April 24, 2024, 07:44:02 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

A little bit of DX

Started by GWS, December 01, 2012, 08:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GWS

December 01, 2012, 08:55:26 PM Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 09:07:02 AM by GWS
Hi,

Adrian Fox has pointed out that one of the Learning how to program files had somehow got corrupted (the Programming 7 example).

I've corrected the problem - I hope ..  :) so the .zip file should be OK now.

But since it's getting near Christmas, I thought the example nice enough to post again.

It's attached to this post ..

all the best, :)

Graham
Tomorrow may be too late ..

GWS

Adrian's still having problems running this program on Windows 7.

Apparently it can't create a new DX map using the DXNEWMAP() function.

I'm running Win XP and it's fine on that.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Just wondering if it's a Win7 problem or something else.

Graham

Doc

What a beautiful scene, Graham!

..I'm running dual screens on an older laptop, with Windows 8 and it runs just fine.

The desktop portion of Windows 8 is basically just an updated Win 7 I think.

-Doc-

GWS

Doc,

Thanks for trying it out .. it is nice isn't it - took a lot of Photoshop work to get the effect, but it was worth it. :)

It's a puzzle why it won't load for Adrian on his Win 7 starter edition netbook ..

Graham

AdrianFox

December 03, 2012, 03:30:45 AM #4 Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 11:16:52 AM by AdrianFox
UPDATE ON UPDATE:  Although the change below 'works',  I've just found GWS's 2010  Xmas card which uses  exactly the same screen size (1024x768), and yet that works fine.  Must admit I am now  totally perplexed!

UPDATE:  Found the problem, or at least this solves it.   The screen size is 1024 x 768 which my netbook cannot cope with.  By changing each of the size  parameters to 800 by 600 it now works fine.

Original post....

Works fine under XP for me, but on this pesky little netbook (Windows 7 Starter) it won't run either the compiled exe file or .cba file.
The error message running the exe file is 'An error has occured (sic) line number 25' and then ends with a 23, if that means anything to anybody.  I've just noticed that the music plays ok in the background though nothing visible on screen so it has only 'half' crashed!  

Any suggestions (other than getting an upgrade to Windows 7 Starter edition) would be welcome!

;D

Adrian Fox

AdrianFox

December 03, 2012, 04:35:59 AM #5 Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 04:47:29 AM by AdrianFox
Here's another bizarre problem. I can't get the music midi file to function now.  What is bizarre is that it WILL work when all the files are in the directory at c:\cbfiles\cbafiles  but NOT when they are located quite far down in c:\program files\CreativeBasic\MyProgs\lessons.
I've checked carefully of course to ensure ALL the necessary files are located in the same directory  as the .cba file in both instances and the midi files work in both cases/locations when I just click on them to 'run' them using MS Media Player.
Anybody know why this might be occurring? Is there some kind of limit for the number of sub directories you can use 'safely'?  Even more bizarrely, when  I compiled the program in the 'deeper' directory and then moved the exe I created to the first 'shallower' directory, then it works.  Is it Microsoft or CB which is 'losing its way' trying to find the midi file, I wonder?
Adrian Fox

AdrianFox

Thanks for the help Graham.  Imitation is the greatest form of flattery!   :D
Adrian Fox

Bill-Bo

December 03, 2012, 06:49:57 AM #7 Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 06:52:12 AM by Bill-Bo
Adrian,

Xmas will not run for me. It cannot find
d3drm.dll. ???

That smilely face that turned up was
3 question marks.

Bill

AdrianFox

That's probably because you are running Windows 7?  Graham answered my query about why I couldn't originally get this DX prog to run with the news that some versions of Windows 7 lacked the d3drm.dll file.

There is a link where you can download it:
http://www.ionicwind.com/forums/index.php?topic=4392.0

If you scroll down Larry has put a download link in his post there.   You copy it to the windows/system32 directory of course.

It sounds like this must be why the file won't run, unless you have already successfully run Graham's program?

Let me know the result!
Adrian Fox

GWS

December 03, 2012, 11:45:45 AM #9 Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 03:32:00 PM by GWS
Adrian,

Wow! .. that's a really nice Xmas scene - thanks  ;D

You've got the hang of this already. I really hope you get as much satisfaction out of Creative as I have over the years.

I'm not much help with your strange events - I try to keep everything to do with a given project in one directory - and so far, I've not encountered any problems, other than due to my own programming  ::)

If I copy or move a project to another location, I always load the .cba code from the new directory afresh, so Creative knows where it's 'getstartfile' is pointing.  Seems to work OK that way.

Graham

Bill-Bo

Adrian,

I downloaded and installed the dll, and,
pardon the language, it's a damn nice
scene.

Thanks,

Bill

GWS

Bill,

Hooray! .. another satisfied customer ..  ;D

This stuff takes a bit of beating - and I've tried most of the other programming systems.

Graham