April 23, 2024, 11:09:43 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

IDE crashes

Started by jayelbee, August 16, 2023, 01:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

I run wine on Linux and it works fine.

Larry

jayelbee

.has anyone tried running an iwb compiled program that opens a file on the computer that crashes the ide?  Does that program also crash?

Brian

August 31, 2023, 09:11:58 AM #27 Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 09:14:00 AM by Brian
Jayelbee,

If it was myself that was having the problems, I would first run this from Microsoft to get rid of any IWB installations first:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/topic/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed-cca7d1b6-65a9-3d98-426b-e9f927e1eb4d

Then run the IWB installer as Administrator (right-click the exe and select 'Run as Administrator'). Choose 'Memory Stick' so the program is installed at "C:\IWBDev3"

Check the permissions on the IWBDev3 folder so that you have Full Control. Mine looks like this (attached)

Check your anti-virus, and make an exception not to scan on the IWBDev folder and files

Good luck!

Brian

jayelbee

Brian. - tried your idea.  Same results. 

I guess if Larry/Larry can't come up with an answer, I'll have to give up and admit ionic wind is shelfware for me. 

LarryMc

Quote from: jayelbee on September 02, 2023, 09:15:03 AMI guess if Larry/Larry can't come up with an answer, I'll have to give up and admit ionic wind is shelfware for me. 
I've  even paid a 3rd party to look into the problem to no avail.
Believe it or not the source code to IDE is pretty hard to follow (it built around a class) and it was written 5-7 years ago with the help of Sapero to debug it.  After not even looking at that code in all those years it's almost like looking at gibberish. So that has made it a relearning process in what else I might try in the code it self.

I'm at the point now I have dragged out the source code of the debugger I had started working on after I had finished IWB 3.0.  IF, and that's a big IF, I can get the debugger going maybe it can give me some insight as to the problem with the "crash" you(jayelbee) and I are having.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Brian

I last downloaded the 'iwb3setup.exe' on July 26, 2023 from the subscribers' repository. I ran it again yesterday (Sat) from the Desktop, just to test, and it worked flawlessly. Only thing I noticed was that in the Uninstall section of the Registry, the URL for ionicwind.com was misspelt wrongly three times, which I have adjusted

There is a free uninstaller called Geek Uninstaller available to download, which will delete problem installations completely, and professes to get rid of all the pesky Registry items that get left behind

Brian

Brian

Jayelbee,

You know, thinking about this problem, I don't recollect anyone else having this kind of problem before. Maybe you need to run a couple of Windows utilities

Start an Administrator Command Prompt (must be Administrator), and type:
chkdsk c: /f (or whatever drive letter your Windows installation is on)
This will find any errors on the drive, and fix them

Let this run, and then type, still as Administrator:
sfc /scannow
This looks for corrupt Windows System files, and replaces them. Could take a while, be patient

Let us know the outcome, if any

Brian

jayelbee

No problems with chkdsk or sfc.  Same results- ide crashes when trying to open any file or create a new file.

Brian

OK, worth a try, I guess, and won't have done any harm

Are you sure you have the correct rights on the IWBDev3 folder? Right-click the folder and select Properties > Security

Brian

Egil

Now my norwegian language setup also have issues with IWB. It behaves exactly the same way as describel by jayelbee. The last time I used the package was monday. Then everything worked as intended. But this morning it did not work any more.
I came to think of something... Is there any way I can start the IWB compiling/linking process using keyboard commands or a batch file?

Egil
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

jayelbee

This problem definitely seems to fall into the category of Windows breaking application software. I just read on another site that the FreeQ IDE suddenly no longer works

Egil

Quote from: jayelbee on September 19, 2023, 08:27:56 AMThis problem definitely seems to fall into the category of Windows breaking application software. I just read on another site that the FreeQ IDE suddenly no longer works

Maybe you are right. Reason for saying maybe is that the three software packages I know have stopped working as intended, all are based on the Scintilla source code editing component. And when you now have found another code editing program not working, it might as well be a Scintilla problem.

Regards,
Egil

LarryMc

Quote from: Egil on September 09, 2023, 02:34:48 AMIs there any way I can start the IWB compiling/linking process using keyboard commands or a batch file?
Egil

I am currently working on something along that line and LarryS is looking into the Scintilla library.
So we are not just letting it die a natural death.

LarryMc
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Egil

Quote from: LarryMc on September 20, 2023, 11:50:14 AMI am currently working on something along that line and LarryS is looking into the Scintilla library.

That's great Larry. And if it really is a Scintilla problem, do we really need it? I'm convinced that someone here on the forum will be able to write a suitable IDE, maybe one suitable for all three IW "dialects". By the way, has someone tried working with Aurora lately? If it still works, it might be a  good idea to inspect the source code for the Aurora IDE.

Good luck!
Egil

LarryMc

When I built the IWB IDE I looked at the possibility of using what I had learned, codewise, and making an IDE for Creative Basic and Aurora. In both cases it was the compiler code portions of the code that I couldn't make mesh up for me to make it work. So, I agree totally with the idea with having an IDE that looked the same for all 3 but I couldn't make it happen back then.

My brainstorm now is to let you write a iwb file in any txt editor and then compile it in my program that I'm going to call IWB-.
I'm calling it that since we have IWB and IWB+
LarryMc

jayelbee

For what its worth, wikipedia says that a new version

of Scintilla was released on 7/23/23.

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

I have the new src and comparing it to see what changed.

Larry

Egil

I'm just back home for the weekend, and go back to the hospital monday morning.
Today I suddenly remembered  the old EB installer that is free for paid members to download.
Since I got rid of the EB IDE long time ago, I downloaded and tried it on the same computer that now refuse to run IWB properly.
There are no issues at all with running EB on this computer. And since the difference between IWB and EB is minimal, I think I'll use it instead of IWB until the problems the "Larries" are working on is fixed.
I realize that any source code made with EB must be adjusted slightly to be accepted by IWB at compile time, but this might just be helpful for those struggling right now.

If you doesn't already have a copy of EB, it can be downloaded from this locoation:
https://www.ionicwind.com/forums/index.php?topic=4728.0

This might possibly buy some extra time for the "Larries" to fix the problems as well.

Good luck!

Egil

jayelbee

Any progress in the IDE problem?

LarryMc

currently waiting on a response from Microsoft
LarryMc

ckoehn

I have been reading this but have no explaination.  I personally have had no problem with Windows or the IWBasic program.  I am still on Windows 10 Pro though, and haven't tried uninstalling and reinstalling IWBasic.  With what has been reported here, I don't think I'm going to try it. 😊

Later,
Clint