mention that I am on Windows 7 64-bit SP1.  Version 2.5.x works, though you must highlight the word to gain assistance.  Tried both the full install and the thumb-drive install with the same results.

Tim

LarryMc

I'm unable to duplicate your crash problem.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Brian

Does it for me, as well, Larry

Highlight PRINT, press F1, the help is displayed. If you then select an item or press the Cancel
button, the cursor goes active and the program locks up

Making the cursor active within a word, as in PR|INT, and pressing F1, the cursor goes bananas
again and you have to close the program down and start again

Windows 10 64-bit, IWB installed in C:\IWBDev3

Brian

Bill-Bo

With me when I press F1 with the cursor between the R and I of PRINT, I do not get any help. The cursor drops down and to the right with the flashing blue circle over it. It locks up the program, plus, IWBasic.

IWBasic 3.03, Win 8.1, 64-bit.

Bill

billhsln

I got the same result as Bill-Bo.  System cursor goes crazy and it locks up.

IWBasic 3.03, Win 8.1 Pro, 64-bit.

Bill
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Bruce Peaslee

Version3.0, Windows 7 Professional

The cursor turns into a spinning wheel and locks the system.
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."
iTired (There's a nap for that.)
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles

LarryMc

These are the kind I hate - the ones I can't duplicate!
I  acknowledge there is a bug of some sort.
I will attempt to fix it. Ya'll will have to bare with me on this since I can't duplicate it.
It will probably take multiple tries on my part.
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Bill-Bo

ckoehn

Same for me.

Placing the cursor on PRINT and pressing F1 locks it up.
Highlighting PRINT and pressing F1 brings up a list of found items.  Clicking "cancel" or clicking an item and pressing "Display" locks it up.

Clicking the Help Icon and doing a search for "Print" works fine.  :)

Win 10 Pro.

Later,
Clint

LarryMc

It still works fine on my WIN 7 64bit

I'll see about trying it on my wife's laptop and see what I get.
LarryMc

LarryMc

works fine on my wife's laptop also.
LarryMc

ckoehn

Ah... Larry, I feel your pain.  I make programs too and people tell me my system locks up when I do this and I can't duplicate it.  So.. I just start trying what I think is making it lock up.  Not the funnest thing to do.

On this problem?  I think it is when it calls the "Help" program is where it locks up.  The "Help" program doesn't ever start.

Later,
Clint

LarryMc

But they are also saying it locks up after the help program opens and they hit "cancel".
LarryMc

Topdecker

Larry -

It might ultimately be useful to setup a vm or two with VirtualBox (which is free) and build a test environment.  You can always roll back to base which allows you to do some pretty rude things to the host OS.

LarryMc

never tried that
...will give it a try

thanks!
LarryMc

ckoehn

September 06, 2015, 07:59:10 AM #15 Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 08:00:58 AM by ckoehn
Larry,

It isn't the "Help" program that opens.  It is only a "found items" list with a "Display" and "Cancel" button on the bottom of a window that opens.  When you click either of those buttons it locks.

I think it is probably two problems.  The first, when no item is selected it locks (just a cursor blinking on a word), the second is what I mentioned above.

Later,
Clint

LarryMc

LarryMc

LarryMc

just had a thought before I go to the doctor.

we've had problems in the past with help files being "blocked".  I don't think that is the case here but can one of ya'll check and see?
LarryMc

Bruce Peaslee

If you mean do they open from their folder, they do.
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."
iTired (There's a nap for that.)
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles

W4GNS

Quote from: ckoehn on September 04, 2015, 08:57:07 AM

Placing the cursor on PRINT and pressing F1 locks it up.
Highlighting PRINT and pressing F1 brings up a list of found items.  Clicking "cancel" or clicking an item and pressing "Display" locks it up.

Exactly the same here with Win 7 64 bit.
Gary Scott-W4GNS