March 28, 2024, 11:16:35 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Another Morse program

Started by GWS, October 23, 2018, 08:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GWS

Hi folks,

Here’s another Morse program.  I’ve made this one to run at 20 wpm.

My morse key is only a basic brass unit, so 20 wpm is about the fastest I can make the handle  go up and down .. ::)

The character sounds were generated using  Audacity â€" a very useful sound program..

You can listen to individual characters,  and then try to imitate the sounds as closely as possible.

This version also offers a Read mode, where you can open a window in which to enter some text,  and have the Morse code sent for you to listen to.

The text can be normal language â€" or extracts from amateur communications, such as:

WD9ZZ DE G4EVW R RIG IS TRIO TS120 QRP = ANT IS DIPOLE = UR RST 579 =  SO 73 ES GUD DX = WD9ZZ DE G4EVW  VA

The sounds and spacing use pretty accurate timings and play fine using the built in PlayWave function in Creative Basic.

I was surprised to find that the code for the $ currency symbol was only recently agreed, and there was no recognized code for the £ symbol  â€"  so I’ve invented one … (why not) :D

The $ is VU (…-..-), so I thought a reasonably matching code for the £  would be VS (…-…).

Sounds nice as well ..

Best wishes, :)

Graham
Tomorrow may be too late ..

Egil

Hi Graham,

I like your latest morse program. Ideal for enthusiasts wanting to learn morse code on their own!
So if you don't mind I'll pass it on to a couple of the local hams here with phone privileges only, hoping they can learn the noble art of morse code.
There is one, often used, character I miss though: "-....-" = (HYPHEN). And the code for error is eight dots, not six.

Thanks for sharing, and.... keep'em coming!

73 de Egil - LA2PJ

Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

GWS

Hello Egil,

Hope you are well .. :)

Glad you like the program.

The Hyphen character is just below the WAIT button.  The font doesn't make it very clear unfortunately - even though I increased the Font size.  ::)

OK about the Error code - I did find it as 8 dots in some references, but another reference had it as 6.  I always found hammering out 'HH' a bit excessive, so I thought 'SS' would be good enough to make the point. ;D

I made the sounds 'shaped' at beginning and end to avoid 'clicks' - it seemed to work well.

all the best, :)

Graham

Egil

Sorry, I wasn't able to spot the hyphen before you pointed out where to find it..... becoming old here.
Have used Audacity for years here, for recording and editing soundfiles that are later used as background sounds for a local amateur theatre group. Great fun!

Now I feel well again, and hope that all the weeks in hospital really killed the cancer. While I was there, i got an idea for making small amplified loopantennas for receiving. Waiting for parts before the print can be soldered and built into a weather-proof box. But today  the weather was very calm and sunny here, so I put two 60m long coaxes into the lawn, a foot or so below the grass. Also put down a thick uninsulated copper wire that will act as a ground connection for the loops. If all goes well, I hope it will bring new life into my SWL activities. Still have to figure out how to make a couple of signal splitters and switching arrangements, so the loop antennas can feed several receivers simultaneously.....

All the best,
Egil

Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

GWS

Wow .. sounds like you're busy.

I have to get the services of a TV aerial guy to erect my aerials nowadays.  My sense of balance isn't good enough for climbing ..  :)

all the best, :)

Graham