April 25, 2024, 10:06:42 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Keeping a window topmost

Started by Andy, May 17, 2017, 12:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

Hi everyone,

I have a simple program which has one windows, and I use the topmost setting to ensure this windows is the one a person sees.

In Win 10, it works perfectly, but in Win 7 when running task manager, that appears on top instead.

How can I ensure this windows is always on top of all the others?

Thanks,
Andy.
:)
Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

LarryMc

I've never had that situation.
I'm still running win7 so I'll set up that situation when I get up tomorrow and have a look-see.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Andy

Thanks Larry, go get some sleep!
Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

Egil

Andy,

Discovered the same here a couple of years ago. On Windows7/Pro is does not matter whether you set Task Manager to always on top or not. It is just always on  top.
But on Windows 10 I was able to set Task Manager to "always on top" or not. So I just assumed that the Task Manager settings did not work properly on win7.

Egil
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

LarryMc

May 17, 2017, 05:32:10 PM #4 Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 05:57:09 AM by LarryMc
Andy
I don't know the exact scenario you are wanting to set up in win7 but it seems to me that things are working the way I would want them to work.
I created a program(the most recent one I helped Egil with) and added the @TOPMOST flag to the main window.
Since none of the other apps I have running have their @TOPMOST flag set Egil's program stays on top no matter which of the other apps I select.

I select CTRL-ALT-DEL to start TASK MGR and it opens the Task Mgr and it covers Egil's program (overriding that @TOPMOST flag with the task mgr's @TOPMOST flag ). So that duplicates your complaint.

But I'm of the opinion that if I open the task mgr I want it to over ride everything else going on on the screen so I think that would be the proper thing to do.

But to your point, I found that once I finished doing whatever I wanted to do in task mgr if I clicked any other app then Egil's app would regain its topmost status. And that includes clicking the minimized icons in the task bar.
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

LarryMc

Andy,
Can you shed some light on the scenario where you would want to have your window always stay on top of the task mgr window?

The major down side, as I see it, if you made your window full screen, a user would never be able to get to the task mgr.

That would be a no-no.
LarryMc

Andy

Thanks everyone,

It seems in this instance all the computers that will use this program (for a junior school) are windows 10, so that makes it easier as the problem has gone away.

Andy

May 19, 2017, 08:36:00 AM #7 Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 08:43:43 AM by Andy
Seems I might just be making a little head way as a freelance programmer.

The headmaster is abosultly thrilled with the program I've written, this will certainly help children to stay safe whilst using a computer.

And that can only be a good thing!

First time I've ever got 10 out of 10 from a headmaster. Lol

Andy.
:)

Egil

Sounds great Andy.

Congratulations!

Egil
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!