March 29, 2024, 02:15:18 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Post your models here

Started by Ionic Wind Support Team, August 10, 2006, 08:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ionic Wind Support Team

If you've created some nice models and feel like sharing them then this is the thread to do it in.  Please use .zip archives and include any textures the model needs.  Feel free to include screenshots.

Only free models will be allowed.  Any posting of someone elses copyrighted meshes won't be tolerated.
Ionic Wind Support Team

kryton9

August 12, 2006, 02:09:51 AM #1 Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 11:45:43 PM by kryton9
Ok got the mech broken into pieces. I modified my model viewer to load it up and allow you to control what can be controlled at the moment.

The rate controls are fixed for these keys, but not the other controls.

Left and Right Arrow Keys:ÂÃ,  ÂÃ,  ÂÃ, Rotate the upper body

Up and Down Arrow Keys:ÂÃ,  ÂÃ,  ÂÃ, Move the guns up and down

Numpad 4 and 6 Keys:ÂÃ,  ÂÃ,  ÂÃ,  ÂÃ,  ÂÃ,  Rotate the overall model

All the other keys are as before and listed in the help.

Steven Picard

Krypton, what program are you using for modeling?

kryton9

August 14, 2006, 09:11:10 PM #3 Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 10:35:13 PM by kryton9
3d studio max, but having problems with bones, rigs and skinning. I was having troubles with my rigging on my mech today, so I decided to use a prebuilt model and rig in max in the tutorials folder, I figure they are done properly and will help me figure out what export settings I need to use to make it work with Aurora. No luck so far getting them to export properly, will keep trying. There are so many variables in the export box to try :)

If you are new to modeling, I would not recommend 3dMax, first very hard and expensive. For games and such it is overkill. I would recommend gamespace if you are doing it for games.

I downloaded the free gamespace light and will try something very basic with rigging in that tomorrow if I have no luck with Max tonight. Also anim8or is nice for game models, I will tinker with that if I have no luck with gamespace light. Not sure if it had directx format however.

Edited: Gamespace light, none of the included examples with bones were of low enough poly to export as a test. One low poly model with no animation exported fine.
Also tried anim8or. It exports to 3ds, but with no animations. Just for models, it works fine. It loaded up fine in my model viewer, just no animation. More as I try other programs.

Steven Picard

I am actually trying to learn Blender3D.  It's a bit of a beast and 3D modeling is all new to me but I figured there is no easy way.  It's fun to learn, anyways. :)

Zen

I use 3D max and i tried blender and it lasted all of about a day on my system before i went back to 3D max again. Its just the layout and the interface i dont like. 3D max is so easy to use and it keeps it nice and simple too.

Lewis

Steven Picard

Isn't 3D Max a fortune, though?

Zen

Yes i believe (when max 8 was released) is was somewhere in the region of ÂÃ,£3,000. However i was fortunate enough to recieve a free copy, and no i dont mean an ilegal one, a very good friend of mine updated and gave me his previous version.

Lewis

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

http://www.turbosquid.com/Forum/Index.cfm/stgAct/ForumList/intGroupID/1004
http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax
GMAX - its the core to 3dSmax actually, without all the bells and whistles.

BTW, I would grab it while it still exists, AutoDesk removed it from there site back in October of 2005, and TurboSquid might discontinue a link to the official download at some point. Its free and POWERFUL.

Kale

Quote from: zumwalt on August 16, 2006, 07:14:44 AM
http://www.turbosquid.com/Forum/Index.cfm/stgAct/ForumList/intGroupID/1004
http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax
GMAX - its the core to 3dSmax actually, without all the bells and whistles.

BTW, I would grab it while it still exists, AutoDesk removed it from there site back in October of 2005, and TurboSquid might discontinue a link to the official download at some point. Its free and POWERFUL.

I agree GMAX is an awesome piece of modeling software, much better IMHO than any other modeling tool, However.... GMAX is severly gimped in that you can't export anything from it in a useable format. I used it years ago and produced a nice model which took a few nights of learning, etc. I was horrified to learn that i couldnt export it to a useable format.

The problem with GMAX is that it's (was) an affiliate tool that game designers had to support in order that GMAX could export models to be used with that game. For example, there is a Quake3 Gamepack for GMAX that when loaded totally transforms the GUI of GMAX to a horrible quake looking thing and then it allows you to export to the MD3 format that works with QIII. Unless a game supports GMAX and provides an exporter you cant use GMAX. That's ultimately why nobody used it and nobody will.

If Discreet offered GMAX for a realistic price with a few standard exporters thrown in (3DS, X, B3D, etc..) everybody would be using it for games.

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

Kale

Quote from: zumwalt on August 16, 2006, 08:30:45 AM
Its doable.
http://panda3d.org/wiki/index.php/Converting_from_GMax

"There is a fair amount of work involved in setting up the GMax-to-X converter, but once it is set up the conversion process is reportedly very easy."

"The GMax converter writes slightly nonstandard .X files"

He he, good luck! ;)

kryton9

August 24, 2006, 08:39:35 PM #12 Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 10:08:08 PM by kryton9
I decided to make a model pack tonight. I know starting out in 3d, getting models is the toughest part. This is all the basic shapes in a variety of colors for each one. I have the pivot centered on all the objects and aligned with Aurora's Grid. Edit: found the pivots aren't quite right on some.
Each is a unit size of 1. You can scale these to meet your requirments for different sizes and proportions. Happy 3D'ing.

kryton9

I wrote a little demo to show how the standard primitives in the model pack can be used. I thought this would help those that don't want to get into modeling, but want to experiment with 3D.

The parade takes you by all the primitives and shows all the colors available.

This one uses those, simple shapes to build things that can be used.

Kale

These are a few models i created for a project that never got finished years ago. ;D They were for a radical 3D remake of Space Invaders. So who gonna be the first one to create the official Aurora version of Space Invaders using these? ;)

I've included the X's, skins and the original MilkShape files. Have Fun.

J B Wood (Zumwalt)

*GRINS*
*drools*
*snickers*
***DOWNLOADS***