April 30, 2024, 05:16:17 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Converting EBasic programs to IWBasic

Started by grid51, July 15, 2012, 01:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grid51

Hi all.
As per issues with windows 7 and EBasic I'm looking at converting EBasic programs to IWBasic. Can someone tell me what I need to change and or the differences ?

Thanks

LarryMc

Quote from: grid51 on July 15, 2012, 01:01:34 PM
Hi all.
As per issues with windows 7 and EBasic I'm looking at converting EBasic programs to IWBasic. Can someone tell me what I need to change and or the differences ?

Thanks
Nothing. Not even the file extension.
IWBasic is a superset of EBasic
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

grid51

Thanks Larry
now I'm using 1.8 IWBasic will it work with that ? or do I need 2.0 ?
I'll prob be buying that later.

LarryMc

Quote from: grid51 on July 15, 2012, 04:28:34 PM
Thanks Larry
now I'm using 1.8 IWBasic will it work with that ? or do I need 2.0 ?
I'll prob be buying that later.
same answer
IWBasic 2.x is a superset of IWBasic 1.x
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

grid51

Well I do have to change the file extention to the source otherwise it only compiles once. Same problem I had with EBasic.

grid51

Funny it will only compile once as eba but no problem after relabeled iwb
what do you think is going on there ?

LarryMc

I have no idea.  I compile eba files in IWB2.x all the time without any problems.
LarryMc

AdrianFox

Sounds to me like the 'open file' problem, but quite why it happens with IWB and not EB I have no idea.  Have you tried finding the last exec file you created, deleting it (you may find this needs some kind of 'shred' program as otherwise windows tells you it is being 'used' and still open) and then trying recompile? 
This happens to me quite a lot usually because there's something that fails to close the program properly after a bug while compiling/running it.
Adrian Fox

LarryMc

Now, there is a problem with the debugger that will act sort of like you describe.
But it only shows up for me when the Debug option is selected.
LarryMc

grid51

EBasic won't recompile without exiting the compiler and restarting it. That's why I'm trying to use IWB because it does fine. But I do have to change file extentions on the EBA source files.
Now you might have something on the debugger. I did have that option checked.
I'll try another EBA program without it and see if it works that way.
But to debug I'll still have to change the extention.
By the way I'm using windows 7.

grid51

Well I tried another EBA file and compiled it first time without the debug option checked and guess what ? It works. And after that first time I can use the debugger option. So this will make it easy to convert the EBA files. Just have to remember to make sure debug is unchecked the first time around.
Thanks for the help.
Quick question while we're here. If I buy IWB 2.0 do I get the next upgrade free ?
Thanks again

LarryMc

As I have mentioned elsewhere, I am working on the debugger portion of the new IDE.
One of my checklist items is to make sure that problem is gone in the new version.
QuoteIf I buy IWB 2.0 do I get the next upgrade free ?
I have no idea how LarryS is going to handle that; especially since he stated his intent to release IWB2.x with the new IDE prior to releasing IWB3.0 which will be for x32 and x64 systems.

The normal procedure is to offer minor  upgrades for free (x.1,x.2.x.3) for free and major upgrades (2.0, 3.0,4.0) for a fee.
LarryMc

grid51

I see. Well do you have any idea when the 3.0 will be released ?

Thanks

LarryMc

LarryMc

grid51

I think I found my problem. I just needed to increase stack memory. On the other compiler I had done that. I remember now having the same problem till I did that before. As my programs got bigger they took more memory.
Thanks for all the help. So it wasn't windows 7 afterall.

grid51

I thought I found the problem but no still having same problem
It seems to be almost intermitant not sure what's going on.

LarryMc

Post a copy of you program and I'll see if I can help.
Or you can email me a copy.
LarryMc

grid51

ok here is the problem. I can load and compile a program fine the first time.
Then I run it. Then when I try to recompile I get errors.

/*
EBASIC example program
Shows a bitmap button
Compile as a WINDOWS target
*/

DEF d1:DIALOG
CREATEDIALOG d1,0,0,295,168,@CAPTION|@SYSMENU|@SIZE,0,"Bitmap button test",&main
CONTROL d1,@Button,"",0,0,100,100,@CTLBTNBITMAP,3

DOMODAL(d1)
END

SUB main
select @class
   case @IDINITDIALOG
      centerwindow d1
      SETCONTROLTEXT d1,3,GETSTARTPATH + "bug.bmp"
      SETCONTROLCOLOR d1,3,RGB(0,255,0),RGB(255,0,0)
endselect
RETURN
ENDSUB

that's just one of the sample programs that came with IWB
it does it too
any of them do
I'm running windows 7
XP works fine

Compiling...
bitmapbutton.iwb
No Errors

Linking...
IWBasicLinker v1.12 Copyright © 2009,2010 Ionic Wind Software
Generating C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\bitmapbutton.exe
Error: Unable to open output file C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\bitmapbutton.exe
Error(s) in linking C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\bitmapbutton.exe

that's what I get. the only way to fix is to exit IWB and restart it

LarryMc

Uncheck the debug flag unless you really, really need it to find a bug.
I know there is a problem  with the debugger for IWB2.x and I think it was there in 1.735.

It forces you to close the IDE because it is retaining control of the exe file and when you compile it has to delete the existing exe and it can't because it hasn't been released. I have that problem right now on my win7 x64.
LarryMc

grid51

that does seem to be related to the problem I also see the process is still running
that's a bit unhandy as I'm trying to debug program

grid51

once I get the error unchecking the debug doesn't help how can I stop the process from running ?
as that seems to be the problem
processes stop on XP but not on Win 7
thanks for helping by the way it is appreciated

LarryMc

you have to close the IDE and reopen it.
LarryMc

grid51

and yes I do need the debugger to find a bug
thanks