March 28, 2024, 10:13:26 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Central Repository

Started by Trevor, October 17, 2008, 09:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor

Other programming languages tend to have a community repository for programs, tutorials, examples, etc. I am yet to find a site like this for CB but would be interested in starting one. I own a nice little place in the web over at http://camelcoding.com and its get plenty of room for anything CB-related. I have attempted to make a general repository for a programming language before, called JustBASIC DataBase, but gave up due to lack of community support. The domain that hosted JBDB has expired now, but the site consisted of links to files and documents organized into categories. Anyone could contribute to the database and categories were created on-the-fly if they didn't already exist. I coded the site myself in php and the script is still laying around somewhere.
I am posting here to see if anyone is interested in this kind of project and if they'd be willing to lend a hand. The hosting for the site and domain is already taken care of, I originally planned to use the site for housing my projects and discussing various BASIC dialects but I am prepared to change some things and add some subdomains.

Blue Steel

October 17, 2008, 10:09:20 PM #1 Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 10:10:55 PM by Blue Steel
I've been trying to do this myself now for about 2 years, so I think I'll pout my site up on the list here too..

For those who don't know about http://www.codingmonkeys.com it has Forums, File areas,Galleries and areas to post tutorial articles as well as blogs(which can be used as worklogs). With support for many (growing.. just ask if you need another language area) coding languages, Coding Monkeys also has an online games area where you can play and get ideas for projects from. We also run a coding contest in which you can enter to win prizes
  http://www.codingmonkeys.com
Covers many languages including Aurora , IWBasicEbasic (Ebasic, IBasic) , Creative Basic

mrainey

To Paul,

Is there any way to legally make the old Pyxia forum CD available again?  There's a ton of IB Standard (Creative) and IB Pro (Emergence) code on there.
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

Haim

That would be very usefull.
I am still using my old copy of the Pyxia offline forum CD.

Haim

Ionic Wind Support Team

The old forum CD package (downloadable) is available on the Purchase and Donation links page now.

http://www.ionicwind.com/forums/index.php/topic,2597.msg22095.html#msg22095

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

mrainey

That's great.  It's a major resource.
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

Trevor

Well I'm going to be quite busy for the next few weeks with exams. After that I can get started on this site. It'll be something like camelcoding.com/main. It'd be good to have bit of help with the project, so if anyone here has some experience with php or layout design it would be greatly appreciated if you could help out. I'm not going to start the project if no one is interested in a repository for CB so let me know your thoughts.
Trevor.

aurelCB

Hi Trevor what's going on with your page and forum?

Trevor

I took it down because no one uses the forum and I'm going to be refurbishing the site in a few weeks. Let me know if your still keen to help out with the repository.

Trevor

Ok everyone, I've finished my exams with good results and I've had a little break, now it's time to start work on the repository site. I've got the layout of the site sorted out, on paper, the next step is the PHP coding. I've got experience with PHP but I haven't really done SQLite before so it will be interesting. I've also need to a script for uploading files, in case users need a place to store their files.
All this should be pretty straightfoward and I expect to have a beta version up by the end of the week. If anyone has experience with this sort of development and has some advice to offer, feel free to do so.

Trevor

Just a quick update on the project: I've got most of the repository script working now, users can add resources and visitors can access them. What's left now is

• The visual style of the site
  • An administration element
  • WYSIWYG editor for users to add resources easily if they need hosting
  • A file uploader for users to upload files if they need hosting

That is basically what is left to do for now, at the rate I'm currently working at I'll have it completed in a few weeks. I'm happy with how it's all going, everything I have planned to implement has been or will be implemented. PHP is a great language to work with. As soon as I have a stable version I will upload it to my site (camelcoding).

Trevor

February 06, 2009, 07:16:34 PM #11 Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 09:14:02 PM by Larry McCaughn
Hello everyone. I have something online now, it is far from finished but it is a demo of things to come. The current link is {link removed due to site being filled with x-rated spam}
Anyone is allowed to add stuff, although it will all get erased if I decide to change the database structure in the future. At the moment I'm just testing the system to see if everything works and find the bugs.

aurelCB

Trevor

I am hoping that completing the repository for the community will improve my karma  ;)

Trevor

Wow look at all the spam on my site! I'm really surprised to see it there because I didn't expect automatic spammers to work out how to make a post. Why on earth would they want to spam my page anyway? Its not like anyone ever uses it.
It has been a long time since I've done anything to the repository scripts, meaning its going to be even harder to get back into it! I'd like to get it finished though because I feel like I'm onto something. Now that I've got a job I don't have as much free time as I once did. I'm not going to rush it though and hopefully I can get it finished before next year, ready for the community to use!