May 09, 2024, 06:42:54 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Double backslash

Started by TexasPete, December 26, 2008, 11:32:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasPete

Paul I was stepping through the example file on the sample recursive directory program. I was display the paths and there were no double backslashes in any of the return paths. I was reading the manual on using the double backslash to open files ect. I would appreciate some clarification on when to use or not use the double backslash.
I was try to getstartpath of my executable and it returned a string with no "\\" back slashes in it.
I am writing some small to to change my directory to read the file names under the folder.
Which is correct.
to display a directory do I need?
c:\program\treetops\*.*
or
c:\\program\\treetops\\*.*

I find the \\ confusing please make it simple.
I did read your manual and I understand about the escape sequence.
Thanks
Texas Pete
Where and when do I use it??

Ionic Wind Support Team

Pete,
It is no different from other languages.  You use escape sequences in literal strings, in other words string in the source code only,

print "\\" 

The compiler puts a single backslash into the code. Because \ is the escape characer, \n is newline \" inserts an embedded quote, \t is an embedded tab, etc.

The users guide explains it better and I don't know how to explain it to you any clearer than that.  Search google for "escape sequnce" perhaps. The users guide also indicates you need to use \\ in any path that you use in a literal string

Paul.
Ionic Wind Support Team