March 28, 2024, 12:46:18 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Construct 3D models and... dices :)

Started by JoaoAfonso, September 09, 2007, 03:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoaoAfonso

Good evening!

First of all, changing from IB STD/CB to EB doesn't seems so difficult as I thought at start :)
Second, and the reason of this post: I have started checking 3D at EBASIC. The samples are amazing... I would like, though, to know how and where can I build easily 3D models. How to create a person? How to create a tree? Once with IB I created some poligonal shapes. The result was good, but the number of hours spent doing very few things was too much...
I remember ZeroDog did some kind of program to create some shapes easily. What you say it is the best program to use?

A last thing: if someone has some 3D dices sample, I would be glad to look at it :)

Thank you.
JoÃÆ'ƒÂÃ,£o Afonso
Viriato
-----------------
Iberia MUD
www.iberiamud.com
iberiamud.com:5900

barry

I don't have any idea what is the best program for this.  I have Truespace from www.caligari.com.  I'm using version 6.6, their older version.  It does save in .x format.

I've created a couple of fairly simple objects to animate in Ibasic standard and now Cbasic but I've had mixed results.  The shapes seem to work just fine but the textures work just sometimes.  Also I haven't tried using it to create self animated characters.  It can do that but I'm not sure if it saves them in the right format or not.  I'll try that eventually.

The advantage of Truespace is that it's fairly easy to learn and very powerful and simple to use and to make models quickly.  How well they translate into this environment I don't know yet.

They have an older version, I think version 3 or 4, that's now freeware.  It's pretty easy to find it and download it and after installing it you notify Caligari and they give you a license.  I guess the freeware version saves in .x format but I don't really know.  In any case it'll let you play with it and decide if you're interested in buying a more recent version.

Barry

Barney

Blender, 3D Canvas, Wings 3D, Milkshape 3D are either free or cheap and offer everything a beginner would need.

3D dice are already built into the 3D system. There's CreateBox (or similar) command in it. All you need is to create the box with that command and then apply the texture with numbers (or whatever) on appropriate vertices.

Barney

JoaoAfonso

Thanks for the fast answers. Yes, just a command to create a cube is enough, I'll do the rest of animation.

I will make a second version of a game I did some years ago with Game Maker. I guess it's only played in Portugal (maybe in other countries, but with different rules). Dices have aces, kings, jokers, etc, and we call it dice poker (I guess this exists already, but we play with some different rules) or "pilos" :) This last name is a true portuguese one :) As I seem it will be easy to make it, I guess Ill put here or in download section the game when its over :)
JoÃÆ'ƒÂÃ,£o Afonso
Viriato
-----------------
Iberia MUD
www.iberiamud.com

JoaoAfonso

As I have no urgency in using 3D, I guess I'll first use the free suggestions of Barney. Just downloaded Blender, I will try it later.
JoÃÆ'ƒÂÃ,£o Afonso
Viriato
-----------------
Iberia MUD
www.iberiamud.com

pistol350

Quote from: JoaoAfonso on September 09, 2007, 03:30:42 PM
Good evening!

First of all, changing from IB STD/CB to EB doesn't seems so difficult as I thought at start :)Second, and the reason of this post: I have started checking 3D at EBASIC. The samples are amazing... I would like, though, to know how and where can I build easily 3D models. How to create a person? How to create a tree? Once with IB I created some poligonal shapes. The result was good, but the number of hours spent doing very few things was too much...
I remember ZeroDog did some kind of program to create some shapes easily. What you say it is the best program to use?

A last thing: if someone has some 3D dices sample, I would be glad to look at it :)

Thank you.

LOL! One more addicted is born.  ;D
As i said previously "time will tell"  ::)
Regards,

Peter B.

tide

Ionic Wind Support Team

Still writing it.   If you download and install Aurora you can use that 3D reference since the class names/methods are the same.  It is also a work in progress.

I will get it done eventually.  Programming is easy, writing docs is slow for me.

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team