March 28, 2024, 11:26:25 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Constants search Program version 6.0 - A special.

Started by Andy, December 26, 2018, 04:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

December 26, 2018, 04:46:11 AM Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 05:06:50 AM by Andy
Here is a special release of my constants search program for you all.

This is version 6.0

What's in this special edition?

1. Navigation.

It struck me that you, like I will search for specific constants that relate to each other in some way / cross referenced.
So I've added in some navigation buttons and record your selections every time you click a constant in the list view control.

The navigation buttons:

NavFirst - Go to the first constant you selected. "|<"
NavPrev - Go to the previous constant you selected. "<"
NavNext - Go to the next constant you seleced. ">"
NavLast - Go to the last constant you selected. ">|"

NavGo ("Select") - selects this particular constant.
X - Go back to option one search, i.e. leave navigation.

2. Related constants button.

I noticed that many constants have in their description other constants named there / relevant in some way to that constant.
So if this is the case the new "Related constants" button is enabled.
When you click it, another screen appears with these "other" constants listed. You can click any of them to view their descriptions, jump to them in the main screen, search the Internet or even add them to the builder section.

3. Show value as decimal.

I also noted that when you refer to a constant in a sub class for instance, you need the value as an integer, so you also have an option now to show the constant value (if it's hex) as decimal.

4. Clicking the description box shows a new screen with enough room to show you the full description as I have it in the library.

The bottom line to all of this is that you can "follow" the "Information food chain" from one constant to others and back again.

Here is an example of following related constants:

1. Open the program, here it should be set to showing message constants for window controls.
2. Scroll down to find WM_DDE_ACK and click on it in the list view.
3. Now click on the "Related constants" button.
4. A new screen appears with seven other constants named in the description for WM_DDE_ACK.
5. Click on them in turn, you see their descriptions.
6. Choose one of them.
7. Click "Go to this constant".
8. The window will close, and the new constant is selected - you can do whatever you wish here.
9. Click the NavPrev button. "<"
10. WM_DDE_ACK will be shown in the search box.
11. Click "Select".
12. Repeat from step 3.

To come out of this navigation click "X".

You're now back to a normal option 1 search.

Think you get the idea after a short while, and how much more useful this new version is.

If you like the program, this is a must have special version.

As always, a pre-built exe file if you just want to link to it, other wise create a folder and copy the lib file to your IWBDev3\Libs folder. Leave all other files in your new folder. Open the project, compile and enjoy!!!!

Thanks,
Andy.

Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

fasecero

Andy,

Nice work! Every time I change the current constant with the navigation buttons I have to press the Search button to "reload" the constant description/value. Maybe this can be automated?

Related constants button is a nice addition, we can get an idea of the related messages more quickly. Once again thanks for sharing.

Andy

Fasecero and to all,

Thanks for the support!

So I have amended the program to do what you asked.

This is an amendment to version 6.0 above (attached is version 6.1).

This is version 6.1

1. This places your searched constant name in the search box.
2. The constant's value is shown in the value field.
3. Shows it's description if it has one.
4. You can search the Internet for it.
5. Create a windows message.
6. Copy the constant.
7. Add it to the builder.
8. Related constants can be shown.
9. You can now clear your search history at any time.

Hope this is what you wanted, and as always all suggestions are very welcome!

Please let me know if this helps...

Andy.
:)

Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

fasecero

Andy

Your very welcome!

It didn't take too long either, so I was glad about that.

I will still play around with the program, and I have a beta version of version 6.1 so that when you click the "X" close navigation box it goes back to what you were viewing / searching for before you selected a navigation button, i.e. restores the list view contents etc.

I'm still testing this one, looks okay, but if anyone wants a copy please message me.

Thanks,
Andy.
:)

Andy

Hi,

Brian spotted a small mistake in the library file, so I have amended it and also added in another feature to the main program.

At the bottom left of the screen, there is now a search box where you can enter some text to search the listview constant's names.

Example:

If you type in the word "set" (without the quotes), the listview view find the first occurrence of "set" in the constant's names.

You also have < > buttons to find the next / previous occurrence of the word you are searching for.

This update is program version 6.4 and library version 6.2

As always there is a pre built exe file.

For those of you who want to build it yourself, copy the lib file to your IWBDev Libs folder and compile the program as a project.

Thanks,
Andy.