March 29, 2024, 02:10:49 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Tab Control Editor - Focus Problem

Started by Doc, July 10, 2011, 03:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc

Hi LarryMc!
...you may have wished that I stayed away before it's all said and done.  ;)

When using the Tab Control Editor, I seem to be having issues with losing focus when editing any of the fields on the right side of the interface. For example, when changing the "Tab Text", every keystroke including space requires that I click back into the edit field before continuing with the next keystroke. Same situation for all three entry fields.

It appears that as you enter a key, it automatically updates the preview window causing the loss of focus in the edit control. Somehow I think that resetting the focus after updating the preview would solve the problem, but I'm not certain how easy it would be to keep track of which of the 3 edit fields require focus at any given time. Might be better to update the preview window only when a given edit field loses focus (tab out, enter key press, etc) rather than one keystroke at a time.

It's useable as it is, but what should be a simple process is a bit non-productive and annoying as it is. Sorry.  :-\

All in all though, with a little bit of fine tuning and after I have time to get familiar with IWB+ interface, I think it will be awesome to use on a regular basis.

-Doc-

LarryMc

thanks for the feedback, I'll look into it.

LarryMc
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

LarryMc

fixed, will be in next update.
Thanks for reporting Doc

LarryMc
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Pip1957

July 10, 2011, 11:34:51 PM #3 Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 11:50:50 PM by Pip1957
Larry the edit boxes all lose focus in menu editor and toolbar editor and need re-clicking on my system when changing them win7 64bit.

Great program by the way cheers :)

LarryMc

Quote from: Pip1957 on July 10, 2011, 11:34:51 PM
Larry the edit boxes all lose focus in menu editor and toolbar editor and need re-clicking on my system when changing them win7 64bit.

Great program by the way cheers :)
Thanks, will check them out.

LarryMc
LarryMc

LarryMc

for me, the menu editor edit controls only lose focus when I click the update/preview but which recreates the preview window and gives it focus so the user can click on a menu option and see the result.

That's the way it is designed and is different than the way the tab and toolbar editors work.  With those editors focus doesn't have to be given up in order to see the changes.  The user doesn't have to inneract with those preview windows.

You're welcome to discuss the menu editing operation further if you desire. Otherwise, it will stay the way it is.

The fix for the toolbar editor focus will be in the next release.

Thanks for reporting.

LarryMc
LarryMc

Doc

Thank you Sir!
...I'll download the update and give the TCE another test spin. Any fixes you may have made to the menu editor is just gravy to me, since I haven't even tried it out yet.  :D

Thanks!

-Doc-

Doc

That took care of the focus problem on the Tab Control Editor, thank you.  :)

On a side note and not really too much of a big deal...
When you edit an existing Tab Control in the editor, it does update in the live preview, but when you go back to the form designer, the changes are not made apparent there until you close the project and reopen it again.

The saved changes -are- made when compiling whether the preview in the form designer show them or not.

Is that your intended behavior?

-Doc-

LarryMc

try it by editing the tab control and then go back to the form editor and click on the tab or on the form  and let me know what happens.
I'd do it myself but I'm working on the hardware and a mirror for anantque dresser for my granddaughter.

LarryMc
LarryMc

Doc

Quote from: LarryMc on July 11, 2011, 07:29:12 AM
try it by editing the tab control and then go back to the form editor and click on the tab or on the form  and let me know what happens.

On my system at least, the -only- way I've found to get it to update in the form designer preview is to close the project and reopen. Clicking the tab or form seems to make no difference.

-Doc-

LarryMc

OK, I'll add it to my 'look-at' lists.

Thanks

LarryMc
LarryMc

LarryMc

Quote from: Doc on July 11, 2011, 07:23:18 AM
On a side note and not really too much of a big deal...
When you edit an existing Tab Control in the editor, it does update in the live preview, but when you go back to the form designer, the changes are not made apparent there until you close the project and reopen it again.

The saved changes -are- made when compiling whether the preview in the form designer show them or not.

Is that your intended behavior?

-Doc-

Fixed.  Now, when selecting a tabfile (or 'None') in the properties dialog it will force a redraw of the current form.
Also, when the 'Save' button is clicked in the TabControl Editor it will force a redraw of the current form regardless of whether that particulat tab control file is being used or not. 

Change will be in next update.

LarryMc
LarryMc

Doc

That's awesome... thanks Larry!

-Doc-

LarryMc

LarryMc