April 24, 2024, 08:03:55 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Multi Use License

Started by billhsln, March 21, 2011, 10:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billhsln

Just need to know where the purchase link is for the Multi Use License.  I have 3 computers I switch between.  I only use 1 at a time, but would like to have IWB on all 3.

Thanks,
Bill
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

talun

Me too, I sent a couple of messages to Larry to ask for additional licenses but have not yet received a reply.

Sergio

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

For personal use - just PM me the reg key.
If you need multiple copies for Commercial use PM me and we will make a deal :)

I think I am caught up with sending unlock codes - if you have not gotten yours let me know.

Larry

mrainey

If we plan to use IWBasic to create commercial products, we'll need a separate license for each computer it's installed on?
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

billhsln

Let's see, I created a '100 Play Poker' Game, it was available for download here.  I created a program for my Grandson to keep track of his Pokemon cards, that would be illegal for me to even try to sell what I came up with.  I created a few quick utilities for one of my Car Club's website to make it easier for me to load pictures to the website.  I have been working on a program to keep track of the membership of my other car club and generate the reports out of the data base to report to national and other club needs.  I have created lots of programs to take data from one format to another, so I can process the data.  I have never written anything that I would sell.  So I would think that I am basically a Personal Use user.

Bill
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Steven Picard

I think the Multi-user license has to do with the amount of people who will be developing with IWBasic.  Not the amount of people who use your creations. So everybody should be fine.

mrainey

QuoteSo everybody should be fine.

What I'm asking is whether or not a single developer who uses IWBasic to create commercial programs, and who has IWBasic installed on multiple computers, has to buy more than one IWBasic license.

Barney

The way I see it, that is why we now have "floating license" i.e. you pay for only one license but you can use the program on all of your computers as long as it is only you using it. You just have to send LarryS the codes which will be shown after the installation of IWB 2.0 on those computers and he will return the proper activation code.

It would be easier to have single unlock code, specially the one that is not connected to the machine's hardware but this situation is definitely much better than the first protection version.

And why I still think a hardware fingerprint method is bad? Let's say that LarryS is sick or otherwise incapacitated to send us the necessary authentication codes and I just happened to change the computer innards. IWB 2.0 will tell me I am not a legitimate user and I won't be able to do any work. It really does not matter if I use it for business or for pleasure. The bottom line is, I won't be able to use it, even though I am a legitimate user.

That is why I hope LarryS will reconsider and at some point in time introduce a non-hardware-fingerprint protection mode. I am even prepared to pay extra for it.

Barney

mrainey

At the request of the customer, one of my applications is protected with a reg code keyed to the hardware.  I have to support all of his customers.  It's a pain in the butt at both ends, and could leave a customer up the creek for just the reason you describe.

barry

I have 7 computers at home.  2 desktops, 2 laptops and 3 netbooks.   I have whatever languages I happen to be using installed on all of them.  I never know which one I might be sitting at when the urge to code strikes me.  I keep copies of what I'm working on on my lan so it really doesn't matter which computer I use.

I'd never consider buying a package that made that even a little bit difficult.  I want to simply install it and use it.  I don't want to worry about which code for which computer or anythng like that.

While I do understand the need for minimal protection to give the publisher a bit of peace of mind the fact is that the customers of a development package are savvy enough to cheat all they want and protection has no practical value whatsoever.  It keeps it out of the hand of the teenagers who like to collect everything they can download.  That's about it.  And even that is only very temporary.  You can be sure of one thing: if you're program is any good at all it'll be cracked and available on the internet for free very soon.

I have provisions for storing license keys but as soon as they become problematic I find another package.  I'm perfectly willing to download a pirated program to see if it'll meet my needs, assuming no trial is available.  If it's something I want to use I buy it.  That's because I made my living most of my life as a software developer and I understand the importance of getting paid for work we do.  That's true of almost all programmers.

You aren't at very serious risk.  The vast majority of people who would steal your program will never buy it even if they can't steal it because they don't have the slightest idea what to do with it.  They steal for bragging rights.

If you're really all that paranoid I suggest treatment. :)

Barry

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

No - nothing to do with what you produce with IWBasic.
It just means that if a company wanted to load it on a bunch of computers there would
be a cost.
Even then the cost would be small $9.95 each for additional computers.
It would just be nice to make a bit off large deployments.

Larry