April 19, 2024, 02:05:20 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Print file in IDE v 2.5 dropping lines

Started by jayelbee, March 18, 2014, 12:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayelbee

It appears when printing to a Brother LASER printer, printing source code listings drops 8 lines on each page.  Has this been reported on any other printer type?  There is not a problem with this printing in the 2.0 version

LarryMc

No one else has ever posted any issue with printing and loosing lines on any printer.
And I can only test on my HP officejet.

Could you screenshot me a pic of the print preview window where you setup how you want it printed?
Also a screenshot of your printer setup dialog, especially paper selection and margins.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

jayelbee

Note print preview 1 goes to line 45,  preview 2 starts at line 53

LarryMc

I set up my preview window exactly like yours and everything works like it is suppose to.
I also have drivers for 2 different print to file programs and it works correct with them also.

The big difference I see is that in your screenshots you are missing more than just the 8 lines.
In the configure section on the left there is a box for Footnote. it is checked.  When that box is checked there should be a separator line after the last line that has the page number and a time stamp.  The way it should look is shown in my screenshot.

Do you have any other printers in the dropdown to try?
What about any print to fit option on your printer?                            
What about adjusting margins in your printer dialog?

In the IWB2.5 PP window uncheck the footnote box and see what changes.

Just for kicks, can you post the exact file this is happening on so I can see if it is something going on with the file.

And does this happen with every file you open in PP?

And, as I mentioned before, thanks for bringing this to my attention.
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

jayelbee

March 19, 2014, 06:51:20 AM #4 Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 07:15:04 AM by jayelbee
Tried the following:

Different printer - HP Deskjet
Different font - System
Varied the margin sizes

Same results - although unchecking the footer box made it drop 9 lins instead of 8
File was Bookshop- the eba and zip files I used were attached

Don't know if it makes any difference - I am running WIN 7 64 bit O/S  <<-- beginning to think this is culprit

Screen shots and zip files attached

Could he problem be .eba file instead of .iwb? - Can't imagine why it would make a diff. - Answer, no - renamed fiel .iwb and same

Tried files Win_cc.eba   and dbexample.iwb - same results

Also, printed file using TextEdit program and IWB2.0 - no problems in either

Just for S&G's - printed bookshop.eba in Aurora IDE - no problem

Note also. tried to copy the ctl.lib  file into iwd libs directory and it would not let me access the directory.  If ctl.lib is used in many programs, suggest you
make it part of standard distribution.

LarryMc

File works fine on my end.
And it's not WIN 7 64 bit O/S  because I'm running the same.

What screen resolution are you running?
LarryMc

jayelbee

LarryMc

Quote from: jayelbee on March 19, 2014, 08:43:37 AM
1680x1050 on 23 " monitor

mine is 1920x1080
can you change yours to something else to see if it has any impact?
be careful because it will rearrange any icons you have on your desktop
LarryMc

jayelbee

1680x1050 is max resolution on my monitor, but other lower (i.e. 1200x800)  resolutions have same problem

LarryMc

I guess I'll just have to play around with my source code and see if I can duplicate the problem.  If I can ever duplicate it I figure I can fix it.

BTW, if you actually print the preview does the printed page appear the exact same at the preview window?
LarryMc

LarryMc

Can you post your iwbdev.ini file that is in your /bin folder?
There's some info there I need to look at.
LarryMc

jayelbee

There doesn't seem to be any .ini files in the \bin directory or any other subdirectory under iwbdev or iwbdev2.5

yes printout matches preview

LarryMc

Only iwb25 has an ini file.
If you are hiding common file extensions it may be IWBDev and the type listed as Configuration...
If you  are not finding it post me a screenshot of your IWBDev25/bin folder that will help me see what is going on.
LarryMc

jayelbee

March 21, 2014, 12:23:49 PM #13 Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 12:28:47 PM by jayelbee
Screen shots of \bin directory with folder attributes and system attributes set to display everything

Is it possible that the .ini file was not included in the .zip file I downloaded?

LarryMc

QuoteIf you  are not finding it post me a screenshot of your IWBDev25/bin folder that will help me see what is going on.
I still need to see the screenshot of the IWBDev25/bin folder
LarryMc

jayelbee

March 21, 2014, 12:48:37 PM #15 Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 12:53:44 PM by jayelbee
Its the rightmost in the picture sent - what do you want? File sizes and dates?

LarryMc

My bad... my horizontal scrollbar was out of sight.(dealing with my sister (83) and her husbnd(86) poor healt today so am a little distracted.)
What the screenshot is telling me is that you selected the "PC" install when you installed iwb2.5.

in windows explorer go to c:\users
do a search for IWBDev.ini
when you find it send me a copy.

Also, how about reinstalling 2.5 again, this time with the memorystick option and put it anywhere but in the Program Files folder(i.e. accept the default location.

The two installation shouldn't interfere with each other.
See if you have the same preview issue in the new location.

And I do appreciate you having patience with me on this.
LarryMc

jayelbee

reinstalled as memorystick app in c:\iwbdev25

same results

attached is .ini file renamed iwbdev.doc since website won't let me upload an .ini file

jayelbee

Installed as memory stick application on old 32 bit WinXP system and print  WORKS correctly!!!!!!!!!

LarryMc

I have no earthly idea what is going on.

I took your ini file and plugged the relevant values into my ini file and still can't duplicate your problem.

And I don't know how/what to fix when I can't duplicate it.

I'll have to spend a significant amount of time going through my code line by line and see if I can stumble across something.
LarryMc

jayelbee

One thought - I have had some problems in Lotus Approach with the text in Message boxes if the application was
developed on a system with a 4x3 format monitor when running on a 16X9 format screen.

I also tried printing to a pdf file on my Win 7 system with the same results of dropping lines. 

Don't spend a lot of time finding this bug(?) for me, I can print a listing using TextEdit whenever I need a listing.  I guess I am still somewhat of a dinosaur, I find that a printed program listing works better for debugging than looking at the same info on a screen.

LarryMc

@jayelbee
With the data you sent that was generated with my test program I had a major breakthrough!
By using a couple of your numbers and forcing them into the regular program on my computer I was able to exactly duplicate your problem.

It has to do with the pixels per inch of your screen.
Now to see if I can do anything about it.
LarryMc

LarryMc

As it turns out, his monitor was returning 200 for the pixels per logical inch instead of 96.
That through all my calculations off for some reason.

I found a reference to the problem buried in the windows sdk  which stated some monitors return odd numbers or no numbers at all.

I modified the code to force the use of 96 regardless of what the monitor returns.
It appears everything now works fine although it does make a insignificant cosmetic change that most want even notice.

The mod will be in the next release of the IWB2.5beta.
LarryMc