July 27, 2024, 12:57:53 AM

News:

IWBasic runs in Windows 11!

IDE crashes

Started by jayelbee, August 16, 2023, 01:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egil

Larry,
my tabletop was running on Windows 10 Pro. And that was the first pc IWB crashed on. When I discovered that it worked on a laptop using Win 11 Home, I upgraded my tabletop to Win 11. Then, while I was in Trondheim I came over a shop selling out all their stock as they were closing down. I boughrt another HP laptop running Win 11 Home for less than half original price.
That worked for the next three months. But after an update all three machines chrashed when loading source  files into IWB. Tried to cancel the update, but it did not work.

But EB and IWB version 2 still works here. Guess the difference between the two is only the names.
I don't know the doifference between  IWB version 2 and version 3, only know that version 3 does not work here. So far using the older versions have not been a real problem for me. But for users that only have version 3 I guess this can be a problem, as the different Windows versions seem to differ betrween countries. So maybe the users with version 3 only should be offered a download of version 2, so they are able to use IWB while waiting for the problem to be fixed.

This software behaviour is not for IWB only. I have five other software packets for radio use here that also behave the same way now, and other radio hams report that they have same problems with other software packets as well.

Till now all new windows versions where backwards conmpatible, but now I have the feeling that this policy is no longer supported by Microsoft. Which to me show that I can't trust them anymore.

I have granchildren using Rasberry PI only, for the same work as I use windows for. So maybe I should buy a Rasberry kit myself and start to program using C/C++ again. Must admit I'm tempted....

Regards from Norway!

Egil
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!