April 28, 2024, 10:08:02 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Info Only Update 07-10-2013

Started by LarryMc, July 10, 2013, 05:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryMc

Over the last 4-5 years I have looked at various code involving splitter bars, but I had never had a real use for them.

When I started work on the new IDE I looked at them again but I couldn't figure out how to make them work in and MDI frame window and not interfere with the other "nomal" MDI child windows.
So I spent numerous hours working on the scheme to display the Project List and Output windows.
What I wound up doing was using dialogs with the SHOWMODAL command.
I then did a lot of GETSIZE/RESIZE to position them so they looked like they were an integral part of the main window.
In reality the IDE was one window and two child dialogs.  That kept the dialogs from interfering with the normal MDI child windows.
I thought I had gotten in working pretty smoothly.
That was until I started using the new IDE full time while working on the new grid control.
I discovered that the output window wasn't always going to its prevoious size when being minimize/maximize then restored.I spent a good deal of time trying to juggle things around to get it to do right and look right.  I really got frustrated.

So, 3 days ago I I loaded a slitter demo that uses IWBasic subroutines.  The subroutine declarations are almost identical to Fletchie's.  The demo is not a MDI window.

I stripped out the clutter, made the main window an MDI frame, and adding two child windows representing the project list and output windows.  then added to means to add MDI child windows to the main window.

With a lot of head scratching and trial and error I made a break through early yesterday morning.  After some tweaking and testing I determined that I had the basics of what I needed.  

Since then I have proceeded to make changes to my IDE code to incorporate the techniques.  I'm probably 90-95% done.
However I have enough done to see that it works as I(or anyone else) would expect it to work.

I'm hoping to have an update ready for distribution before the start of next week.

LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library