March 28, 2024, 12:42:23 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

File formats

Started by Ionic Wind Support Team, August 10, 2006, 12:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zen

Well i have never made Plugins for Max but if we had our own file format, we could maybe code a plug-in for max too. But the idea of having our own file format is an awesome idea! Especially as we could then make a community based world editor project or something along similar lines etc.

What does everyone say about that?

Lewis

kryton9

That would be neat, a world builder, light mapper and particle designer. Those would be cool. That is an interesting idea having community projects like that around an Aurora file format.

Directx has lots in it, just hard to find info on how to implement it. Would love to know to help Paul with writing routines to tap into all it offers. But it is beyond me at the moment.

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

Lets just start with using formats that are known, ones that gamespace can use for instance.
.X, obj (even Bryce uses that), B3D (blitz format), the MD's, etc.

Steven Picard

August 15, 2006, 09:05:33 AM #28 Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 09:31:33 AM by stevenp
Perhaps a very stupid question.ÂÃ,  ;D

What's the difference between .x and .dxf formats?ÂÃ,  Are they pretty much the same or is one less capable than the other?

I am looking at various apps for 3D and terrain modeling mainly for their ease of use, price and export formats.  Some I see as exporting to .x and some to .dxf.

kryton9

They are 2 different formats. .x is what you want.   dxf is used in CAD programs. So you see it in Modeling programs allowing you to import and export stuff from those CAD packages.
But to store all the things a modeling package offers you need .x

Steven Picard

Quote from: kryton9 on August 15, 2006, 10:50:25 AM
They are 2 different formats. .x is what you want.   dxf is used in CAD programs. So you see it in Modeling programs allowing you to import and export stuff from those CAD packages.
But to store all the things a modeling package offers you need .x
Thanks for the explanation!

kryton9

August 15, 2006, 10:48:57 PM #31 Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 10:51:31 PM by kryton9
You are welcome. I think for games directx format .x offers alot. It is just a problem getting exports of directx to work across all apps that can use it. One of these days I will buckle down and try to figure it out.

I have been reading up on wavefront obj files as Paul said he is developing for it. From what I can tell, you can't store animation info in that format, although it says wavefront is a powerful program that offers that, so kind of confusing.

Here is the link for the file info:

http://www.fileformat.info/format/wavefrontobj/

kryton9

August 15, 2006, 10:54:39 PM #32 Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 10:56:15 PM by kryton9

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

I am still crossing my fingers for the B3D format!

kryton9

Now I see why there are so many differnt formats, here we are a handful of guys so far and we all want different formats :)

Kale- abour delebD... that is a neat program. I played with it before.

Zumwalt - about konking out, no worries. When that happens you know you needed some sleep :)

I can't wait to get back home tonight and get back to work on the fps control :)

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

I about laughed outloud at my simple gravity that I implimented in the game so far.
Its very generic, but with modification can be used for mario style games and such.
Half way tempted to write me one of those, wouldn't take me but like a day with this engine now.

Ionic Wind Support Team

I would like to see a mario style game.  Make a great demo ;)
Ionic Wind Support Team

Steven Picard

Quote from: Paul Turley on August 17, 2006, 10:30:05 AM
I would like to see a mario style game.ÂÃ,  Make a great demo ;)
I love Mario games.  That would be cool.

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

LOL ok, I'll work on one.
I am stuck on the tank at the moment anyway.
Just remember I am rooting for B3D format integration :)

ExMember001

is it possible to add VUE Esprit vob files?
This Scene,Terrain creator is great ;) and what's about and whole .vue scene?