April 18, 2024, 02:49:50 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Color text

Started by Andy, February 03, 2020, 12:10:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

March 11, 2020, 05:25:34 AM #50 Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 05:30:57 AM by Andy
Just a little update for you all in case you were wondering.

My colour text additional IWB editor is moving on at good speed thanks to you all regarding my recent questions.

In place now:

Subroutines, windows, bookmarks are all now drop down boxes.

For subs you can jump to the start of the subroutine line as well as jumping to the end of it.
The same applies for windows with the addition that you can also jump to its' handler as well.

Right click on the text allows you to cut, copy, and paste.

Jump to any line by typing the number in.

I'm also adding a "snap shot" button which saves your code safely to another file.
A useful feature when you have something working and don't want to mess it up by making more changes.

As always, this will be posted when finished.

Please see attached screen shot.

Thanks for reading this,
Andy.
Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

LarryMc

I don't see hou you open a file or a project ?
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Andy

Larry,

No you won't yet.

I'm hard setting a file to open at the moment but that is easily done with a couple of buttons.

Already got the code in for that, this is just an example of the program without those buttons.

As said before, Larry I know how much work you have done on the editor - I know because I'm trying to do something similar.

And thanks for all your help.

Andy.

Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

LarryMc

Just another thought
If you are going to be working on a project or you going to allow your editor to allow having multiple files open at the same time and moving between them? And maintaining the bookmarks for each and such? If so, I'm just interested in the technique you'll use to do it? It ate my lunch in the IDE. LOL.
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Andy

Larry,

Not really worked on that up up till now, but it is in the back of my mind and I do have a few thoughts on it.

When I've got them clearer in my mind and tested them a little then of course I'll let you know.

Any one attempting this needs a lot of spare time that's for sure!

Was wondering at the moment just how I could get the code to be compiled - maybe if I crawl a little and ask very nicely you might tell me? lol.

Andy.

LarryMc

Quote from: Andy on March 12, 2020, 07:18:07 AMWas wondering at the moment just how I could get the code to be compiled - maybe if I crawl a little and ask very nicely you might tell me?

You would have to get LarryS' approval for that because at that point you would have a competitive IDE of sorts.  You're getting close to the point now where I may feel limited in how I can help you as much as I would like to.

LarryMc

Andy

Larry,

Yes, thought that would be the most likely answer - and making a competitive editor was never my goal.

It was just a logical question to ask.

So just to re-iterate what / why i'm attempting this editor.

1. I had not really programmed with rich edit / multi line edit controls before and wanted to see just how it works.

2. I wanted to test just how good (or not so) was colouring of text in a rich edit control.

3. When I use the IWB editor there are some things I would like to do that I simply can't - so I wanted to see if I could make a program do some of these things.

The plan in my mind is to use this additional editor to help code with such things as..

Insert block of code with onr click like SUB / ENDSUB, FOR / NEXT etc.

Not only list sub routines, but also windows (and their handlers).

Have to ability to jump not only to the start of a sub or window, but also jump to the end of any of them as well.

Be able to add in my

Find / Replace code
Copy / Rename sub and windows code
Remove sub routines code

Have a one click option (button) where copies of the whole file can be saved as a snapshot.

And simply working out how I and probably others code.

All this is there so that when you want to the file can then be loaded into the IWB editor and carry on.

These are the limits of what I'm trying to do and no more.

As said earlier, it was just a logical question to ask - no more.

Hope that clears everything up.

Only ever good intentions here.

Andy.

LarryMc

Never was a question of intentions.
I think it's a demonstration of good programming skills.

And the adding of blocks of code like for window and dialog skeletons and loops etc was something I'd thought about when I added the functionality of the tool menu of the IDE.
LarryMc