April 18, 2024, 07:44:03 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Database Tool for Shortwave Listeners.

Started by Egil, June 21, 2017, 03:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egil

June 21, 2017, 03:41:26 PM Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 04:18:14 AM by Egil
Tonight I made a database wieving tool for use with the EIBI database (http://www.eibispace.de). Just to become familiar with the use of List View Controls. The program works well enough for SWL-ers trying to identify stations heard on their radios, but lack sorting functions. So wonder if someone knows how to sort the list to list a coloumn  in ascending order. Especially the UTC Coloumn. But have not been able to find a way to do it.
The source code and the CSV Database are included in the attached archive. The code works ok, but still need a lot of cleaning up. And maybe it can be redefined to be used in my still ongoing map project.

The attached database is maintained by Eike Bierwirth in Wiesbaden, Germany, and is based on on reports from active listeners.

Looking at the attached PNG, reveals that China is jamming the US based Radio Free Asia during the whole summer period and at the same time. Have not heard  the american  broadcaster here, but the chinese jammer is always strong when the band is open.

And finally, the method for detecting that the Enter Key has been pressed in an Edit Control, was posted by GWS a few years ago. Thanks Graham!

Egil

EDIT:
See later post for corrected code and updated database file.
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

Andy

June 21, 2017, 10:01:09 PM #1 Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 10:07:12 PM by Andy
Egil,

That's great work.

Here is something I posted to user offerings a while ago, it sorts listviews by taking one column and placing it in a hidden sorted listbox.

The listviews are then cleared and re-populated which is sorted, all the other corresponding data should be correct.

Have a look:
http://www.ionicwind.com/forums/index.php?topic=5344.msg39937#msg39937

If you need me to, I'll try to find an hour or two to help.

By the way.... this makes it my 1,000th post!

Andy.
Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

Egil

June 22, 2017, 02:32:21 AM #2 Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 02:36:17 AM by Egil
Thanks Andy,

Did not remember that post...
But using the same sorting method in my code will most probably do the trick. So now I have some studying to do.

Congratulations on post number 1000! Never thougth about counting my posts really,  but I see I have a long way to go if I try beating you. ;D

Egil

Brian

Egil,

This listview sort was done by Sapero, so I guess it's the right way to do it!

Brian

Egil

Quote from: Brian Pugh on June 22, 2017, 02:40:10 AMThis listview sort was done by Sapero, so I guess it's the right way to do it!

Thanks Brian,

Sapero really had a way to explain complicated stuff, making  it suddenly easy to understand.

Egil

LarryMc

Congrats on the 1000th post Andy. You're hot on my heels. Only 4700+ to go.  ;D
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

aurelCB

Very nice Egil,very nice  :)
I am interested for 11560
is that 25m?

Egil

Thanks Zlatko.

Yes, that freqyency is in the 25m band.

Egil

Egil

July 08, 2017, 12:02:11 PM #8 Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 04:19:54 AM by Egil
Three of my SWL friend have tested this program for approximately ten days, and they all suggested a small change in the program. Instead of sorting the stations by time, they all wanted an additional list, showing stations scheduled to transmit "now".
So here is the updated version.

Good luck!

Egil

EDIT:
I tried the program right now myself, and discoverred that if a station transmit "now" and continues into next day, the record is not recognized as "Transmitting now".
Therefore I deleted the zip archive, and will post it again when the issue is fixed. Just now I need some sleep....

EDIT:
The code is now corrected to detect that transmissions end the next day. Still not checking if transmissions only are done on specific weekdays though, but my SWL friends say that is of minor importance.
Included database was updated July 5th 2017, and is the latest issued.
AUser Guide will be posted later.

Egil

Egil

Discovered that the logic for the "Transmit now" filter was incorrect, lagging one minute in each end of the transmission period.

But replacing the line: if (left$(tmp$[1],4) < b$) & (right$(tmp$[1],4) >= b$ ) || ((tz + ta) >= 2400)

with:if (b$ >= left$(tmp$[1],4)) & (b$ < right$(tmp$[1],4)) || ((tz + ta) >= 2400)

rectified the problem.

Also found that I need to add code for validating the input. Hopefully I'll have that code at the same time the user manual is finished.

Egil

July 31, 2017, 05:22:02 AM #10 Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 05:26:13 AM by Egil
Have been away for some days, but finally made the user manual today.
My SWL friends wanted me to leave the frequency input the way it was, as they then could enter only two or three digits to get a list of frequensing starting with that sequence.
But for some reason they all wanted me to change the blue background color to dark red. (they said it was easier on their eyes when operating portable at night).

Attaching the source code and the final program.

Have fun!

Egil

Egil

Here is a new version of above program.
The "Transmit Now" filter did not list broacasts that started "yesterday", e.g. transmission started the day before the frequency was checked, and not yet  closed down. (Try entering 11680 kHz)

Also learned that my smartphone can be used as a portable Internet router. Therefore functions for checking Station IDs on the web were added. (See updated  User Guide).

Have fun!

Egil

Egil

Hi folks!

This program suddenly became very popular amongst SWL rookies, and I have received numerous suggestions on how to improve the program. Most of these suggest that the program show when the EIBI database was last updated. So I have added that information to the window caption. At the same time some misspellings  were corrected in the User Guide.

Regards,
Egil