April 29, 2024, 12:16:42 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

2.0 Issues

Started by Rock Ridge Farm (Larry), March 12, 2011, 06:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guilect

I am not able to get debugprint to work.

compile as debug console:
OPENCONSOLE
int x
for x = 0 to 10
DEBUGPRINT str$(x)
next x
CLOSECONSOLE

Pip1957

There is an error in the windows.inc include file at line 2397

This: DECLARE IMPORT, _GetLogicalDriveStrings ALIAS GetLogicalDriveStringsA(nBufferLength AS INT,lpBuffer AS STRING),INT
                                                                                                                                                                           ^

Should be: DECLARE IMPORT, _GetLogicalDriveStrings ALIAS GetLogicalDriveStringsA(nBufferLength AS INT,lpBuffer AS POINTER),INT
                                                                                                                                                                                    ^

Logman

March 17, 2011, 05:26:31 AM #77 Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 05:40:47 AM by Logman
Quote from: Rock Ridge Farm (Larry) on March 15, 2011, 08:02:15 AM
Changed the Lic. to floating - that means you can install on multiple computers.
I re-loaded on my computer with no issues (Win 7).
So the next time you download you should be able to install on a second computer.
I am not sure how this will work so whoever does the first will be the test case.
Let me know what happens - you may need to send me the reg num - not sure.
I am still testing.

Larry

Down-loaded new "floating license" version and installed it on my laptop. I input previous user name and unlock code you provided me from my original purchase and it didn't work. I still get "Incorrect User Name or Unlock Code Entered" error.

What do I do now?

Logman
Education is what you get when you read the fine print.<br />Experience is what you get when you don't!

sapero

March 17, 2011, 06:49:58 AM #78 Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 06:54:32 AM by sapero
Guilect, it works for me:
QuoteStarting debug session...
[dlls deleted]
The thread 0xFF4 exited with code: 0
The program '[path deleted]debugprint.exe' exited with code: 0

By the way - you don't need a console to use DEBUGPRINT. You don't need CLOSECONSOLE at the end of your program. You don't need OPENCONSOLE when creating a console program :)

Guilect

March 17, 2011, 07:24:45 AM #79 Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 08:00:30 AM by Guilect
Hi sapero,

just downloaded the latest build, installed over the existing, and tried again.
Still it does not work for me.
In fact, I just noticed that I do not get the dll loading info either in the debug tab.
I am using the trial version if that helps/matters.

The code works fine in EB v1.737

Maybe it is just me.  Anyone else see this issue?

[EDIT]  just some more info... After compiling and running the debug build, the debug tab does not get switched to, the view remains on the build tab.  If I manually switch to the debug tab, it is totally blank.

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

Re-compiled and uploaded latest version.

Larry

sapero

March 17, 2011, 09:37:05 AM #81 Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 10:30:41 AM by sapero
Larry, you are too fast!

Recent fixes:
1. Debugged program is now running in its own directory (working directory) instead /bin
2. Larry uploaded (the fix above)
3. Fixed a bug in disphelper module: when assigning a property to IDispatch variable, the variable initially/on failure was not set to NULL. It could cause a crash when the variable was defined locally, and the property failed:

sub xx
IDispatch word = CreateComObject("Word.Application")
IDispatch doc = word.Documents.Open("invalid path") ' doc IS now initially set to NULL

Guilect

Just tried latest build.
Same issue for me.
I do get a 'DOS' window via cmd.exe that pops ups when running from the IDE that says "press anykey to continue..."

sapero

I have no idea where is the problem. What should your program do, but does not?
"does not work" tells me nothing. I understand it as "something is not working, but I don't tell you more" ;D

Guilect

I was referring to the the same program a few posts above that should display 0 through 10 in the debug tab.
The DOS window that pops up is not from my program but something that the IDE or parser or debugger calls.
I expect the same behavior from v2.0 as i get from previous versions.
That is when compiling and running a debug mode program from the IDE, to see  the IDE automatically switch to the debug tab and see dll loading messages and ultimately the output from the debugprint commands in a programs sourcecode.  But no automatic switching to the debug tab happens.  And there is no text at all in the debug tab once it is manually selected and viewed.

sapero

March 17, 2011, 11:39:23 AM #85 Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 11:45:38 AM by sapero
I hope I understand the problem now.
To start a debug session, you need to click the associated menu item or toolbar button called "Debug Start", or just press F9 key.

Compile and execute should do what it says: compile and execute. Previously this command did something else than it should do - it compiled, but then executed or started debugging. Additionally, if your program was compiled in debug mode, it was not possible to execute it without switching windows to a file manager.

Tell me if you really want to have it back - Clicking command A will execute command B ?

LarryMc

@Guilect
the 'trial' version and the 'registered' version is one and the same.

I downloaded the version currently available just like you did.
I compiled your program and ran it.
The console window opened up as you described and there was no auto switch to the debug tab.
Manually switched to debug tab and there were no entries.
So, I duplicated your problem.

However, I recompiled and ran several times and here is what is happening.
If I click compile(in console debug)the program compiles and automatically runs. I get the console window,as you described, even though I shouldn't based upon your code.There is no automatic switch to the debug tab but manually switching to the debug tab the info is there as expected(after that initial time it has never been blank).

If I put the tab back in build and click the run button I get exactly what I expected.
No window opens(because your program opened and closed it too fast to see).
The IDE automatically switched to the debug tab and the expected information is there.

I repeat that process over and over with the same results.  

I 'compiled and ran' the program in EBasic and it locked EB up. That was because it closed the window(app) while still in debug).  I couldn't get it out of debug without shuting the IDE down. And there was never any info in the debug tab on multiple tries.

Anyway, that's what I've observed.

My opinion is the compile button should compile; the run button should run.
In my visual designer I have added a 3rd button which is a 'compile and run' option.

LarryMc
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Logman

Quote from: Rock Ridge Farm (Larry) on March 17, 2011, 08:39:46 AM
Re-compiled and uploaded latest version.

Larry

Nope, same error reported. New "floating license" version does not accept my original unlock code or user name. Machine register number remains the same.

Logman  :(
Education is what you get when you read the fine print.<br />Experience is what you get when you don't!

Bruce Peaslee

My problem just gets more weird!

I opened the directory where the project is located so I could watch it. Compiling once creates the exe file which appears to operate as expected. I can click on the exe file and it works. Compiling a second time fails to link, and when I click on the exe file it won't run and gives an error: "Windows cannot access the specified ... file."

Closeing the IDE causes the exe to vanish!
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."
iTired (There's a nap for that.)
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles

Guilect

@ Larry,

thanks for looking in to this.  I was most thrown by the fact that the behavior is different from EB (I never had any issue with running that program in EB IDE, no lock up, I mean why would it, it is a very simple striaght forward piece of code).
I also thought that pressing the "compile and execute" button would behave the same as pressing the "compile" and then the "execute" buttons.
But now that I know what to do I can live with that.
Cheers.

Logman

Larry:

Thanks for all the "unlock codes." They all worked on the "floating license"/"updated version" and I'm up and running on each system.

It's great to be back in business.

Thanks,

Logman :)

billhsln

Very minor problem in lexer.  It seems that INT is not considered a definition like STRING is.  Should show up in 'definition color' for me, but shows up in 'keyword color'.

Thanks,
Bill
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Bruce Peaslee

I am attaching my program for folks to test in their environments.

Thanks in advance.
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."

LarryMc

Quote from: peaslee on March 19, 2011, 10:39:21 AM
I am attaching my program for folks to test in their environments.
Bruce
compiled and ran it a dozen times (1/2 closed with exit and 1/2 closed with x)
no problems whatsoever
it did exactly what I would expect it to do.

LarryMc
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Brian

Bruce,

Same here. Ran about half a dozen times, using the close button and file>exit,
then re-compiling
Had to add a RETURN 0 at the end of the subMain, that's all
No Compiler Options set
Windows XP SP3

Brian

ckoehn

Bruce,

Same here as Brian.  Added RETURN 0 at the end of sub Main.  Ran fine on my Win7 x64.

Clint

Bruce Peaslee

The change doesn't help here.

Are you running it as a project? That's where I have my problem. It works fine as an individual file.

Thanks for testing.

Bruce
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."

Brian

Bruce,

Just tried it as a Project - no problems

Brian

LarryMc

Quote from: Brian Pugh on March 19, 2011, 05:07:26 PM
Bruce,

Just tried it as a Project - no problems

Brian

Same for me.  XP SP3

LarryMc
LarryMc

ckoehn

Ah yes.....

I installed  project call "skeleton2".  Loaded the file into the project.  Hit compile/run button.  Ran fine.  Hit it again and received the error below.

You have to exit out of the IDE,  start the IDE up again and then you can compile/run it one more time.  Then the below error shows up and you cannot compile it again.

Running Win7 x64.

Compiling...
skeleton2.iwb

Linking...
IWBasicLinker v1.12 Copyright ÂÃ,© 2009,2010 Ionic Wind Software
Generating skeleton2.exe
Error: Unable to open output file skeleton2.exe
Error(s) in linking skeleton2.exe

Later,
Clint