May 18, 2024, 07:16:54 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Virus detection

Started by Brian, May 28, 2012, 06:34:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Hi,

I normally compile my programs at home, and then send them to work. I usually
compile, remove the .exe part and then zip the file up. No problems so far

Until today. I sent a program last night, and the attachment was deleted,
with this message:

============================================================
Incident information:
Event: Virus infection detected
Replaced with text: No
Virus name(s): Sus/UnkPacker
============================================================

The message was generated by PureMessage, whatever that is! So it does seem
that IB's exes do have some code in them that alerts virus programs, and not just Avast!

Brian

Andy

Hi Brian,

I have had the same problem in the past, my programs read / write to and from the registry and the anti virus programs don't like that.

Are you doing the same, if not do your programs read / write the a system directory such as "Windows" or "System32" folders?

Also, way in the past I used VB scripts to perform functions - they have been removed now.

Do you elevate your programs (run as admin), that too can cause problems.

This is Microsoft - we think????

What is PureMessage?

PureMessage is a mail-filtering program. All incoming and outgoing email messages pass through PureMessage. The PureMessage filter looks for certain message characteristics and performs actions on the message when these characteristics are found.

See this:

http://netnotes.nsuok.edu/Documents/sophos/whatis.htm

Let me know - see if I can help.

Andy.

Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

Brian

Andy,

Thanks for your interest. No, I don't use the registry at all if I can help it

And this problem is just when sending my attachment from home - it won't
let me save the attachment. In fact, it deletes it when coming through
our email server, so it never even gets run! The same file worked last week . . .

Brian

Andy

Brian,

Firstly, how do you send emails from home? do you use hotmail / windows live / silverlight?

My better half Anne remembers receiving an email from Microsoft saying that they had changed their scanning system (for attachments) to try and reduce virus attacks on people's machines.

Did you mean you cannot attach the file at home OR you can but the email server at work deletes it?

If you can attach:

Try sending it to yourself first at home (ie send it to your own email address NOT the works one).

If that works:
Try renaming the file and send that to your works.

It could be that the name of the file has been flagged at work as a virus and maybe the works email server refuses to allow it?

Just some things to try.

Andy.
Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

Brian

Andy,

I use Outlook Express. I compile my IB file, remove the .exe from the end to try and fool the
email process, zip it up and then send it. As I said, the method has worked until this week,
when our system caught something in the zip file and removed the attachment before I
could actually save the attachment to my PC at work

Brian

LarryMc

I would suggest that they updated their email software last week.
Either that or you picked up a virus on your end.

I can remember having to fool exe sent to gmail accounts when I was working of the Chart Designer and was sending it to my beta checker.

LarryMc
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Andy

Larry is thinking on the same lines as me.

That's why I suggested renaming the file and sending it as a test - if that fails, I would strongly recommend you download and run these two programs:

Malwarebytes and Superantispyware.

Both are free just google them, run Malwarebytes first (choose quick scan) remove anything it finds (reboot)
then run Superantispyware (quick scan again, remove and reboot).

My system has these two programs + Avast and I have had a clean machine for a very long time now.

So it's either the works email scanner or a virus I think.

Let me know how you get on!

Andy.
:)

grid51

Or you could maybe just carry a flashdrive in your pocket. That's what I do most of the time.