April 27, 2024, 07:26:28 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Info Only Update 08-16-2012 (WIP Help File)

Started by LarryMc, August 16, 2012, 11:00:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryMc

After a full week of not even thinking about the help file I found myself being rather slow at getting going again this morning. ::)
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

LarryMc

Back working on the Help file (until Bruce finds another bug in the 2.5 beta.)
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

LarryMc

This part is going slow.
1)I made a skeleton topic for every control that is currently available in IWB
2)I went through the appendix to make sure I had a list of every possible common control command.
3)I built a test program that contains every control.
4)Have now started through each control to get all the possible style flags, associated commands, and notification messages.
5)Now I'm going through each common control command and proving which control it will work with and which it won't.
As I do that I'm updating/rewriting the control's topic.

It is a slow process but I'm still making progress. So don't give up on me.
LarryMc

LarryMc

This help file is about to whip me.
I outlined in my previous post the setup I 'm using and how I'm going about things.
One of the things that I left out of the previous post was identifying the changes that having a manifest file will cause.

As an example, how many people know that the SETCONTROLCOLOR doesn't work on @SYSBUTTON controls UNLESS you have a manifest file where the command will use the background color value only and apply it to the border of the button.

So, in the beginning I thought I was going to knock the controls section out in no time. Yeah..., right.
First there were no sections in the current help file for specific info on buttons, checkboxes, radio buttons, and groupboxes.
There was some bits and pieces of info about them scatted here and there.
On top of that there is zero about region buttons in the help file.

so, although there is a lot of info in the current help file there is also a lot missing.  What is there is really scattered around in some instances.
I really appreciate some of the complaints from the past about being able to find stuff and the need for it to be all in one place.

If I can EVER get through I think people will recognize the vast improvement in the revised help file.
LarryMc