April 26, 2024, 08:41:33 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

New Project Dialog - Missing Make Folder?

Started by Doc, November 27, 2012, 04:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc

Hi LarryMc,
I was just trying out the latest demo that you uploaded a little bit ago and noticed a small oversight or what might qualify as a new suggestion if need be.  ;)

...when trying to create a new project, the "folder path" dialog doesn't allow the user to create a new folder, in addition to selecting an existing one. These days it seems that I don't always communicate all that well at times, so I've attached an image for reference purposes. (A picture is worth a thousand words or better than two or three sentences from a worn out old Doc.  ;D )

-Doc-

LarryMc

That dialog is a shell api browse for folder function.  It says to use a certain flag to DIS-able the create new folder button.
I'm not using that flag so I have no idea why the button is not appearing.

However, as it is coded right now you can easily create a new folder from the dialog.

Browse to the folder which will be the parent of the folder you want to create.
When you return from the browse type the name of the folder you want to create on the end of the path.
When you click OK you'll get a messagebox saying folder does not exist, create?Y/N

Click yes and it will create the folder.
In the mean time I will look further into why the new folder button isn't there.

Thanks for the feedback.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

LarryMc

As one of my grand-daughters use to say, "The problem to the matter is..."

After playing with the flags and the callback subroutine I can't have my cake and eat it to.

Right now, with no new folder button the browse dialog will open up and scroll to the preselected folder I've passed to it.
That scrolling is done in an initialize routine in the callback that also loads that full path in the caption

When I make it display a new folder button the scrolling doesn't take place.
I know the message in the callback is getting there because the proper folder is selected and the path is in the caption bar but the treeview just doesn't scroll.

So, do I make the button appear and force the user to scroll down to where the current folder is selected or,
do I leave the button off, have it scroll automatically, and let the user type the subfolder after returning(if needed)?
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

LarryMc

my pref is to leave it like it is.
If I change it there are 2 things that happen that I don't like
1) I have to scroll everytime I want to add a folder
2) if I hit the new folder button it is created. period; no chance to change my mind

Comments?
LarryMc

Doc

Quotemy pref is to leave it like it is.

With those options, I completely agree... no good reason to go there.

-Doc-