June 01, 2024, 06:26:19 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Windows 8 compatibility issue

Started by Andy, April 03, 2015, 05:50:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

Hi,

Was just testing one of my programs across platforms and came across a problem in Win 8 (8.1).

I have to set the program to run in Win 7 compitible mode.

Has anyone else come across any issues with win 8?

Fortunately I have a work around - this might prove useful to you:

I have two programs, a setup program and the main program.

The setup program has no compatibility issues in win 8, so when it runs it "looks" for a registry entry here:

DEF Result:string       
Result = REGGETSTRING("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers",GETSTARTPATH + "AutoScanEnhanced.exe")

The setup program is in the same location as the main program "AutoScanEnhanced.exe"
AutoScanEnhanced.exe is the program with the compatibility issue.

If the string "Result" is empty ( = "" ) - i.e. it doesn't exist then the setup program inserts this into the registry:

DEF Resultin:int
Resultin = REGSETSTRING("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers",GETSTARTPATH + "AutoScanEnhanced.exe","~ WIN7RTM")

Once the setup program has finished, it executes AutoScanEnhanced.exe - which now runs with now problems.

That's the work around.

Question is why does my main program not run?

Using Task Manager, I can see it is loaded - it's a running process but it does not open any screens.

I use Larry's custom button designer which needs it's own .dll file - I can tell you that is not the issue at all.

I suspect it's a Comm's issue as I open com ports - don't know that yet but will let everyone know what is causing the compatability issue in Win 8.

Hope this helps, and maybe someone has an answer??

Thanks,
Andy.
:)

Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

Andy

I was able to preview Windows 10 over the weekend.

Strangely, my program works without any compatibility issues what so ever.

More over, the drivers for serial device it uses also had an issue in Win8, guess what?, no problems either in Win10.

So, it looks like Windows 10 will be to Win8 what Windows 7 was to Vista.

Regards,
Andy.
:)
Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

LarryMc

LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library