May 01, 2024, 03:06:13 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

IWB 3.0

Started by Egil, May 06, 2015, 09:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egil

Since it was made available I have used IWB 3.0 (or is it 2.99??) for all my programming work.
Have so far not had a single issue. The user interface is easier to use and my code compiles faster than with the "old" version.

I have one wish though. I like beeing able to just doubleclick the file I want to open, and let the editor open automaticly, therefore I have associated all source files with iwb3starter.exe to do this.
But since that exe has not been assigned any ICON resources, please assign an icon to it on the next compile. The "old" green icon will do fine, since it is different from all the other files generated in the directories used for developing.

Regards,
Egil.
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

LarryMc

I'll put it on my todo list.
Thanks.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

ckoehn

LarryMc, while you are at it, check the resource fields. When I set them and try to compile, it generates an error.  I have to use a text editor to make the rc file.

Later,
Clint

LarryMc

can you post or message me the exact data that didn't work for you so I can test it ?
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

ckoehn

I tried adding Version Info and a Manifest file.
This is the error during compile..

Compiling Resources...
Error!
Line 1 of Resource Script (C:\Users\Clint\Google Drive\IWBasic\Projects\MUA.RC):-
Misplaced quoted string:-
""

RES file not made
Error compiling resources

Compiling...
MUA.iwb
File: C:\Program Files (x86)\IWBDev3\include\unknwn.inc (40) Warning: Duplicate declaration of 'IUnknown', second definition ignored
File: C:\Program Files (x86)\IWBDev3\bin\iwbstd.incc (465) Warning: See previous declaration
Build Failed

This is the .rc file generated...
VER01 VERSIONINFO ""
MAN01 MANIFEST "c:\users\clint\google drive\iwbasic\projects\mua.exe.manifest"

In trying to load a manifest file, it truancates the last character too..

I think the rc file is suppose to look like this...

1 VERSIONINFO
FILEVERSION 1,0,0,0
PRODUCTVERSION 1,0,0,0
FILEFLAGSMASK 0x0000003FL
FILEFLAGS 0x0000000BL
FILEOS 0x00010001L
FILETYPE 0x00000001L
FILESUBTYPE 0x00000000L
BEGIN
BLOCK "StringFileInfo"
BEGIN
BLOCK "040904E4"
BEGIN
VALUE "CompanyName", "AquaTECH"
VALUE "Contact e-mail", "support.aquatech@gmail.com"
VALUE "FileDescription","MUA.EXE"
VALUE "FileVersion", "1.0"
VALUE "DevelopmentFile",""
VALUE "LegalCopyright","Copyright\251 2015"
END
END
BLOCK "VarFileInfo"
BEGIN
VALUE "Translation", 0x0409,1252
END
END

1 24 "MUA.exe.manifest"

Later,
Clint

LarryMc

It seems I've ran into a MAJOR problem with the '3.0' IDE.
I was going to address a couple of outstanding issues and it seems I can not recompile a working version of the IDE.
I've tried every copy including all backups that I have and it's a no-go.
I've tried it with the current 3.0,  2.5 and 2.0 versions of the compiler without success.

I have no problem compiling other programs, like Egils mapview program I've been working on.
It's just the IDE.
The most obvious problem is that the projectlist and output windows don't open.
If I go to the place where the OPENWINDOW commands are executed I see they return a code that says they were created successfully.  However, if I check their window.hwnd value immediately following those commands they are 0 indicating  the windows weren't created.
There's also a problem with some of the images in a multi-image bitmap not displaying.
All of this was working fine the last time I was actively working on the IDE.  Were it not, those who are using a 3.0 IDE right now(including me) wouldn't be using it.

So, until I get this resolved I won't be spending much time helping people on other issues.
LarryMc

ckoehn

LarryMc,  I feel your pain.  I know exactly what you are going though.  That kind of stuff happens to me too.

It usually is something quite simple that I overlooked or didn't know about.

Later,
Clint

LarryMc

I finally gave up trying today on my pc after spending a great deal of time bypassing coding to see if it was size issue somewhere.

I snatched my wife's compaq laptop that was a vista upgraged to win7 home professional.  I loaded the pseudo released 3.0  development system that I and others are using.
I then opened the iwp project that created it in the first placed and tried to compile it.

SUCCESS!!  It  seems there's something about my pc that has changed that it just don't like.

So I guess for now I will use my wife's laptop for the development platform for the IDE because I wasn't having problems with other stuff.

Boy, that's a relief.
LarryMc

LarryMc

Clint
With your resource file problem. You were using a project, but you put the following in your .rc file yourself (as oppose to using the resource feature of the IDE) and got the compile error as shown in your post? Is that correct?
1 VERSIONINFO
FILEVERSION 1,0,0,0
PRODUCTVERSION 1,0,0,0
FILEFLAGSMASK 0x0000003FL
FILEFLAGS 0x0000000BL
FILEOS 0x00010001L
FILETYPE 0x00000001L
FILESUBTYPE 0x00000000L
BEGIN
BLOCK "StringFileInfo"
BEGIN
BLOCK "040904E4"
BEGIN
VALUE "CompanyName", "AquaTECH"
VALUE "Contact e-mail", "support.aquatech@gmail.com"
VALUE "FileDescription","MUA.EXE"
VALUE "FileVersion", "1.0"
VALUE "DevelopmentFile",""
VALUE "LegalCopyright","Copyright\251 2015"
END
END
BLOCK "VarFileInfo"
BEGIN
VALUE "Translation", 0x0409,1252
END
END

1 24 "MUA.exe.manifest"
LarryMc

LarryMc

Clint
Nevermind

I have duplicated both of your stated problems and am now working on them.

Thanks for reporting the issues.
LarryMc

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

It compiles on my system?

Larry

LarryMc

Larry
Disregarding the resource issue everything compiles on my wife's laptop.  The problem lies with my PC.

As for the resource issue I have that fixed.
LarryMc

ckoehn

LarryMc,

Have our customer pages been updated with the issues that you have fixed?

Later,
Clint

LarryMc

Not yet. I've got one more issue I'm working on.  There will be an announcement when I get everything done.
LarryMc

Andy

Hi,

Not wanting to be left out, will IWB3 be available soon? and what will be the cost for it?

Also, Network client / server add on - could you write a peer to peer program with this, the kind you get with facebook and skype?
e.g. open a window and type / receive messages to/from friends?

Just wondering,
Andy.
:)

Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

LarryMc

Quote from: andy1966 on June 04, 2015, 06:35:52 AM
Not wanting to be left out, will IWB3 be available soon? and what will be the cost for it?
I've been trying to get started on it for release in the next two weeks.  (See my latest medical post elsewhere)
It is a free update for anyone who already owns IWBasic 2.x

Also, Network client / server add on - could you write a peer to peer program with this, the kind you get with facebook and skype?
I think so but not sure personally.
LarryMc

Egil

June 04, 2015, 12:09:10 PM #16 Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 12:11:46 PM by Egil

Both with Facebook and Skype you are communicating via a server, which is not peer to peer communication. Making such programs using the IWB Network Liberary should be possible.
For true peer to peer communications (directly between two or more computers), using UDP is the most effective method. But when trying to use the library for UDP protocol communications I ran into trouble, and never found a stable solution.

But fortunately, tools for UDP communications have been posted on the forum several times.  I used information from one of the old posts to make a network chat terminal program some years ago. (http://www.ionicwind.com/forums/index.php?topic=3349.0)

The file udp.inc in that archive contains all functions you'll need for UDP communications. If you plan to communicate via the Internet you'll also need some kind of error trapping protocol.
But if you plan to communicate on an inhouse LAN only, such routines are not really needed.

The UDP Chat program was also, with slight modification,  converted to CB code. (http://www.ionicwind.com/forums/index.php?topic=4425.msg34476#msg34476)
In both cases I have locked both receive and transmit channels to the same logical port, but this can easily be changed so they use different ports (for full duplex instead of semiduplex), or use transmit or receive only.

Good luck!
Egil
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

h3kt0r

Quote from: ckoehn on May 07, 2015, 04:51:14 PM
I tried adding Version Info and a Manifest file.
This is the error during compile..

Compiling Resources...
Error!
Line 1 of Resource Script (C:\Users\Clint\Google Drive\IWBasic\Projects\MUA.RC):-
Misplaced quoted string:-
""

RES file not made
Error compiling resources

Compiling...
MUA.iwb
File: C:\Program Files (x86)\IWBDev3\include\unknwn.inc (40) Warning: Duplicate declaration of 'IUnknown', second definition ignored
File: C:\Program Files (x86)\IWBDev3\bin\iwbstd.incc (465) Warning: See previous declaration
Build Failed

This is the .rc file generated...
VER01 VERSIONINFO ""
MAN01 MANIFEST "c:\users\clint\google drive\iwbasic\projects\mua.exe.manifest"

It won't work this way. I had success adding xp theme manifest to an application using a resource editor such as XN Resource Editor. You may try other programs listed at http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?sc=113

LarryMc

The error that Clint referred to has been duplicated and fixed and will be in the official release of 3.0 which I'm doing my best to get finalized.
LarryMc