April 25, 2024, 11:27:02 PM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

2.0 Issues

Started by Rock Ridge Farm (Larry), March 12, 2011, 06:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Well,
I suppose I'm lucky that I have only one PC!
After having 10 days left to 0 days left in a two-hour spell, I've managed to uninstall,
clear out any hidden(?) files, and reinstalled it with no problems, then the 15 days came back.
Steadily, I'm managing to recompile all my own programs to IWB2, with only a few changes.
Although I can't compile with the Strict option on, which I consider would be the acid
test for all my programs - if they pass that test, they must be OK

I purchased the program on Saturday night, and still haven't had an unlock code yet,
although I think LarryS, etc, are going through enough at the moment to bother with me

One of my programs compiled to 14kb less than EBA - now that's good going!

Just need Sapero's Includes updating, and we're good to go...

Keep up the good work, boys!

Brian

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

Changed the Lic. to floating - that means you can install on multiple computers.
I re-loaded on my computer with no issues (Win 7).
So the next time you download you should be able to install on a second computer.
I am not sure how this will work so whoever does the first will be the test case.
Let me know what happens - you may need to send me the reg num - not sure.
I am still testing.

Larry

Pip1957

Installed over my Win7 copy and all went well, after installing on XP partition regnum is different so got the username or key is wrong, the regnum on XP ie 1637-9224-B2
This is with the latest download

Egil

Larry,

I Just now read your last post describing the changes you have done to the registration system. So I downloaded IWB 2.0 again, and the registration number was: D424-300F-B2, which I discoverred was the same as stated in the unlock code mail when I opened it to copy the unlock code. But, as with the very first install, the supplied code did not work.

Without deleting anything I installed again. Then I got registration number 5391-14EF-B2. That number appears to be the same as appeared yesterday, and the unlock code still doesn't work. But this time I shall not uninstall or delete anything.

Regards,
Egil
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

Sent you the one just generated - it appears to be the same as the last one.

Keep me posted.

Larry

Bruce Peaslee

I loaded an very simple skeleton file to test and it compiles and runs fine. However, if I immediately recompile, the linkage fails with "Unable to open output file ..." "Error(s) in linking ...".

I can't see anything with Task Manager".
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."
iTired (There's a nap for that.)
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles

LarryMc

Quote from: peaslee on March 15, 2011, 04:46:42 PM

I loaded an very simple skeleton file to test and it compiles and runs fine. However, if I immediately recompile, the linkage fails with "Unable to open output file ..." "Error(s) in linking ...".

When you looked in Task Manager did you look in the processes tab?

I've had it close the application from that TM window but the process is still running.

LarryMc
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Logman

March 16, 2011, 05:37:52 AM #57 Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 05:57:34 AM by Logman
Larry Mc:

I was reviewing the Alphabetical Command Reference and found only one additional discrepancy in the reference section.

On page 302, paragraph 6.94--the definition of DOUBLE appears to be different from other definitions such as INT, FLOAT, etc. Current definition in this paragraph depicts how to convert a floating point to an integer, not a double.

I'll continue reviewing the user's guide section by section as I use version 2.0 to finish writing a software program I'm working on for the govenment.

Logman
Education is what you get when you read the fine print.<br />Experience is what you get when you don't!

Logman

March 16, 2011, 05:53:50 AM #58 Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 06:00:07 AM by Logman
Quote from: Rock Ridge Farm (Larry) on March 15, 2011, 08:02:15 AM
Changed the Lic. to floating - that means you can install on multiple computers.
I re-loaded on my computer with no issues (Win 7).
So the next time you download you should be able to install on a second computer.
I am not sure how this will work so whoever does the first will be the test case.
Let me know what happens - you may need to send me the reg num - not sure.
I am still testing.

Larry

Larry, what if we already purchased a copy of IWBasic Version 2.0 and installed it on our desktop with an "unlock key" you provided for the original purchase. How do we go about using that same download/unlock key combination on a laptop?

Do we have to purchase the "newer floating" licensed version to be able to use on both desktop and laptop? I'm guessing we can't. What do I need to do now to be able to install my original purchase on my laptop and desktop?

Logman
Education is what you get when you read the fine print.<br />Experience is what you get when you don't!

talun

March 16, 2011, 06:20:50 AM #59 Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 06:22:58 AM by talun
QuoteLarry, what if we already purchased a copy of IWBasic Version 2.0 and installed it on our desktop with an "unlock key" you provided for the original purchase. How do we go about using that same download/unlock key combination on a laptop?

Do we have to purchase the "newer floating" licensed version to be able to use on both desktop and laptop? I'm guessing we can't. What do I need to do now to be able to install my original purchase on my laptop and desktop?

The same for me too... ???

Sergio

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

The plan is to not charge for additional computers as long as they are for personal use.
The floating Lic. is supposed to allow this but it may require an unlock code for each box.
I have not figured it all out yet.

Waanna test it?

Larry

Egil

Quote from: Rock Ridge Farm (Larry) on March 15, 2011, 12:12:47 PM
Sent you the one just generated - it appears to be the same as the last one.

Keep me posted.

Larry

This is the second time you claim to have sent me a new unlock key. But nothing ever showed up here.  ???

Barney

LarryS, you have a PM.

Barney

Egil

BINGO!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Larry!

Logman

March 16, 2011, 09:02:52 AM #64 Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 09:05:54 AM by Logman
Quote from: Rock Ridge Farm (Larry) on March 16, 2011, 06:24:14 AM
The plan is to not charge for additional computers as long as they are for personal use.
The floating Lic. is supposed to allow this but it may require an unlock code for each box.
I have not figured it all out yet.

Waanna test it?

Larry

I'll test it.

I downloaded the original IWBasic Version 2 software, received your "unlock code" and entered it. IWBasic is working perfectly on my desktop. However, I loaded the same software on my laptop because I had to go on the road for a couple days. I have 8 days left on this install and would like to unlock it permanently if possible. I have the codes provided by the laptop, which I can send to you.

Although I would gladly pay the small fee you requested for additional licenses, I'll take a floating license any day. I do need to get the additional installs running on a permanent basis, soon before my 15-day trial period runs out on the original version I downloaded.

Thanks,

Paul

Logman

Larry-Sapero:

So that members don't get the impression everything is going south just because of some hiccups in unlock codes, Sapero did an excellent job putting together version 2.0 of this language offering. And Larry Mc did a superb job writing/transposing the user manual. Although the manual has some grammatical and subject matter omissions/errors; as would be expected on any new publication, it is a comprehensive, world-class guide. He really did a bang-up job on it.

The fact that Larry S offers the manual in both .chm (help) and PDF format is a real bonus. You won't get this in any other languages offered on the web.

My thanks goes out to all three of you for migrating this effort into a solid and easily comprehensible programming language. I'm already putting the software to work on a government project and my customers really like what they see--and are amazed at how fast I can put requirements together using IWBasic. My C++/C# counterparts are still struggling with coding/testing while I just pound out working solutions.

Thanks,

Logman

Barney

People who are having problems with UAC dimming the screen and asking the ubiquitous questions can easily circumvent the dimming but still have the question displayed.

Just go to "Control Panel" then select "User Accounts" and finally "Change User Account Control settings"

Move the slider to the 2nd position, bottom being the 1st one. The important part of the bold message in the box is "(do not dim my desktop). This will keep the UAC on so it will still work as expected except for the dimming screen part. You will still have to press Yes in order for IBW 2.0 to start.

If you don't want to bother with UAC control move the slider to the lowest position but be careful when installing & testing unknown programs because you will not be warned about them trying to do something they should not be doing.

2nd position works great for me because I can finally start IWB 2.0 without Windows turning off aero mode due to my "Total Media" application.

However I'd like to see this behavior changed so that I don't have to change anything. It was working before so it should work the same now.

While I am at it here's another problematic (actually very irritating) part of the story. I simply can't start working by clicking on the .iwb file. Yes, clicking on it does start the IWB 2.0 but once it is up, the IDE screen is empty. Clicking on the .iwb file again activates UAC (if active) just like it is starting IWB again but that does not happen. However, the screen is still empty. Since clicking on source files in order to start IDE is how I've been working since the beginning of my life with computers (a long time ago) and since IWBasic is especially good for so called "quick & dirty" programming I don't think I'll be using it for anything until this is resolved. Don't know how the rest of you think about it but for me not being able to start the IDE with a simple double-click on the source or project file is a big no-no. Almost a show stopper.

Otherwise I think LarryS, LarryMc and Sapero did a fantastic job and I am sure they'll fix all the problems as quickly as possible.

Barney

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

A new version is available for download.
Has Sapero's latest fixes.

Larry

Egil

March 16, 2011, 12:39:25 PM #68 Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 12:44:00 PM by Egil
I haven't been able to use the package till today, as it would just not start in trial mode. But at least I am able to compile the example files now.

I think the reason why we are not able to just click a source file to get the IDE started and source loaded, is that the installer doesn't write correctly to the Registry file.
As you all know, I have tried to install the package several times before, and CCleaner reported several file association errors. The same happened today, in spite that the program is now up and running (...and  "unlocked").
I don't know much about editing the registry file, and don't want to tamper with it myself. But since most other software that dont load the file when you at first click the filename, accept that you rightclick on the file and choose "open with" and "Use this program always for these files", and the problem is fixed permanently,  I can't understand why we can't do this with IWB. And since the same thing happened with IWB 1.8, I think there must be a setting in the installer packing software that must be checked.

And even I've been angry and let out a lot of steam when things wouldn't work, I have great respect, and am greatful, for all the great work that has been put into the package. I gave away my netbook this winter, but if a "sale" comes around I think I'll buy a new one, just to have the Usermanual e-book running there all the time...

Regards,
Egil

LarryMc

Egil
Did you happen to try the Tools/Register File Extensions menu option to associate the appropriate files to use IWBasic?

LarryMc
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Egil

That was the first thing I tried. Doesn't fix the problem. This only happens with the two IWB versions. That's why I mentioned the errors reported in the registry file.

Egil

LarryMc

Egil

1st. can you tell me what the specific registry error messages are that you are getting.

2nd. I just double checked the setup file ; there are no automatic file extension registering instructions in there.

For what it is worth, I begged my wife and promised her the world to let me borrow her win7 laptop for a while to se if it messes up for me.

Until one of us can dplicate the problem a few of you are seeing it is hard for us to fix it.  We just sort of stab at things in the dark; but we are trying.

LarryMc
LarryMc

Bruce Peaslee

Quote from: LarryMc on March 15, 2011, 05:15:17 PM
Quote from: peaslee on March 15, 2011, 04:46:42 PM

When you looked in Task Manager did you look in the processes tab?

I've had it close the application from that TM window but the process is still running.

LarryMc

Yes, I examined the processes tab. I've experimented and here's what I've found. In single (non-project), no problem. In project mode, the second compile always fail. It does not fail if I close and relaunch IWB2, until I try the second compile.
Bruce Peaslee
"Born too loose."
iTired (There's a nap for that.)
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles

Egil

Quote from: LarryMc on March 16, 2011, 02:15:23 PM
Egil

1st. can you tell me what the specific registry error messages are that you are getting.

2nd. I just double checked the setup file ; there are no automatic file extension registering instructions in there.

For what it is worth, I begged my wife and promised her the world to let me borrow her win7 laptop for a while to se if it messes up for me.

Until one of us can dplicate the problem a few of you are seeing it is hard for us to fix it.  We just sort of stab at things in the dark; but we are trying.

LarryMc
Just now i first checked my pc registry file using CCleaner. No reported errors.
Then I reinstalled IWB 2.0 and got the errors you see in attached picture.
A couple of days ago I did the same with IWB 1.8., and got an identical report.

And for reference I just reinstalled EB 1.8. No errors, and I am able to click a file to open the IDE with file loaded.

I hope this can help reveal the problems.

Egil

talun

Excuse me, but I still could not understand if the current license is only referred to a single computer or allow me to install the compiler on different PCs. ???

Sergio