March 29, 2024, 07:55:54 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Linking error

Started by pdelling, March 27, 2014, 03:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdelling

When compiling a project I get the following message(s)

Linking...
IWBasic Linker v1.11 Copyright © 2011 Ionic Wind Software
Generating daily_activity_menu.exe
Error: Unable to open output file daily_activity_menu.exe
Error(s) in linking daily_activity_menu.exe

If I close IWBasic and r-open the app this does not happen,
it primarily occurs after I have executed the project as if I
had left the exe file open??
What do I need to do to eliminaate this I am currently on V2.09
with windows

PD

LarryMc

you've got something wrong in your program  but I can't remember exactly what causes that.

Either post your entire code or email it to me so I can compile and run it to see what is going on.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Bruce Peaslee

I get a message like this when I try to compile and run a program that is already running.
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."
iTired (There's a nap for that.)
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles

LarryMc

Quote from: peaslee on March 28, 2014, 08:11:41 AM
I get a message like this when I try to compile and run a program that is already running.
You're right Bruce but you can also get the error when you close the program but the process is still running in task manager.

It seems like it happens when a window is closed in an odd way; I just can't remember.
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

LarryMc

Just remembered.  Seems like I've gotten that before when doing partial compiles and then relinking a multifile project.

But can't really tell without having the code to look at and compile.
LarryMc

AdrianFox

This happens to me ALL the time!  And it's always because I have incorrectly coded the 'close' routine.  I always solve it when I put in both CLOSEWINDOW and END in the appropriate places. 

The difficult bit I find is closing the program when it's still open as it often doesn't appear in Task Manager even though it is still running in the background.  Sometimes I have to start the computer again and delete the Exe file to recompile.
Adrian Fox

LarryMc

Quote from: AdrianFox on March 31, 2014, 04:41:31 AM
The difficult bit I find is closing the program when it's still open as it often doesn't appear in Task Manager even though it is still running in the background.
When it does that you are correct that it doesn't appear in Task Manager in the APPLICATIONS tab.
But if you look under the PROCESSES tab you'll find the exe file name that shows the process is still running.
Select and close the process and it should all go back to working.
LarryMc

aurelCB

I know that if you compile your program when you already have runing program
you create linking error with almost every compiler.
Problem with program termination is old and because we don't have control over
command END.
If you create 'close program' on API level then you can control far better program termination.
Two crucial api functions are PostQuitMessage and ExitProcess.