April 19, 2024, 04:15:39 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Updating...

Started by Brian, July 09, 2011, 09:51:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Hello,

Just tried an update (to 2.090), and IWB now thinks it's on a 15-day trial. Wouldn't
accept my Unlock Code and/or User Name. Had to go back to version 2.0624, and
copy my saved setup files into Shared Documents to get it to work again

Is this problem going to be fixed. That's two updates now that have failed
to work properly, and I don't want to be left behind

Brian

billhsln

I got the same thing.  Upgraded to 2.09 and now it thinks I have 15 days.  I even went and entered the registration info and it still says unregistered.

Bill
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

billhsln

Update:  Used my Unlock code and put in my Name in the second box and both my XP machine and my Win 7 Pro machines accepted the updates (after I closed down and reopened, after giving the code).

Bill

Brian

Well, I just tried all that Bill has just done, and it didn't work for me

I'm on XP SP3, if that has any bearing. Gone back to my old version

Brian

LarryMc

LarryS is suppose to be coming up with a new scheme. I just don't know how close he is to it.

Sorry for the hassle.

LarryMc
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

I have about had it with protection krap.
They are all expensive and most have issues.
We have a very small user base and it really is not worth the effort.

My thoughts are:
1. Remove it completly - then free downloads appear all over the web
                                  This is not fair for the time and effort that goes into IWB.
2. Build my own - I really do not have the time.
                        Guess I could make the time somehow.
3. Work with what we currently have and try to get the kinks out.
    This is the easiest but I really do get lots of complaints and since we have less than a dozen
    active IWB users it appears excessive so I guess it is not a good product.

As good as IWB is and it is much better since Sapero cleaned up lots of old code, we only have a handful of
users. I know lots of that is because of sins in the past - the kind of stuff that does not happen anymore but the
damage is done. We had a couple of users that went away because of issues with me.
I am an old grouch - wife tells me that daily. O well - not changing :)

Just remember - I work full time - IWB is a labor of love for me - Larry Mc and Sapero are the real force behind
stuff - I just pay the bills for the most part.

Anyway - just my thoughts.

Larry

Your thoughts????

Brian

Larry,

I certainly do not want to give up using IWB, and I reckon more than the 12
owners you state there are don't want to, either

If you have so few actual paid-for users, how about putting the 15-day trial on the
IW site, with protection, but provide a link for those who have paid to download
a version without protection

And you're not the only one with a full-time job!

Keep up the good work - it wasn't so much of a hassle, anyway

Regards,

Brian

jerryclement

8)
Larry,

Take the protection off and I'll buy a copy.  I just don't want the hassle, and I'm retired.  I would like to also buy IWB+!
Brian's idea of a link sounds great!!

JerryC    :)

Jerry - Newbie from TN

Doc

For what it's worth and not exactly related to "updating", I purchased IWB 2.0 over the weekend and installation or registration was not a problem of any kind. The trial version worked just fine and as soon as I got the code from Larry this morning, it was a done deal.

-Doc-

obelisk

I agree with Brian. Keep the trial with protection, but give a link to an unprotected version to people who purchase it.

Barney

Quote from: Brian Pugh on July 11, 2011, 08:43:13 AMIf you have so few actual paid-for users, how about putting the 15-day trial on the
IW site, with protection, but provide a link for those who have paid to download
a version without protection
I'll even buy another copy if this idea is accepted!

Barney

billhsln

I like the idea of the link with a password, just would need a link for version 2.x, then another for 3.x, etc...

That way, say you purchased version 2.x, but see no need for 3.x and have a hardware failure, you can still get the last version you paid for.

Just my 2 cents.

Bill

DennisL

Here's a (relatively) easy (and relatively cheap) solution that is not really Software Protection as such, but more Software Tracking...
Get yourself an application signing certificate from one of the major players out there (cheapest I've heard about is approx $60 USD/yr).
Then sign each copy of the installer with the purchaser's or registered user's name as part of the Comments or miscellaneous section.

Because of the limited user base and the possibility to semi-automate this process with a batch script; if non-paid for versions do end up being distributed and show up on multiple websites, etc, then you will at least know where these originally came from.

Also not sure if expired signed apps are not able to be installed, if this is the case, then you can distribute new (re-signed) versions to whomever previously bought your product on a yearly basis.

pistol350

Like many of us I don't like the latest protection system.   :-\

The former protection system (with Username and Password) was not very secured,
but at least it created a lot of interest for IwBasic because things were simple.

I have a copy of the latest Iwbasic 2.x on ma machine at home. (which I almost don't use because of my lack of time)  :(
But at work i'm still using my "portable" copy of "IwBasic 1.8" that I installed on my USB drive.

The restrictive side of the protection system really gives me less interest for IwBasic.
Just my two cents
Regards,

Peter B.

AdrianFox

July 13, 2011, 06:31:53 AM #14 Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 06:35:49 AM by AdrianFox
Just my thoughts:
1.  Most things on the web nowadays end up being pirated unless they have extremely rigid 'protection' systems, and often even these don't work.
2.  For things like music, despite the piracy, there are enough honest people out there to still make a good profit for the creator.
3.  A copy protection system that would show who has 'passed on' their copy illegitimately would be a powerful 'weapon' even if they are only socially ostracised on programming sites.
4.  Given the very limited number of legitimate users so far, does it really make any difference, in financial terms?   Doing something 'for the principle'  (and I agree nobody has the right to rip off the enormous hard work of others) unfortunately isn't often a practical way of acting.
5.  I am now buying IWB but only because of the other Larry's IWB+.  If IWB was the only choice, given all the bad vibes about the protection system, as a casual hobby programmer, I wouldn't think it was worth changing from the old EB.
6.  Everybody in the IWB community should play an active role in trying to identify and pursue those pirating the software.
7.  Even with a degree of pirating, the software gets 'out there' and better known, and there are enough honest people who might come and buy a copy.  I know that's the shareware principle which doesn't really work, but I've always felt guilty about using an unregistered copy of anything, and usually end up paying for it.
Adrian Fox

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

I will be doing a re-compile today without copy protection for IWB and Aurora.
I will place these in a special location and send a link to the people I have as registered.

I will leave the copy protected version as is and in the future send the link to the unportected download.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Larry

GWS

Oh good ! .. maybe I can get IWB working again ..  ;D

I couldn't bring mine back to life since my last machine rebuild - and I couldn't face struggling with it.

best wishes, :)

Graham
Tomorrow may be too late ..

Logman

Larry:

Because the IWB crew is so accomodating is the reason I stay with the product. I agree too that Larry M. and Sapero have done an excellent job refining IWB. I use it to write all my commercial software for my clients. I'd hate to see it go away because of an inoperable copy protection scheme.

Logman
Education is what you get when you read the fine print.<br />Experience is what you get when you don't!

Pip1957

Larry

Did you re-compile without protection and send links out, if so I did not receive mine ?

newuser

Will future buyer receive full version without protection system? ???

LarryMc

I believe that is Larry's current plan until he comes up with a better scheme.

LarryMc
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

newuser

July 14, 2011, 10:22:42 AM #21 Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 10:25:01 AM by newuser
I''ll wait for a confirmation on this and also visual designer 1.x too before I consider.... ???