April 18, 2024, 05:08:47 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Linking error

Started by Andy, September 17, 2011, 12:38:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

Hi,

I don't know if this has been reported before, or it's just something i'm doing wrong?

When i'm writing some code example:

IF something = this
   do this
   do that

I compile the code  -  and it's wrong  -  i have made a simple mistake

i have missed the ENDIF statement.

So, i now correct it to read

IF something = this
   do this
   do that
ENDIF

It compiles correctly, no errors but it gives a link error

No Errors

Linking...
IWBasicLinker v1.12 Copyright © 2009,2010 Ionic Wind Software
Generating C:\2\projects\Test.exe
Error: Unable to open output file C:\2\projects\Test.exe
Error(s) in linking C:\2\projects\Test.exe

I have to quit IW, re-open it, re-compile and everything is ok!

The same is true for any mistake i make not just ENDIF statements.

is this a bug or am i doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Andy.

Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

LarryMc

The link error you are getting is due to the the process still running.If you go into task manager when you get that link error look under the process tab and in the list you will see that you program is really still running.

The link error you are getting is because the linker needs to delete the existing exe to create the new one and it can't be delted while it is running.

Evidently your program isn't closing correctly.

At least that has always been the case when I've seen that error.

The next time it does it post the defective code and I'll run it to see where the problem is in your code.

LarryMc
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Andy

Hi Larry,

Thanks for replying,

I have checked Task manager numerous times to see if the process was still running but it wasn't.

I have just written an example program which has the same problem:

DEF a,b:int

OPENCONSOLE
PRINT "hello"

IF a = 5
   b = 10
ENDIF

DO:UNTIL INKEY$ <> ""
CLOSECONSOLE
END

Now, if you first remove the ENDIF statement you'll get a compile error.

Then I correct the mistake by adding the ENDIF to the code - recompile it - ok
but I still get this linking error.

So I quit IW, restart it, recompile and everything is ok.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andy.

Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

billhsln

I have had this problem also.  It seems to make you exit the compiler to fix it.  Maybe a link to the executable is not closed when the program aborts??

Just a thought,
Bill
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

LarryMc

@Andy

I tried your little test program and I did exactly as you said you did and it all works as expected for me.
No problem at all when I put the endif back.

Are you running the most recent version;announced yesterday?

Did you install as admin?

LarryMc
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Andy

Hi Larry,

Yes, I installed it as admin.

Ok, I will try the latest version, do I download the trial version again (presume this is the new version / update) and put my existing key in or is there a link to the latest version.

Sorry for such a stupid question!

Thank you to bill as well for his reply.

Thanks,
Andy.

LarryMc

September 17, 2011, 10:39:24 PM #6 Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 10:41:22 PM by LarryMc
If you didn't get a PM from Larrys in the last couple of days telling you how to get the latest you need to contact him to make sure you're in the database for the update scheme.  http://www.ionicwind.com/forums/index.php?topic=4723.msg36648#msg36648

LarryMc
LarryMc

Andy

Hi Larry,

Thanks, found the email was buried in with the 'junk emails', have not marked it as 'not junk' so I will get them no problem.

I have download the latest version however i am now getting numerous compile errors when I try to compile the Browser_Test2 example.

Compiling...
browser_test2.iwb
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (96) Error: syntax error - ,
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (97) Error: syntax error - ,
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (100) Error: syntax error - ,
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (101) Error: syntax error - ,
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (102) Error: syntax error - ,
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (103) Error: syntax error - ,
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (104) Error: syntax error - ,
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (107) Error: syntax error - ,
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (110) Error: syntax error - ,
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (111) Error: syntax error - ,
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (112) Error: syntax error - ,
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (113) Error: syntax error - ,
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (115) Error: syntax error
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (138) Error: syntax error - ,
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (139) Error: syntax error - ,
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (145) Error: syntax error - ,
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (146) Error: syntax error - ,
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (149) Error: syntax error - ,
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (150) Error: syntax error - ,
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (175) Error: syntax error - ,
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (199) Error: syntax error
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (200) Error: syntax error
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (201) Error: syntax error
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (210) Error: syntax error - ,
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (213) Error: syntax error - ,
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (216) Error: syntax error - ,
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (219) Error: syntax error - ,
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (222) Error: syntax error - ,
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (225) Error: syntax error - ,
File: C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb (228) Error: syntax error - ,
Error(s) in compiling C:\Users\Public\Documents\IWBasic\projects\browser_test2.iwb

Sorry for being a pain but Help!
Andy.

Andy

The previous compiler version was 2.005 (with no errors) if that is any help

Andy.

LarryMc

You really need to read your unread posts when you sign on.
It's been less than 48 hours since I answered the browser issue:

http://www.ionicwind.com/forums/index.php?topic=4723.msg36682#msg36682

LarryMc
LarryMc

Andy

Larry,

I do my up most not to pester you or anyone else when I have a problem, i am always grateful when you or anyone else helps, but the goal posts keep moving.

Also, it is not always easy to find an answer to a problem as an original post might ask about something unrelated and only later does it lead to the answer you are looking for.

Finally, this site used to tell you when you had new messages, again the goal posts have moved, perhaps if you gave people the time to "catch up" you might not have to answer what you may consider silly questions.

Andy (customer).

LarryMc

Quote from: andy1966 on September 18, 2011, 05:27:08 AM
I do my up most not to pester you or anyone else when I have a problem, i am always grateful when you or anyone else helps, but the goal posts keep moving.
This is the first of two references to the "goal posts moving".  I can't figure out what this one is referring to.  You're going to have to help me out here so I can understand.

Also, it is not always easy to find an answer to a problem as an original post might ask about something unrelated and only later does it lead to the answer you are looking for.
I'll admit to that being my fault. I should be more stern about people making off topic post.  But I really hate trying to act like mother to people so I let it slide more often then I should.

Finally, this site used to tell you when you had new messages, again the goal posts have moved, perhaps if you gave people the time to "catch up" you might not have to answer what you may consider silly questions.
This comment really has several components to it.

this site used to tell you when you had new messages - Since you use "new messages" I assume you did indeed mean PMs and not posts.  When we were being hacked (multiple times) LarryS had to relocate and basically recreated the site on a new server. In the shuffle that feature was apparently lost.  I have no idea if that was a specific modification to the forum software by the previous owner or if it was one of 100's (if not thousands) of available addons for the forum software.  I'll look and see if I can find that today and, if I can, see if it has a version that corresponds to our version of the forum software.  I guess I never looked into it before is because, in my profile, I have set the option to have an email sent to me any time I get a PM.

Now, if you meant posts instead of PMs then that is a new issue.  When I look at the main forum page, all the boards that have posts I haven't read have the icon on the left change color. That works for me.  Also, clicking the unread post text at the top of the page shows me all the post I haven't read yet.  If that is not happening for you we need to know.

perhaps if you gave people the time to "catch up" you might not have to answer what you may consider silly questions
I can't find anything in my response that would lead me to believe I thought your question was silly.  What I do find is my comment suggesting you should read new posts. So, the question is, why would I make the suggestion?  It was because you appeared to have not read the post about the browser code errors.  And right before that you appeared not to be aware of LarryS' post about the new improved way for customers to get the latest version of the program and that there was a latest version available (in announcement post I had made evening of the 16th). My response was to suggest, what I thought, would save you some headaches in the future.

...perhaps if you gave people the time to "catch up" you might not have to answer ...
I see that as a "lose-lose" suggestion.  What that is telling me is you think that when a person post a question that if I know it has already been answered I should wait for some period of time before responding in order to give the member time to discover it while they are "catching up".
That would lead me to be a smart-ass and ask the question of how long should I wait before I respond to a member's question, especially when I know it was just answered.  What I try to do is respond to members questions as fast as I can and provide the most help that I can.  Sometimes members ask questions I have no idea how to answer and I don't respond.  And I hate that.

Had the answer to your two issues (browser and update) been posted a week, month, or longer ago I would not have made the suggestion about reading the new posts; just as I don't tell people to use the search engine.

The bottom line is my response was meant to help and you apparently saw the suggestion as some sort of insult.  For that I apologize.

Andy (customer).  
and yes, I'm fully aware that you are a paying customer ;)

So, you keep asking whatever questions you want , anytime you want, and we'll continue our best to answer them.

The worst thing that can happen (it has happened to me multiple times) is that you ask a question and the response is a link to an old topic where the question was previously answered.  You go to that topic and find that you were the one who asked the same question previously and have absolutely no memory of ever asking before. ;D

LarryMc
LarryMc

Andy

Hi Larry,

Think it is time to put this post to bed.

So In reply to you last post I would like to finish off by saying:

1. Goal posts moving - this was referred to the fact that I have upgraded from EB to IW in May, and I had to rework many lines of code so that my programs would compile again in IW which I can accept and that is what I did.

But since May, apart from one update you told me about (just a few days ago) I have had nothing else with regards to any new version of IW.

Once I downloaded the update I then find I have to rework my programs again by adding () to many lines of code, because of a new compiler version, even the example programs would not compile hence I had to post a question on that - this is what I meant by the goal posts moving.

Time to catch up refers to me and not any of the IW team.

2. Not always easy to find answers, I think this post is an example, as just one simple question has gone off in a tangent to the original one.

3. Most importantly, I must say that I never expect anyone just to "jump to it" when I ask a question, I always think anyone who tries to help me is received with gratitude rather than expectation.

4. Posts, emails, texts etc can be impersonal and can loose their context.

I have said it before and will say it again, Thank you for all your help in the past and hopefully for the future.
:)

Andy.

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

These issues were all my fault.
I was pushing too hard to get features I wanted added to the compiler.
In doing so Sapero cleaned up some old code and brought other code up to date.
I pushed out the releases too fast and created the mess many encountered.
I have since learned from my error and will not release anything until tested.
In the last release - it underwent beta testing, but we missed the () issue.

IWB2 was a big re-write, it put us in position for bigger things in the future but
I realize I could have done a better job of testing.

You have my apology for problems I caused you.

Larry

Andy

Hi Larry,

no problem,

keep up the good work! we all need you.

:)

Andy.

grid51

I am using 1.735 and still having problems with windows 7
it seems buggy
compile problems I first thought increasing stack size fixed it but no
I get same errors have to keep exiting and restarting compiler to fix
even debugger doesn't seem to be working right
not closing program etc do you have to put () after subs ?

LarryMc

Quote from: grid51 on August 05, 2012, 06:26:30 PM
do you have to put () after subs ?

do you mean in the SUB statement or when you call the sub?
this is correct
mysub()

SUB mysub
return
endsub

if you need help with your code then post it and we'll see if we can fix it.
LarryMc