May 09, 2024, 04:45:03 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

I would like an GUI example, for the serial port

Started by Techno, June 25, 2009, 12:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Hi all,

I know there are examples in the example folder but only console examples. I would like to need an GUI example for read and write the serial port

Do here somebody have expierence in serial port programming. I would like to develop an application with an microcontroller PIC 18F2550 en send the data to the PC serial port. The enduser is an graphical user interface where I can visualization with the serial data from the serial port that I have measured with the microcontroller.

I have a choose of the next packages : NtPort.dll, inpout32.dll

My question is to you. Can you post my examples where I can see how I can send and receive data en how I can do this port setup with an graphical interface.

I use EBASIC or Aurora, but my preference is EBASIC.
I can post the graphical user interface to you en can you then tell me how I can read en write data from the serial port en place this data in textboxes for settext and gettext?

Thanks
Stephane

LarryMc

June 25, 2009, 08:29:17 AM #1 Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 08:42:40 AM by Larry McCaughn
Quote from: Techno on June 25, 2009, 12:32:11 AM
I know there are examples in the example folder but only console examples. I would like to need an GUI example for read and write the serial port

After a quick count there are 52 GUI example programs in the EB examples so I don't know where you are looking when you say there are only console examples.

You've got two issues.
One is you are wanting someone to show you how to read and write information to a serial port.
Most people don't even have a serial port on their computers anymore.

Second, you want someone to show you how to take the information you get from the serial port and display it in a GUI.
As I mentioned above, there are plenty of examples in the project folder; in the help files, and on the forums to accomplish that simple task.

The result is that I don't know if you'll ever get someone to write what you want.

25-30 years ago I used QBasic to do what you are talking about.

Edit: Searching the internet I found at least one .lib (written in another language) for $100+ that has all the functions needed  to use a RS232 Serial port as well as USB ports on XP/Vista.

Larry
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Johnny

June 25, 2009, 10:40:09 AM #2 Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 12:44:41 PM by Johnny
Yes indeed, also I don't really understand what is the real problem here, Stephane, all you need to know is really there in all those examples...
Unless you actually want somebody else to make your program? If it pays well, OK then!  ;)

But since you ask so nicely, I have in fact a program that I made to communicate with a simple controller (no, not a PIC).
It works like a *very* simple terminal, maybe you can use this program for your goal...

Good luck anyway!  :)

Edit: Sorry, forgot to tell, the default port is COM1, 9600 Baud, when you connect pins 2 with 3 at the RS232 connector, then you can type on the screen to test the software without controller...