May 09, 2024, 05:23:15 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Storing values

Started by CodeTRUCKER, December 31, 2007, 12:00:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeTRUCKER

Hello,

I am attempting my first app in EBASIC and I need to know how to write a list of variable values to a simple text file to use as an initialization on opening my app.  I have tried to follow the Help Files, but I'm not getting it. 

What syntax would I use if my file was, say "C:\variables.txt"  I only need simple ASCII strings as I can convert types Ok.  I also can handle a For/Next with an array to load and unload.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Calvin
Calvin Waterbury

Truth, unlike opinion, tradition, etc. will always be able to stand on its own.  Truth is not a static, but a living entity and will perpetually impart life; therefore, any "truth" that does not or can not impart life can not be Truth.

GWS

Hi Calvin,

Here's a quick attempt at it .. you can probably improve it for your own use ..  :)

openconsole

def valid,dir,exists:int
def datafile:file
def values[10],workfile,filename,a$,b$,c$:string

cls

' check for the Previous Results data file ...
' if it doesn't exist, create it ...

workfile = "data.txt"
exists = 0: ' assume the file does not exist
' try to find a .txt file in the home directory ..
dir = FINDOPEN(GETSTARTPATH +"*.txt")
IF(dir)
  DO
      filename = lcase$(FINDNEXT(dir))
      if (filename = workfile) then exists = 1
  UNTIL filename = ""
  FINDCLOSE dir
ENDIF

if (exists)
' **** EXISTING SYSTEM ****
'
if(OPENFILE(datafile,GETSTARTPATH + "data.txt","A") = 0)
' read the previously stored values ...
for i = 0 to 9
      read datafile, values[i]
Print values[i]
next i
else
' the read failed for some reason ..
a$ = "Data file could not be read." + chr$(10)
b$ = "Delete the file data.txt and re-start."
c$ = a$ + b$
MESSAGEBOX(w1,c$,"File Read Error",0|0x30)
endif
' check for no data yet saved ..
if (left$(values[0],2) <> "00")
' previous data available ..
valid = 1
else
' no data yet available ..
valid = 0
endif
else
' *** NEW SYSTEM ****

' we need to create a new Results file ...
if(OPENFILE(datafile,GETSTARTPATH + "data.txt","W") = 0)
' initialise values array values[ ]...
' create default or required values ..
values[0] = "1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9"   

for i = 0 to 9
Write datafile, values[i]
next i

a$ = "A data file 'data.txt' has been created."
    Print a$
else
a$ = "data.txt file could not be created." + chr$(10)
b$ = "Check files in the program folder are not read-only."
c$ = a$ + b$
Print c$
endif

endif

do:until inkey$<>""
closeconsole
end

The first run will not find a data file, so it will create one.
Next time you run it, the file will be found and the values are printed out.

best wishes, :)

Graham
Tomorrow may be too late ..

pistol350

Hi graham!

This code is rather for Cbasic  ;)
By the way, there is someting that i don't get.
In line, (let's say) 27 , we have this :

if(OPENFILE(datafile,GETSTARTPATH + "data.txt","A") = 0)

The parameter to read data here is "A" ,i thought it had to be "R",
but the initial code compiles and runs fine under Cbasic. Any explanation on this ?

Regards,
Peter
Regards,

Peter B.

LarryMc

Looks like a typo to me. "A" is for append, "W" is for write (which overwrites the file if it exists) and "R" is for read, and "R+" for read/write on an existing file.

Larry
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

GWS

QuoteThis code is rather for Cbasic 

Yes it is ..  :) ..I don't have EBasic loaded at the moment, but I don't think there is much difference as far as console work is concerned.

For a quick reply, I cobbled the example together from other code I just happened to have here.  That part with the "A" specification was from a program that needed to add more data to the file.  So you are right, for this example "R" is more correct  :)

I also forgot to close the file:

Closefile datafile

at the end of the program. ::)

best wishes, :)

Graham

CodeTRUCKER

December 31, 2007, 08:39:54 AM #5 Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 08:45:23 AM by CodeTRUCKER
Thank you all for the replies!  I will insert this in my code and see what happens. 

Quote from: GWS on December 31, 2007, 07:11:59 AM
QuoteThis code is rather for Cbasic 

Yes it is ..  :) ..I don't have EBasic loaded at the moment, but I don't think there is much difference as far as console work is concerned.

FYI - I am workin on a Windows GUI app.  Is this compatible?
Calvin Waterbury

Truth, unlike opinion, tradition, etc. will always be able to stand on its own.  Truth is not a static, but a living entity and will perpetually impart life; therefore, any "truth" that does not or can not impart life can not be Truth.

GWS

December 31, 2007, 09:11:07 AM #6 Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 09:13:43 AM by GWS
Ooh - I knew I'd get into trouble giving a quick response ..  ;D

Not exactly Calvin .. the method is appropriate, but the code would need a bit of a change ..

For instance, you can only use 'Print .. message ..' in the way shown, for Console apps.
I usually use 'MessageBox win ... ' to put out information in a Window app.  (In fact I left a 'Messagebox' statement in there by mistake).
You can easily look up the syntax for a messagebox in the EBasic help system.

Instead of 'Openconsole', you need to open a Window and handle the Windows messages, but you are probably proceeding down those lines OK already.

I think the file handling commands will be pretty much the same - it was only intended to give you a few quick ideas of one way of doing it. :)

Pick the bits out that fit your program requirement and watch out for any small syntax differences in EBasic.

I can't knock up an EB example quickly 'cos I'm not set up for it at the moment ..

all the best, :)

Graham

CodeTRUCKER

Thanks, Graham.  I'll give it a whirl and see what I can hash out.

Calvin
Calvin Waterbury