March 28, 2024, 05:04:03 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Jazz UPX

Started by h3kt0r, January 26, 2020, 01:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h3kt0r

January 26, 2020, 01:43:22 AM Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 11:29:30 AM by h3kt0r
QuoteJazz-UPX is written to be used with UPX (Ultimate Packer for eXecutables).
It provides an user-friendly interface with all the options available to
choose from.

Other functions:
1) Drag and drop function.
2) Shell extension.
3) Extra textbox for additional options in future versions of UPX.
4) Clear description of the various functions and options
  when you move your mouse over them.
5) Saves your settings and able to revert to Default.
6) Multiple files support for compression and decompression.
7) Recursive folder scanning for multiple files option.

This program can be difficult to find, original website no longer exists, so i've attached a ZIP
archive to this post which contains the binaries with UpX upgraded to the latest version.
Handy whenever you need to "multipack" several EXE in one shot with its recursive files search...

Brian

Tried UPX, screws up the IWB exes. I normally put a compiler option in, which reduces the final exe size enough not to cause any problems when running them
Brian

h3kt0r

January 26, 2020, 07:30:40 AM #2 Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 07:49:16 AM by h3kt0r
I regularly compact programs with UpX and there's no trouble at the noticeable exception of
DLL's compiled with Delphi.

Usually, i avoid compacting Dynamic link libraries. As a side note, don't use Upx to compact executables
or DLL files inside the "Windows" folder. This is a very bad idea !

I've just compacted an executable produced by the iwBasic compiler and it runs okay.

Usually, UpX refuses to compact any binary for which it finds some kind of problem with : in that case
a red message is displayed and the program quits.

What's this compiler option you are using to reduce the binary size ?

Brian

In the Assembler Options, type in -O1 (hyphen, capital O, figure 1)

Doesn't make a huge difference, but it is compressing the data with the in-built NASM assembler that IWB is using. I use it all time

Brian