May 15, 2024, 05:10:18 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Problem with Compiler when renaming Source files

Started by billhsln, March 29, 2008, 01:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billhsln

When I rename a file in the editor, it seems to keep the same name for the compiled program.   What I was doing was saving the file with a different version number.

File name was "DHL_Invoices_v1.EBA", then renamed as "DHL_Invoices_v1.1.EBA" and then it kept the original compiled name of DHL_Invoices_v1.EXE.  Even when I change it under the Build, it still comes back to "DHL_Invoices_v1.EXE", when I go in and out of the compiler.

Is this something I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
Bill
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Ionic Wind Support Team

Project or single exe?

Delete the .opts file for a single exe, it can become locked.

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team

LarryMc

Bill

If it is in a project you'll have to change the executable name under project.
You would also have to remove the old version from the project and add the new version to it.

Larry
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

billhsln

I have not become proficient enough to even try to create a project.  I only do single EXE's in either CONSOL or WINDOW.  Nothing else.

Will delete to .OPT files and see what happens.

Thanks,
Bill

billhsln

Took a close look at my directory where the EBA programs exist.  Funny thing is that only the v1.opts file exists.  There are NO .opts files for v1.1, v1.2 or v1.3.  I created v1.3 by doing a NEW and then Copy and Paste to insert the code.  v1.1 to v1.2 was just a "Save As", which I might understand the .opts file sticking with it.  But the NEW with a Copy and Paste should not have kept the same .opts file.

Bill

Ionic Wind Support Team

Ionic Wind Support Team

REDEBOLT

When I want to keep versions of my source file, I go to the folder where the file is kept, right-click on the file name, click on copy, click on a white area in the folder and do a paste.  So, if my filename is myfile.eba, then the pasted file's name will be "Copy of myfile.eba".  Later, when I want a new version of myfile.eba, I repeat the above procedure and the new version will be "Copy(2) of myfile.eba".  For more copies, I repeat the above procedure, and the version number in parentheses will be preserved as successive integers.

Please note, that you will continue to use myfile.eba for the next version each time, so that the "build" parameters remain the same.  If you want to go back to the previous version, simply restore one of the copies.

It iis also imperative to code the version code, e.g. v1.10, at the top of each files text so you can keep track of your own internal versions.

Bottom line, never change the source file's name as you do successive version copies.
Regards,
Bob