April 20, 2024, 07:33:51 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Version 2.5 Installation

Started by Logman, October 25, 2013, 06:53:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logman

Larry:

Not sure if I've addressed Version 2.5 installation requirements, but I do have a request.

I understand the need for copyright security, but it sure would be nice if version 2.5 was capable of being installed on and used from a USB memory stick. I have several compelling reasons for this need when using IWBasic for programming at client sites.

The key reason is that I need to write scripts and small routines to access SQL and Access/Excel databases at government locations where my customers are not allowed to let me install IWBasic on their systems. Nor am I allowed for security purposes to take my own computer into their offices. However, I can program from CD ROM and USB devices.

Right now, there are a number of other BASICs that run from both USBs and CDs without having to make registry entries or fumble around with complex security validation schemes. I need to remain competitive with the larger programming houses and having onsite programming capability from an USB gives me that competitive edge. I don't have the resources to hire teams of offsite programmers to write some of the stuff I use and then to get SES-level approval to gain server access rights at customer locations.

Just a thought.

Logman
Education is what you get when you read the fine print.<br />Experience is what you get when you don't!

LarryMc

In the IWB 2.5 Development section there have been 7 updates that has mentioned the fact that version 2.5 does not use the registry.

There have also been 6 posts in the same section that mention installing ver 2.5 on a memory stick dating back to as early as April of last year.

So, yes, the installer gives you the option to install and run from a memory stick.

LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Logman

Thanks Larry.

I've been so busy writing a set of six publications that I couldn't remember addressing this issue.

It's great to know that version 2.5 will be supportable via USB.

Logman
Education is what you get when you read the fine print.<br />Experience is what you get when you don't!