March 28, 2024, 02:45:41 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

IWB+ Ver. 1.00 (A Visual Designer for IWBasic 2.x) just released!

Started by LarryMc, July 07, 2011, 08:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryMc

LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Doc

Hey there LarryMc,

Good grief, man.... IWB+ is absolutely crazy with really cool features and a great price!

Good on you, kind sir.

-Doc-

P.S. (such a great deal that you may just coax me to start programming in Basic again soon)

LarryMc

Quote from: Doc on July 07, 2011, 04:22:31 PM
P.S. (such a great deal that you may just coax me to start programming in Basic again soon)

I see that as a deffinent plus!

LarryMc
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Pip1957

LarryMc

Thanks and I hope you will be satisfied and find it worth the money spent.

LarryMc
LarryMc

Blue Steel

can't wait to try it ;)

does it support code -> form or just form -> code.

ie: if you edit the code will it make the appropriate changes on the designer form
  http://www.codingmonkeys.com
Covers many languages including Aurora , IWBasicEbasic (Ebasic, IBasic) , Creative Basic

LarryMc

Quote from: Blue Steel on July 08, 2011, 12:32:04 AM
can't wait to try it ;)

does it support code -> form or just form -> code.

ie: if you edit the code will it make the appropriate changes on the designer form

it's form to code.
The automatically generated code is in protected areas.  If you edit the code inside the protected areas it will be automatically overwritten.  You add your code outside of those protected areas.

For eventhandlers it automatically generates the ONMessage declarations in protected areas(as weel as ONMESSAGE and ONCONTROL).  The handlers subroutine skeletons are automatically generated outside of a protected area so you can enter your your own code.

I suggest that ALL POTENTIAL users download the help file (chm, pdf and or eBook format) prior to purchasing and read through it.  I don't want anyone to be mislead and disappointed.

LarryMc
LarryMc

Pip1957

Larry

I have not received the download instructions email.

GWS

Larry,

What a wonderful achievement to complete a project of that magnitude ..  ;D

I've purchased my copy ..  8)

best wishes, :)

Graham

Tomorrow may be too late ..

Logman

Alright, let's see what this program can do...

Bought it this morning and am waiting on download instructions.

Thanks Larry,

Logman  :)

UPDATE: Downloaded IWB+ and installed it. It installed properly on Windows 7, put a shortcut on my desktop, and started up normally. I haven't had a chance to input any code yet, but all the functionality and help files seems to be working correctly. So, I'd say I'm good to go--thanks.
Education is what you get when you read the fine print.<br />Experience is what you get when you don't!

LarryMc

LarryS is involved in another one of his regular job audits. I'm sure he will get the download instructions out today.

LarryMc
LarryMc

AdrianFox

I shall be buying this asap, but just a little advice please.
I haven't bought IWB itself yet but downloaded the 'try for several days' version 2 some time ago, when all the problems were being experienced. I never got to the stage of unlocking it or even trying it out more than once. 
Should I remove this from my computer and then download and install the latest IWB or install it over the existing trial version?   I seem to have read in the forums about problems experienced by people who have tried to install a new version having removed the old one.
Also, can I go on using the old EBasic and Ebasic Visual designer on the same machines without the two interfering in any way with each other?   
Thanks
Adrian Fox

LarryMc

Quote from: AdrianFox on July 09, 2011, 06:54:47 AM
I haven't bought IWB itself yet but downloaded the 'try for several days' version 2 some time ago, when all the problems were being experienced. I never got to the stage of unlocking it or even trying it out more than once. 
Should I remove this from my computer and then download and install the latest IWB or install it over the existing trial version?   I seem to have read in the forums about problems experienced by people who have tried to install a new version having removed the old one.

IWBasic 2.0 had a 15 day limit for trial.  If it has been more than 15 days since you downloaded it to try you can't just download a new copy.  That would defeat the purpose of the time trial.  You will need to contact LarryS directly via pm or email.

Quote from: AdrianFox on July 09, 2011, 06:54:47 AM
Also, can I go on using the old EBasic and Ebasic Visual designer on the same machines without the two interfering in any way with each other?   
The original visual designer used the registry to store entries and was tied very closely to the EBasic registry entries.
IWB+ doesn't use registry entries. It stores information it needs in files stored in the user's application data folder. A copy of IWBasic has to be installed on the machine that IWB+ is installed on.  If IWBasic is not a working copy I don't know if you'll be able to compile the IWB+ project; the IWBasic copy protection might prevent that.
But yes, EBasic and IWBasic, with the corresponding designers, can both exist on the same computer.  I have that very thing on my computer.

LarryMc
LarryMc

Doc

Questions for ya LarryMc:

- Resource Editor
- Allows multiple selections when using file dialog to add resources.
- Creates skeletons when adding resources that require User input.

Since you can add multiple resource selections, do the selections have to be all of the same type (per selection) or is it possible to grab a folder of mix and match types. (images and/or HTML and/or text files and/or whatever else)

Can you explain how the skeleton thing works? With my old semi-functional mind, I don't think I understand the usage of that feature at all.  :-[

Thanks,
-Doc-

Edit to add:

I'm back!
...just purchased a few minutes ago: IWB 2.0 -- IWB+ -- Snippet Mgr.

Let the fun and games begin. :)

LarryMc

adding multiple resources -
When you right click and select add on one of the types in the resource editor treeview you are telling IWB+ "I want to add one or more type [your choice] files as resources.

Different types of resources have different formats that the data has to be entered.
You can also, in some cases, add the same file as different resource types.

IWB+ can only know your intent for a particular file by making you pick a type.  Right or wrong, it will format your selection as the type you selected.

Skeletons, as they pertain to resources is real easy.
for images and such there is no skeleton because the resource file is one line, incorporating the filename of the resource.
Skeleton files are create for those types of resources that require a user to enter more information than just picking a file name.
The largest skeleton is for VersionInfo type resources. This is the skeleton:
FILETYPE        0x00000000L
FILESUBTYPE    0x00000000L
BEGIN
BLOCK "StringFileInfo"
BEGIN
BLOCK "040904E4"
BEGIN
VALUE  "CompanyName", "My Company."
VALUE  "Contact e-mail",  "you@company.com"
VALUE  "FileDescription", "MySoftware.Exe"
VALUE  "FileVersion", "1.00"
VALUE  "Development Language", "IWBasic"
VALUE  "LegalCopyright", "Copyright© 2006"
END
END
BLOCK "VarFileInfo"
BEGIN
VALUE "Translation", 0x0409, 1252
END
END

You then edit it,in place, to reflect you particular application.  The skeleton saves you a lot of typing.
In creating a menu resource, the skeleton is only:
BEGIN
;Enter data here
END

Using IWB+'s own resource file as an example that is expanded to look like this, by the user:
BEGIN
  POPUP "File",3000
  BEGIN
    MENUITEM "New Project\t",3001
    MENUITEM "Open Project\t",3002
    MENUITEM "Close Project\t",3003
    MENUITEM "Save Project\t",3004
    MENUITEM "Save Project As...\t",3005
    MENUITEM "",3009,0x00000800
    MENUITEM "New File\t",3010
    MENUITEM "Open File\t",3011
    MENUITEM "Close File\t",3012
    MENUITEM "Save File\t",3013
    MENUITEM "Save File As...\t",3014
    MENUITEM "",3019,0x00000800
    MENUITEM "Export\t",3020
    MENUITEM "",3029,0x00000800
    POPUP  "Preferences",3030
    BEGIN
      MENUITEM "General\t",3031
      MENUITEM "Code Editor\t",3032
      MENUITEM "Basic Control Defaults\t",3033
      MENUITEM "User Control Defaults\t",3034
    END
    MENUITEM "",3039,0x00000800
    MENUITEM "Backup\t",3040
    MENUITEM "Restore\t",3041
    MENUITEM "",3049,0x00000800
    POPUP  "Recent Projects\t",3120
    BEGIN
      MENUITEM "...\t",3121
    END
    POPUP   "Recent Files\t",3140
    BEGIN
      MENUITEM "...\t",3141
    END
    MENUITEM "",3059,0x00000800
    MENUITEM "Exit",3060
  END
  POPUP "Project",3170
  BEGIN
    MENUITEM "Options\t",3171
    MENUITEM "Insert File Into Project\t",3172
    MENUITEM "Insert Library/Object/Assembly Files Into Project",3173
    MENUITEM "Manage Include Files",3174
    MENUITEM "",3175,0x00000800
    MENUITEM "Project 'To-Do' List",3176
  END
  POPUP "Build",3080
  BEGIN
    MENUITEM "Run\t",3081
    MENUITEM "Compile\t",3082
    MENUITEM "Compile and Run\t",3083
    MENUITEM "",3084,0x00000800
    MENUITEM "Compile Resource\t",3085
    MENUITEM "",3089,0x00000800
    POPUP  "Debug",3090
    BEGIN
      MENUITEM "Start\t",3091
      MENUITEM "Single Step\t",3092
      MENUITEM "Stop\t",3093
    END
  END
  POPUP "Editors",3100
  BEGIN
    MENUITEM "Menu\t",3101
    MENUITEM "ToolBar\t",3102
    MENUITEM "Resource",3103
    MENUITEM "TabControl",3104
    MENUITEM "Custom Controls",3105
    POPUP "Tools Menu",3106
    BEGIN
      MENUITEM "Add Tool",3107
      MENUITEM "Remove Tool",3108
    END
    POPUP "Help Menu",3109
    BEGIN
      MENUITEM "Add Help",3110
      MENUITEM "Remove Help",3111
    END
  END
  POPUP "Tools",3150
  BEGIN
    MENUITEM "File Cleanup\t",3151
    MENUITEM "ColorPicker\t",3152
    MENUITEM "Toolbar Paint",3153
    MENUITEM "MessageBox",3154
    MENUITEM "",3159,0x00000800
  END
  POPUP "Help",3160
  BEGIN
    MENUITEM "About...\t",3161
    ;MENUITEM "Welcome\t",3162
    MENUITEM "Ionic Wind Web Site\t",3163
    MENUITEM "Support Forums\t",3164
    MENUITEM "",3165,0x00000800
    MENUITEM "IWB+ Help\t",3166
    MENUITEM "",3167,0x00000800
  END
END

The skeleton for DATA type resources looks like the simple menu skeleton also.

More information about resource files is contained in IWBasic's IDE Help menu under Resource Compiler Help.

Hope that helps.

LarryMc
LarryMc

Doc

newuser

One question here please?

Free upgrades for life or theres limitation for upgrades? ???

Please clarify. Thanks.

LarryMc

LarryMc

AdrianFox

Bought it yesterday and as it's raining, had a good "play" today.

Absolutely fantastic program, does so much more than the EB Visual Designer.  

Thanks very much for all your hard work on this. I will have to fight hard to resist the temptation to stay in away from all the garden work and really get stuck into using this.

I can't understand why hundreds of hobby and professional  programmers aren't queuing to buy this!

BUT, in marketing terms, why on earth is its existence practically hidden away on the main Ionic Wind pages?  You only find out about its existence if you look at the forums or when you click under 'Utilities', scroll all the way down under Creative and Aurora details, AND a few ebooks and manuals, until you find it tucked away under 'Offerings from Larry McCaughn:'  and even then it comes THIRD after the Custom button and Custom chart programs!!!
WHY is it apparently being kept such a big  'secret' when it is probably the product which would sell IWB itself to a much larger market, especially newcomers?
It should be mentioned right up there on the first page of the site as an 'essential add on' especially for beginners, under the IWBasic header or at the very least featured when you click on 'More info'.

??? ???

:) :)
Adrian Fox

jerryclement

8)  Larry!!
Just purchased it and as everyone above commented already,  Fantastic program!

Question: I have a rather large project in the EBasic designer.  What would you suggest the best way to port it to this new designer??

Thanks,
JerryC
Jerry - Newbie from TN

LarryMc

Thanks Jerry,

The only sure fire way is to recreate it.

There were just too many differences between the two versions for me to account for all the possible variations that could cause total crashes.  (well, I guess I could have spent another 6-9 months trying to do so but I chose not to. )

You are at an advantage because the source files are already in  the designer format.  Meaning you can see what what is currently in a protected area and what is not.

My suggestion:
Make you a printout of your current code to reference while using IWB+. (you can open the EB disgner and look at your code there if you want to flip back and forth between the two designers.)
In IWB+
1. Recreate all your your forms insuring you use the same names and same handler names as in your old program
2. Add all the same styles, sizes, fonts, etc.
3. Add all the same controls with the same names and  same styles, sizes,, fonts,etc.
4. Add all the same events with same names for all your forms and controls.
5. Safe thing is to recreate toolbars and menus; making sure to use same names and ids
6. In all your handlers, once they are created you can simply copy all the code from inside your old ones to inside your new ones.
7. If you have any source code only(non-form) files create a new empty one in IWB+ and then copy and paste the contents of the old one into the new one.
8. Copy any other non-protected info from any of your old source files to the appropriate place in the corresponding new source files.

That should pretty much do it.

Sorry you have to go through that sort of hassle.
But, considering the circumstances surrounding the first designer it was a choice I made.

If there's anything else I might help you with just holler.

LarryMc
LarryMc

jerryclement

:)
Thanks Larry, I'll be able to scan the old code and change anything desired.  Like you said, it will be some work, but I think it will be worth it.

;D  Still love the new designer!!

Thanks,
JerryC
Jerry - Newbie from TN