April 25, 2024, 10:51:53 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

2.0 Issues

Started by Rock Ridge Farm (Larry), March 12, 2011, 06:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egil

March 14, 2011, 10:15:17 AM #25 Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 10:43:32 AM by Egil
All that happens here when I try to register the newest download is what you see in the attached picture. With the first versions could register after I deleted a folder that I beleive held the "unlock" information.
But if such a folder still exists, it is now hidden to me and registration is impossible, since I am not able to delete it.

So far this purchase has been nothing but a waste of time and money.

Egil

EDIT: Almost forgot the picture...
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

The registration is different than the original one you registered.
It appears that this is a different computer.

I will update based on the registration in the screen shot and send you another unlock code.

Larry

Pip1957

I have a dual boot system with 7 and XP I registered IWbasic on 7, will I need another license for my XP patition.

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

I do not know - try it and let me know - I can generate a new key for the other partition.

Larry

Pip1957

Larry the reg No. is different, I will PM you the number, it also states that there are 0 days left on the trial.

ts-soft

Quote from: Rock Ridge Farm (Larry) on March 14, 2011, 10:54:48 AM
I think that is unreasonable for most user. My interest has lain down for the first time.
Sorry for my bad english

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

Can you elaborate on your post - what is unreasonable?

Larry

ts-soft

I use my Software on virtual machines to support more than one windows versions.
If this side is dead and i change my hardware, i can never install the Software!
So many things that make a hardware id to a NoGo for me, but is no problem,
I knew of this limitation before a possible purchase.

And sorry for my bad english.
Sorry for my bad english

Egil

I will update based on the registration in the screen shot and send you another unlock code.

Larry

Well,
I have only ONE computer at present.
the first download worked somehow in Try-mode, but when the program didn't accept the registration details, I unistalled the package. I have now downloaded the package three times. Last time five-six hours ago. But the registration details never was accepted, and the two last times I was not able to reinstall until I had deleted the hidden folder the install put on my system last time i tried to install it. And by the way, the registration number at the bottom of the screenshot has been the same all the time.

I fully accept that the software package is protected, but after reading all the feedback I am starting to beleive that your protection system is the reason for all our trouble.
So my final line is that I have paid for something you haven't been able to supply. That's why I still mean that this, at least for me, has been wasted time and money.

Regards,
Egil

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

Did the new registration not work?

I am trying to work with you on this, you just need to help me help you.

I did notice that it will change the code if you uninstall and re-install - you should not need to do this.
I think this may be what is causing your issue.
I need you to tell me the reg code currently on your screen - do not re-install or remove/re-install this
will just compound the problem.

Let me know if you would rather have a refund.

Larry

Egil

Larry,

You better check your install protection system. When I tried a new install after my last post, I got another registration number(IWB3.png). Then I uninstalled it and tried to install again and got the same number I got earlier today(IWB4.png). Now I have unistalled, and even deleted the hidden folder.
Maybe this is the reason why I never got the darned thing to work properly?

Egil

Egil

Larry,
I didn't see your answer before i had posted my last message, just now. But nothing received on mail yet. I'll check in later
Egil

Barney

Well...

I don't think it is clear from IW web site that the protection scheme uses a hardware fingerprint. If I knew that I would at least put some more questions before shelling out the cash. So, let's do it now, anyway.

What happens with my notebook? Do I need to purchase another copy of IWB 2.0?

What happens when I change my hardware, which I do very frequently due to my primary role as hardware editor for a computer magazine? Will I need to make a purchase every time I change something?

Frankly, if it was clearly stated that a hardware fingerprint protection scheme was used I would not have purchased this version as it is my policy not to buy software protected in such a way. I'd rather accept a dongle than this kind of protection which serves only one purpose - to punish the legitimate owners. Warez groups will break this protection with ease and pirated versions will actually be more useful. Hardly an incentive for people to purchase otherwise excellent software (once the initial problems are sorted out).

And before LarryS asks, no, I don't need a refund as I still like IWBasic but it's a pity I will probably not be using it as much (or at all) as I have planned to.

LarryS, I hope you will reconsider the protection and change it to something much more acceptable to your users, especially those who are not using only one computer and those who are changing the hardware rather quickly.

Barney

Egil

Now I have been out doing my late evening jog. And the mentioned mail, containing new unlock code, has not yet arrived. But that doesn't really matter, as the package has been uninstalled.

I do programming just for fun, and it is a very enjoyable hobby. When I took up this hobby a little more than six years ago, I tried three other Basic Language Packages before I found the Ionic Wind packages. I have enjoyed both EB and CB so much, that I never could decide which one was my favorite, so I have always used them both. Therefore I was looking forward to use the new IWB 2.0. But after strugling to install the new package for a week now, I am not so sure anymore.
We are told to install "over" the install that failed, but on my system that has been impossible. The installer has not even started transferring files until the old install, including the hidden folder, has been removed.

And finally, you are asking me to work with you. But that's impossible as long as I have nothing to work with.
My friendly advice is that you withdraw the present package, and repost it in such a way that we can feel you treat us as loyal customers to the contrary is proved. If not, I am afraid this is the end of the road, at least for me.

Regards,
Egil

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

I left the computer so that I would not respond in the tone you have taken with me.
I have no idea which one to register for you - if you will give me one last reg key I will generate
the unlock code.
Your problem has been caused by actions you have taken yet you keep attacking me for it.
It will work for you if:
  1.  You install it one time - do not remove/re-install it will update without removing previous version.
  2.  Please follow my instructions
       A. Send me the current reg key from your instalation.
       B.  Do not re-install or delete your installation.

It may just be me but your post are very caustic - if you do not feel so then I apologize.

Larry

Logman

Larry:

Paragraph 6.340 on page 458 references "THREAD", but defines ASIN instead. Apparently a "cut and paste" operation gone bad.

I'll continue reading the manual cover to cover and provide any obvious discrepancies that might need your attention.

So far, really great User's Guide--great examples, thanks for your time and effort on the manual.

Logman
Education is what you get when you read the fine print.<br />Experience is what you get when you don't!

LarryMc

Quote from: Logman on March 14, 2011, 07:16:44 PM
Larry:

Paragraph 6.340 on page 458 references "THREAD", but defines ASIN instead. Apparently a "cut and paste" operation gone bad.

I'll continue reading the manual cover to cover and provide any obvious discrepancies that might need your attention.

So far, really great User's Guide--great examples, thanks for your time and effort on the manual.

Logman
Thanks for the spot.  As much time as I spent with the help file there are bound to be some of those errors.

LarryMc
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Egil

Quote from: Rock Ridge Farm (Larry) on March 14, 2011, 05:55:33 PM
I left the computer so that I would not respond in the tone you have taken with me.
I have no idea which one to register for you - if you will give me one last reg key I will generate
the unlock code.

Well,

I responded to a post where you accused me of cheating. And reading the last line, I assumed you already had sent me a new registration, corresponding with the screenshot I posted. I was obviously wrong.

Larry

If you didn't like me answering in the same way, you have a problem. I feel it is my right as a customer to tell you when your product does not measure up.

I will not appologize for the tone in my post, because I regard such an accusation very offensive.
Anyway, if you can give me one good reason to try another install with a program that, in trial mode, didn't even compile the included examples, I am willing to try again. Otherwise not.

Regards,
Egil

GWS

My story is uneventful ..  :)

I downloaded the update, and, as we always did with previous versions, un-installed the old version.

Just to check that one old program still worked, I even installed an old EBasic, and then un-installed that.

The new IWB2 install - same machine running XP - completed with no messages at all. 

It didn't even ask for an unlock code, and all's now working again, except for some of the math and graphics problems already reported.

From what LarryS said though, I expect I couldn't install IWB2 on another machine - that's a change, and prevents me having it on my two machines in different rooms.

I know copy protection is a problem, but I find Microsoft's 'activation' process a real pain, since over the years, my machines change, and I re-build every few months by formatting the C: drive and re-installing everything.

Hope it all works out OK. :)

Graham

Tomorrow may be too late ..

AdrianFox

First, it's a great pity to see people falling out over problems which are very likely with a new version which hasn't been extensively tested before release, as is done with the 'big boys' like Microsoft.... and look at the messes they get into even with all those resources.  I hope everyone can be patient until problems are sorted out,
Second, as I take it, IWBasic isn't a 'commercial product' as nobody is ever going to make much money out of it, and it's much more a labour of love by the two Larries and others.  The price is to at least compensate them a little for all for their effort, but not to expect customer service like you'd demand in the full marketplace...though I think customer service is pretty good here anyway... not many places you get a reply almost instantly.
Third, and this would be my only gripe, I'm afraid I wouldn't part with money if I can only use the new version on a single machine.  Like others, I have computers in different rooms and for different purposes. I like to try things out on different monitors with different resolutions, without having to change the monitors around or alter resolutions.  I don't think it unreasonable to expect to install it on a couple of machines, and you never know when your hard drive is going to go down, and you need to replace or upgrade your computer!  (Can happen to anyone, eh Larry?)
I would have thought the number of people on a forum like this who would 'pirate' a copy to others would be very limited and most of us would never dream of doing that. As someone said, the really determined thieves will probably do it anyway.
I therefore very much hope that the licensing system will return to a software key, and then I will buy my copy (despite my wife's objections!!)
Good luck in resolving these issues, and everybody please SMILE, it's spring, and IWBasic 2 will only have a great future with ALL of you involved!
:) :) :)

Adrian Fox

daveR

March 15, 2011, 05:52:09 AM #45 Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 05:53:43 AM by daveR
Hi Larry

I have the same re-install problem as some of the others. I did uninstall the first version I downloaded before installing a subsequent version and the serial number came up different. Same machine with one partition running 32 bit Vista with UAC off.
I will wait until the releases slow down a bit then e mail a request for a new key for the serial number on the current version.  ;D
Is this normal? If the hardware does not change why does the serial number? Not a complaint just a curious question from some one who knows very little about these sort of things.

Thanks and regards
Dave

ckoehn

I feel for you LarryS.  I really do.

I made a program which had the potential to be shared where it shouldn't.  I locked it to the hard disk ID number and stored it in the registry.  Worked fine.  The only problem was the one being mentioned on this topic.  The original purchaser wanted a copy on a desktop and his laptop.  I had to give two unlock codes.  Then he changed both computers and I had to give them new unlock codes for both.  It got to be a real pain.  I luckily had the option (which you don't) to tie the unlock code to the CD disk ID.  As long as the original CD was used to install the program the code worked.  I still get just a very few installations which for some reason doesn't work (install properly with the CD ID).

I too would like the ability to be able to install on any computer without having to always request a new unlock code, yet I understand your reason for doing what you are doing.

Keep up the good work. :)

Later,
Clint

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

March 15, 2011, 06:44:43 AM #47 Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 06:48:09 AM by Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)
We are actually looking into allowing multiple  installs once purchased.
It may take a few days to get it working.
I for one do not like to use the copy protection and in fact may scrap it.
We had less than a dozen total sales so it is more trouble than it is worth.
I used this one so we could have a try before you buy format.

I would like to apologize to the list for the above negative discussions. I should have
taken care of it by email - I just let things get to me yesterday. Not very professional.

After I am sure all of the issues are taken care of I will delete the negative post I made.

Larry

daveR

A bit surprised about the lack of sales, for me IWB is a top rate product certainly in the same league as some other more expensive compilers. In fact with it's ability to code anything from games to business applications it should be the compiler of choice.

Just my thoughts

Regards
Dave

zaphod

Hello everybody,

I can't imagine a langage that i can not install on all my pc.
I can do that with my delphi professional...
With pure basic = 1 licence for life for windows, mac and nux
Even with power basic...

I am very desapointed.

Sorry for this negative post.