March 19, 2024, 02:08:00 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Online Database Storage

Started by Bruce Peaslee, April 27, 2011, 12:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Peaslee

I have a nice project, Hoodmap, that uses a Microsoft Access database. There now seems to be some interest amongst my neighbors to have a copy. I could easily ship the Access file along with the project, but then updating the data becomes a concern. The company that hosts my website, 1and1.com, allows for databases, but due to "security concerns", direct access from a PC is not permitted.

Does anyone know where I could have my database hosted? Or does anyone have a better solution to my problem?

Thanks.
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."
iTired (There's a nap for that.)
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles

billhsln

You could allow for a file with SQL commands to be read into the program and used to update the database.  I do something like this with a Pokemon Catalog program I created for my Grandson.  I have a button which when you click it, it reads a file call SQL.TXT, in that file I have sql commands (including INSERTs and UPDATEs).

Then all you need to do is E-Mail your Neighbors with the SQL.TXT file for updates.

Bill
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Bruce Peaslee

Quote from: billhsln on April 27, 2011, 01:18:38 PM
You could allow for a file with SQL commands to be read into the program and used to update the database.  I do something like this with a Pokemon Catalog program I created for my Grandson.  I have a button which when you click it, it reads a file call SQL.TXT, in that file I have sql commands (including INSERTs and UPDATEs).

Then all you need to do is E-Mail your Neighbors with the SQL.TXT file for updates.

Bill

That, and a lot of similar tactics, would work; but I'm looking for a method that does not require any user action.
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

You could write a php script that would update the database when they connect to a specific
web page.

You would build a php page that has an update button that would download the database update
and initiate a local database update.

It would take a little work but it can be done.

I do something similar at work. Mine is all inside a firewall so you could have issues I do not.

1and1 will let you build a sql db that could be your truth. Then you could write code
to attach and update a local db.

All of these would require the user to visit a specific page - so it would be just as easy
to post updates on a web page and have them download it.

Not sure any of this really helps.

Larry

Copex

upload the database to your web server along with a text file with the version info, then get your program to read the version info and download the program if required
-
I really should learn how to use a spell checker! though im not sure how it will help someone who can not spell?
-
Except where otherwise noted, content Posted By Copex is
licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

Bruce Peaslee

Quote from: Copex on May 02, 2011, 12:31:18 AM

upload the database to your web server along with a text file with the version info, then get your program to read the version info and download the program if required

I'm going to try something along these lines since Larry let me know 1and1.com can host.
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."