April 27, 2024, 06:13:53 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Uninstalling...

Started by AndrewB, February 12, 2007, 11:45:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewB

Hi. I am about to leave my current job and move on to another company and am taking EB off the system. If I uninstall EB, will the license be removed as well or does it linger about in the system, waiting to be reinstalled. I just don't want to leave the license behind.

-andrew

Ionic Wind Support Team

I beleive it does linger in the registry.  Otherwise you would have to re-enter your code everytime you updated.
Ionic Wind Support Team

AndrewB

Thanks. I'll take all the references out of the registry. I guess I'll be able to tell if the license is gone. I don't want to leave my license on someone else's computer when I leave.

-a

AndrewB

Right, thats wasn't quite it. What I want to do is leave no trace that EB was ever installed here at work. I uninstalled it,  fragged out the registry and so on but EB remains registered to me after reinstallation.... as handy as that is 99% of the time, this is the 1%.

How can I make that happen?

cheers,
-a

mrainey

February 14, 2007, 05:34:15 AM #4 Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 05:43:16 AM by mrainey
From Armadillo:

"There are several places in the registry where Armadillo stores the keys for your program. Unfortunately, these places will be different for every project, so we can't say where they might be for yours without seeing your project file ..."
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

Ionic Wind Support Team

About the only thing I can do is disable your current key and issue you a new one.  That way future version of EBasic won't work with the old key.

The reason it's not easy to remove a key is part of the security. Otherwise someone could keep using the demo version indefinately by removing the demo key and reinstalling. 

Your other option is a reformat, or a system restore to a point where you didn't have EBasic installed.

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

Rod

How important is it to uninstall a prior version before installing the newest, instead of simply installing on top of the prior version? What can be caused to go wrong by not un-installing the prior version first?

Mike Stefanik

Quote from: Rod on February 14, 2007, 09:56:06 AM
How important is it to uninstall a prior version before installing the newest, instead of simply installing on top of the prior version? What can be caused to go wrong by not un-installing the prior version first?

That largely depends on the installation program. Some will automatically uninstall previous versions, others will just install updated files. I've never had a problem with installing Paul's stuff on top of one another, but as with most things in the computer world, YMMV. To be safe, it generally never hurts to uninstall old versions first.
Mike Stefanik
www.catalyst.com
Catalyst Development Corporation

AndrewB

Quote from: Paul Turley on February 14, 2007, 08:18:01 AM
About the only thing I can do is disable your current key and issue you a new one.  That way future version of EBasic won't work with the old key.

The reason it's not easy to remove a key is part of the security. Otherwise someone could keep using the demo version indefinately by removing the demo key and reinstalling. 

Your other option is a reformat, or a system restore to a point where you didn't have EBasic installed.

Paul.

I'll see how it goes. As long as the demo of EB doesn't pick up the license, they (work peeps) are unlikely to get their hands on any other copies. I'm taking all the source codes anyway  ;)

thanks all.

-a