April 19, 2024, 06:01:39 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Hangman in IWB

Started by Andy, February 21, 2021, 12:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

February 21, 2021, 12:47:42 AM Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 01:38:07 AM by Andy
Hi,

Well this is a new one for me to actually post a game (I don't do many).

A joint effort here...

Brian found this code and converted it to IWB but the compiler was giving an unspecified error, and it would not compile.

So he asked me to have a look.

I got the same error so I basically pulled it to pieces, worked through it, and finally modified the code so that it actually works now.

Just unzip the files to a folder then compile & run hangman2021.iwb

Included is the exe file if you just want to play it.

Enjoy!

Andy.
:)
Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

DeeCee

February 21, 2021, 03:56:52 PM #1 Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 04:16:35 PM by DeeCee Reason: Image added
Hey Andy,
I seldom use it but do have WINE installed on my Linux system, so I decided to give your game a test spin. Works great and is quite fun! :-)

Question: I noticed a .cba source file included in the zip, so is that something that can actually be used in Creative Basic also?

-Doc-

P.S. - Added imagehangman.png

Andy

Hi Doc,

Glad you enjoy the game.

Thought Wine would let you play it, it's great for some Windows exe files.

As for the .cba file, looks like it was written in Creative basic (but I could be wrong).

I don't have CB so I can't test the .cba file.

Thanks for the feedback!

Andy.
Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

Brian

I don't think Andy will mind me posting his latest version of the Hangman game. Just copy the attached files into your Hangman folder and re-run

It shows letters A to Z; when you type a letter, that letter turns red so you know what letters you have tried right / wrong
You can now (menu option) save a game and exit and later run it again and load it back in to continue
If you guess the word correctly, the man gets released from the gallows!

It came up with a word this morning, 'conniption' and I had to Google it to see what it meant! We could maybe do with a button that goes and checks the meaning of a word on the 'net!

Brian

Andy

March 10, 2021, 12:36:43 AM #4 Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 05:19:22 AM by Andy
I will be posting the new version of the hangman game soon.

I've added in all sorts of things for this final version, so if you like the game please read on...

New:

You can play against the clock two ways
1. To guess a single word
2. See how many words you can get in a given time.

When playing against the clock & seeing how many words you can get I noticed that on rare occasions the same word came up twice, this has been fixed.

Playing against the clock certainly spices up the game!

Points & bonus stars

Every word you get correct you earn a point.
Get a word wrong and you lose a point.
Get to a specified number of points and you get a bonus star.

Bonus stars
When you are stuck on a word, you can press F1 or click on a star to reveal a missing letter - but you lose a star.

Spelling
I've added a UK version of the dictionary because in the UK, we tend to finish words with for example "sed", in the US they tend to be "zed".

You can choose which dictionary the game will use.

Either way, the dictionary is massively increased from 20,000 + words to 84,000 + words.

I have also written a nice easy help file that will come with it.

See attached screen shots.

Thanks,
Andy.

DeeCee

Cool! Sounds like so fun additions!

Andy

March 10, 2021, 09:42:39 PM #6 Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 04:02:45 AM by Andy
Thanks Doc!

And it will come with a challenge, Anne (my better half) loves this game, she's good at spelling (unlike me - reading some of my posts will prove that).

She's managed 32 words in 5 minutes (min 10 letters, max 19 letters).

So, when it's posted and people play it, let's see who can beat it!

Andy.