May 09, 2024, 05:39:40 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Request on upcoming Scintilla IDE

Started by paravantis, December 24, 2006, 02:58:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paravantis

I have a request to make on the upcoming Scintilla editor of the new eBasic IDE that may be of particular importance for international users.

I have used SciTE (as a typical usage of the Scintilla editor DLL) and although it does come loaded with lots of goodies there is an important omission: you CANNOT (readily?) change the user font. What you CAN do, is change to a preset monospace font (Courier New) which (a) looks awful on screen and (b) does not display Greek characters correctly (I can explain why if anyone cares to know the details).

I write "readily?" because this option MAY be buried in one of the option text files -- I just never bothered looking. Anyhow, it is NOT an option on the menus.

One of the things I have always LOVED in the eBasic/iBasic editors is their capability to easily change the font through FILE>EDITOR OPTIONS. ALL fonts may be selected, even SCREEN fonts such as Terminal (which is my preferred programming font for ages now). I do not particularly like using TrueType fonts for editing text files -- I prefer using screen fonts. Call it an idiosyncrasy, but eBasic so far indulged me.

I am crossing my fingers that the new Scintilla editor will NOT make it unduly difficult for the user to change the font AND will ALLOW us to select the monospace font of OUR choice (e.g. such as Lucida Console, with the aim of displaying Greek, Hebrew etc characters correctly).

Kale

Ionic Wind Support Team

John,
Download and try the Aurora compiler.  It uses the scintilla editor and you can change the font to whatever you want.
Ionic Wind Support Team

paravantis

Paul, thanks for your response. This puts paid to my request and I must confess I am much relieved!

Kale, I use Bitstream fonts too -- they look absolutely great! I resort to Lucide Console on occasion because Bitstream Mono does not include Greek encoding.

Ionic Wind Support Team

I am surprised SciTE doesn't allow font changes as the component is very capable.  Scintilla comes with the source so even if it didn't have the capability I would have added it ;)

Lucida Console is one of my favorite monospaced fonts. 
Ionic Wind Support Team

paravantis

Glad to know Paul is up to speed. Would not have expected anything less.

Yeah, Lucida Console is one of the few fonts that both look well (on screen) and print well!