March 28, 2024, 06:14:35 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

New 3D Example - Lathe Magic

Started by RG, October 08, 2014, 12:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RG

It's been a while since I've posted anything on 3D, but I've been working off and on for several years on a program that is finally far enough along to share with others. For those interested in seeing a real-world example of a 3D program written using ebasic (ionicwind's predecessor), you can take a look at my newly created website at http://lathemagic.com/lm/index.htm. Go to the download page if you want to try it out. In addition to extensive use of the 3D commands built into ebasic, I also use ddoc for print output. I still have a few odds and ends to work on, but in general, it works the way I intended. I haven't done a recent count but there's something like 7500 lines of code.

Rich

RG

One thing I always worried about was how well a 3D ebasic or ionic wind program would run on various operating systems. Since I released my beta, I have heard back that it works on Windows XP, Vista, 7, 7 Pro, 8.1 and even a Mac running Windows 8.1 on a segmented portion of the hard drive. It's good news to know it's so robust.

RG

Decided that I'd try my program out using IWBasic now that I have it developed in ebasic. So far so good. Had to make a few changes with the help of Larry to get the project to compile. A first run through shows that all the 3D commands are operating as they should. I did notice two favorable things: (1) the lights seem to show intensity changes better - with ebasic, I found most of the light commands had minor effect, especially on dark textures (2) The 3D screen refreshes without leaving white blocks behind; this problem didn't occur with ebasic on Win Vista but started to occur when I switched to using Win 7, gone again with IWBasic. Have a few more things to check out.

Techno

Quote from: RG on October 08, 2014, 12:19:20 PM
It's been a while since I've posted anything on 3D, but I've been working off and on for several years on a program that is finally far enough along to share with others. For those interested in seeing a real-world example of a 3D program written using ebasic (ionicwind's predecessor), you can take a look at my newly created website at http://lathemagic.com/lm/index.htm. Go to the download page if you want to try it out. In addition to extensive use of the 3D commands built into ebasic, I also use ddoc for print output. I still have a few odds and ends to work on, but in general, it works the way I intended. I haven't done a recent count but there's something like 7500 lines of code.

Rich

Hi,

Can you post the sourcecode then can we learn how DX3D works

aurelCB

Bill-Bo

June 03, 2015, 06:07:05 PM #5 Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 04:47:17 AM by Bill-Bo
Aurel,

Hey, he's picking on a program from last year; not 2007 or 2010.

Techno,

You do not seem to know anything and want everybody to do things for you. How in the hell do you expect us to believe you can begin to understand an over 7500-line program.

Bill

Brian

Well, I reckon that if RG had wanted to release his obviously hard-to-code source code,
he would have released it with the full distribution

In this case, I don't think it is right to even ask him

Brian

RG

I don't plan to release the complete source code as it's fairly complex and I don't want to have to answer lots of questions about how and why I did what I did. BUT I am happy to answer specific questions about using 3D features of IWbasic as it's actually quite powerful and useful. There may also be one of the project files that others would find useful if enough folks are interested in it.

Rich

LarryMc

Good answer Rich  ;)

But I, for one, would appreciate anything you would care to share.
I really haven't done anything in 2d/3d
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

RG

Let me take a look and see what's worth sharing. I got help from others here to solve some problems so glad to share back. Rich