March 28, 2024, 09:25:52 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

3D Model Conversions

Started by Brice Manuel, July 21, 2007, 02:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brice Manuel

Does anybody know of a free converter that can convert animated b3d models into an Aurora friendly format?

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

B3D as in Blitz3d format?
Thats custom.

As for free, none that I am aware of.

Brice Manuel

Thank you for replying.  Yes, that is the format.  Since I have no artistic talent, I either buy cheap models or use free ones.  Unfortunately, one does not always have a choice in formats.

Ionic Wind Support Team

The format specs for B3D are posted on the blitzbasic site: http://www.blitzbasic.com/sdkspecs/sdkspecs.php

Someone with a bit of time on their hands could write a loader for it, or convert it to 3ds which is also publically documented.

Ionic Wind Support Team

barry

Looking at that link I see there are exporters for Lightwave already and it shouldn't be too hard to find something that will import Lightwave files and export something usable in Aurora.

Also, Blitz3d can deal with DLLs so if there's a DLL that will write a friendly file format it shouldn't be difficult to write a converter in B3D.

Barry

Brice Manuel

QuoteThe format specs for B3D are posted on the blitzbasic site: http://www.blitzbasic.com/sdkspecs/sdkspecs.php
Yeppers, its a public domain format.  I considered writing a loader myself.  But, since I will not buy models in the B3D format anymore, it wouldn't be worth the time.

I have found somebody who should be able to convert my existing models for me.

QuoteLooking at that link I see there are exporters for Lightwave already and it shouldn't be too hard to find something that will import Lightwave files and export something usable in Aurora.
That really wonldn't help in my case, as I have no way to get the B3D models into Lightwave.  Listed there are LWO2B3D converters and B3D exporters for Lightwave.  ie, no B3D importers for Lightwave.

I still have a ton of old modeling software from my days at Microprose, but unfortunately all of them are versions which predate the B3D format.

I am quickly being reminded as to why I hate 3D.  The programming is easy, the nightmare is dealing with all of the idiosyncrasies that are found between the different modeling programs and the variety of model formats.  Overly frustrating for me since I am not an artist.