April 27, 2024, 02:46:50 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Docs for lib files?

Started by Jim Scott, January 03, 2007, 08:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Scott

Where's a good place to find documentation on using the libraries included in the EBasic install?  Is there some kind of "DotLibView" tool out there?
Thanks for any suggestions. 
Jim Scott

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

The commands that the lib's use should be available in the Help file that comes with EBasic.

Jim Scott

Excuse me if I'm missing the obvious.  But, I'm looking through some example code, heapsort.eba, and I see the following declaration;

DECLARE IMPORT,GetTickCount(),int

And so now this programmer has a nice command for feching the number of milliseconds between calls to GetTickCount(). I search in EBasic's help and all I get is the following;

MILLISECS

MILLISECS()
Description
Returns the number of milliseconds elapsed since Windows was booted.
Parameters
None
Return value
None
Remarks
Convenience alias to the API function GetTickCount. Note that this must be used like a function with empty parenthesis.
Example usage
PRINT MILLISECS( )

I look through the Lib directory in the Emergence distro.  Very interesting, I'm sure its all here, I just can't read the files.  I search through all my windows directories looking for help. I find nothing on kernal32, user32, etc (other than .lib and .dll files)
And so now I'm thinking that there must be hundreds of handy little routines like GetTickCount in the API that a clever guy like me could use.  If I just knew what they are.  I'm just not clever enough to find 'em.  I could probably go fish 'em out of the MSDN website....

And second thought, I'll just beg right here and now.

Please, with hat in hand, where can a brother get a list and a description of all the API functions like GetTickCount?
Jim Scott

Ionic Wind Support Team

I have an MSDN subsription myself that includes,among other things, all of the API commands listed.  It is the same as going to the reference online at MSDN.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa383686.aspx

The link takes you directly to "functions by category" which is a bit easier than searching through them alphabetically.  You can get the CD for free now (plus shipping) from Microsoft:

https://www.qdirect.net/qmsfp/product5.aspx?Ticket=2E3E83A1-A024-4430-9B9B-4153A33E8F5A&Item=2471

And then you'll have the same handy reference I use ;)
Ionic Wind Support Team

Jim Scott

Thanks Paul,  Exactely what I was looking for.  Looking at the link and I say to myself "Gee, I could have found this on my own".  I haven't spent much time on MSDN.  Maybe I should look at it more.   

I tried ordering the CD but it rejected my credit card three times and you know my card is good.  I'll try again some other time.  Maybe it will take my money then.  In the mean time, I'll just use the reference on the site.

Thanks
Jim Scott