April 28, 2024, 02:13:36 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Help with Snippet Manager

Started by Columbo, August 20, 2014, 10:14:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Columbo

I just recently purchased the Snippet Manager. I have been looking at the 'Help' file to see how the program works but I can't find what I am looking for so I have a question for anyone who also uses the Snippet Manager.

I see that there are ways to add/import code files but if you don't want to add an entire file, is there no way to cut and paste a short piece of code into the Snippet Manager?  When I select "Add Snip" from the menu I get inputs for Title, Category, Author, Date, and File. I was expecting to get a small code window to paste some code into along with a description of the snippet.

LarryMc

From the Data Storage section of the IWSM help file:

Snippets are stored in a MSAccess© database.
The following information is stored in the database for each snippet:

Title - Must be unique for each snippet.
Category name
Author's name
Date
Filename - If the snippet has one.
Description - Max of 20,000 characters.
Code - The actual snippet code.  Max of 100,000 characters.
Associated file names - If the snippet has any associated files.

From the User's Database => Importing section of the IWSM help file:

5. File - File name for the snippet which is used during certain exporting functions.   Must be in "name.eba" format.
Optional entry.  Note:  If the user intends to add associated files to this snippet then the entry becomes mandatory.

Just leave the filename blank and click save.
Then the window will open for you to add your description and code snippet.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Columbo

August 20, 2014, 05:35:30 PM #2 Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 05:44:42 PM by Columbo
That works!   :)  Thanks Larry.

2nd question Larry.  Once a snippet has been added and saved can it be edited?  I was trying to edit a couple of snippets that refer to EBASIC in the description and change it to read IWBasic but I can't find an edit button and I don't get one when I right-click.

Thanks again.

LarryMc

Quote from: Columbo on August 20, 2014, 05:35:30 PM
That works!   :)  Thanks Larry.

2nd question Larry.  Once a snippet has been added and saved can it be edited?  I was trying to edit a couple of snippets that refer to EBASIC in the description and change it to read IWBasic but I can't find an edit button and I don't get one when I right-click.

Thanks again.
Right-click on the section you want to edit and select Edit from the popup menu.
Editing is covered in the help file under
User's Database => Editing

Just remembered, I'm using my user's database(which the above is true for)
I don't have the IWBasic database installed on this computer and I think I did make it write protected.

Besides EBasic code is a subset of IWBasic code so there's no reason really to change the word unless you have OCD  ;D
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Columbo

August 20, 2014, 10:12:06 PM #4 Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 10:14:08 PM by Columbo
Well, it is not just for changing the reference to EBASIC to IWBasic.  I used that as an example but there may be places where I would like to alter or improve the description. I tried the right-click and the pop-up menu does not contain an edit option, and that is why I asked.

LarryMc

With the program open click on File  and then move the mouse over Database.
Which option has the checkmark IonicWind or User's?
I bet it is IonicWind

From the help file Data Storage section

One file pair contains all the standard IWBASIC/EBASIC example programs and their associated files in a read-only format.

The other file pair is the user's database and will contain snippets created/added by the User.

LarryMc

Columbo

Yes, it is the IonicWind database. I didn't know that it was read only.