March 28, 2024, 01:55:13 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Free Pro Modeller - Caligari trueSpace 7.6 for free

Started by joeb, July 25, 2008, 05:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeb

:o Caligari trueSpace 7.6 for free  :o

follow this link to their forums...

http://forums1.caligari.com/truespace/showthread.php?t=893&page=5

I can't figure out why. I just know a lot of people are always asking for a 3D modeller that uses .x files.
You have to give them contact info but you get free program, manuals and video tutorials.

Just sharing...
Later
Joe

Barney

Interesting. They've just been bought by Microsoft and immediately trueSpace is free. Good find. :)

Barney

barry

From reading their forums I gather that Microsoft's purchase of Truespace was to push it as a front end to their Virtual Earth.  I think they're hoping a lot of people will download it and start creating content for Virtual Earth.  Might happen, to.

In any case, I've been using Truespace since version 3.2 and it's a fine program.  I bought all the upgrades until version 7, since I can no longer afford it, being retired,  and it was quite a bit more expensive than previous upgrades.  My use of it is only to play.  I enjoy the modelling.  I rarely go beyond making models with it.

Truespace is a very powerful and capable program that you won't outgrow anytime soon.  It's not easy to learn a program this complex but it's fun and worth the effort.  It does take a bit of horespower to do much with it; another reason I didn't upgrade.  My latest computer with a core-duo cpu and 3 gig ram is up to it but just barely.  I don't have dedicated graphics memory so rendering is fairly slow if the scene is complex, but most of what I do is pretty simple.

Barry

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

Yea, I am miffed that it is free.
I paid for the 7.0 upgrade from 6.6, and 7.6 roxors, so for it to be free, is unreal.
It totally beats its compitition out of the water, now free on top of that, what kind of crapsola is that.
This is the Japanese model, undercut all American products at a loss to put competition out of business.
You do know Gates partnered with Japanese firms recently right?
Its there model, now he has adopted it.

barry

Quote from: Jonathan (zumwalt) Wood on July 28, 2008, 07:46:27 PM
Yea, I am miffed that it is free.
I paid for the 7.0 upgrade from 6.6, and 7.6 roxors, so for it to be free, is unreal.
It totally beats its compitition out of the water, now free on top of that, what kind of crapsola is that.
This is the Japanese model, undercut all American products at a loss to put competition out of business.
You do know Gates partnered with Japanese firms recently right?
Its there model, now he has adopted it.

I bought 3.2 and then every upgrade after that through 6.6 so I've spent a lot of money on Truespace.  But I'm okay with them making it free.  That'll help Truespace users by generating interest in writing more plug-ins and I always felt that I got my money's worth when I bought it.

I got what I paid for so I won.  Now I don't have to pay more in the future so I win again.   Happy days! :)

Barry

Bruce Peaslee

I downloaded it and it looks very impressive, although I must admit being a bit overwhelmed. Where does one start if he wants to get something out of the software?
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."
iTired (There's a nap for that.)
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles

LarryMc

They had some free tutorials on the website.

Larry
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Bruce Peaslee

Quote from: Larry McCaughn on July 30, 2008, 01:19:52 PM
They had some free tutorials on the website.

Larry

True, but I don't know the first thing about 3D graphics. I always thought a "mesh" is something you make when you're drunk.  ;)

I need the very basics.
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."
iTired (There's a nap for that.)
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

I downloaded the whole thing and the docs - still have no idea how to start.

LarryMc

Quote from: peaslee on July 30, 2008, 01:28:50 PM
True, but I don't know the first thing about 3D graphics. I always thought a "mesh" is something you make when you're drunk.  ;)
Me neither or I would have offered something more useful. ;)

Larry
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

barry

I have 2 suggestions about where to start:

1. they've made all their video tutorials free and there are many of them that cover a lot of different areas and they're mostly very well done.  They have one that's specifically for getting started in TS7.  They do tend to focus on what the tools do and where to find them and not on why you might want to use them but programming language manuals do that too, so we should be used to that. :)

2. just do it!  Make some simple model at first, like a flowerpot or a cowboy hat or a wooden toy car.  Just to get used to the tools.  Try a simple animation with some of the included objects; such as moving a car across the screen.  Just do simple stuff to get a feel for it.

I also suggest not trying to learn all the tools up-front.  Find a couple and play with them.  Then play with a couple more.

The problem with Truespace is that there's just so much of it.  That's also what makes it so powerful.

Barry

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

Where to start, well, I suggest a basic cube.
Now take that cube, and add a texture to it and export it out as a DirectX file, load it into EBasic or Aurora.
Now, from this point, simply extrude or expand the cube, have no idea what you want, just do it, don't have a care as to what you want to make, just goof off.

Never worry about making something, just make something.
Later make what you want.

RG

Here's a site I've been active at since 2000. It has a Truespace forum that can provide some guidance. There are other similar sites around the net.

http://www.3dcommune.com/

Rich

barry

There's also the excellent forum at Calagari''s site.
http://forums1.caligari.com/truespace/index.php

It's a friendly forum full of helpful people who know what they're doing and are glad to help.  Also it's monitored closely by some of the Truespace staff and they jump in when they see a need.

I've always asked simple questions there since I only do simple things with Truespace and they've always responded with a good attitude and given me the help I needed.  Also, when I've gotten confused and not understood it correctly they've been patient till I do.  It's worth checking out.

I don't know anything about other 3D programs so I have no idea how Truespace compares to them but I do know something about forums and theirs is a good one.

Barry