April 19, 2024, 04:12:08 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

2.0 Issues

Started by Rock Ridge Farm (Larry), March 12, 2011, 06:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

Please report all IWB 2.0 Issues here

barry

I downloaded it and installed it and it seemed to go smoothly but when I tried to run it it crashed before I even saw a dialog.  I tried a number of times.  I rebooted to see if that was it.  I uninstalled and re-installed and got the same result.

Since it was late I just uninstalled it and deleted it, planning to re-download it and try again.  But I don't have high expectations of that making a difference.  I haven't done it yet.  I probably will later today.

I'm using Windows 7 Pro with 4 gig ram and an Intel 7300 core 2 duo on a 13.3" Asus laptop.

Barry

barry

I apologize for posting that before I tried it again.  It was late last night and I was tired so I probably messed up.  I was awake when I posted my previous reply so I should have known better. :)

I just downloaded it and installed it and all is well.  It seems to be working just fine.

Barry

Barney

Here's what I have so far:

• When the program is started UAC always stops the execution asking me "Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer?". Answering "Yes" every time just gets cumbersome and one has to switch off the UAC in order to work more effectively. However, I want the UAC to stay active and as I know that all previous versions of IWBasic were working O.K., I would expect the 2.0 version to do the same. There are other reasons for this behavior to be fixed, which are actually more important. For example I have an USB TV stick and most of the time while I am using my computer the TV stick is active with TV program running in the background. IWB 2.0 starts, UAC asks the infamous question and after that WDM says that one of my applications cannot use "aero" mode and switches it off. The "culprit" is apparently "Total Media" application which is used to control the TV stick and show the TV (or other AV) programs on the screen. Once I switch it off and then back on the "aero" mode is also back and everything is working as it should. However, I find it unacceptable to constantly switch the "Total Media" on and off whenever I want to do some programming work. So, this one is a big no, no as far as I am concerned.
  • Another, actually more severe problem, is the fact that I cannot click on .iwb files in order to start working with them. The IWB IDE is launched but the .iwb file is not loaded so there is nothing to work with. In addition, if one instance of IDE is already running system will load another one with all the usual problems regarding UAC. The only way to get to one of the .iwb files is to get them through the file picker from within the IDE. Hardly satisfactory when one is used to much faster "click & forget" way of work. This must be fixed in order to work properly as it used to work with all previous versions.

Just found out that suddenly I can't compile anything. Will check it and come back later.

Barney

zaphod

Hello,

I cant compil this (i can with old versions) without turn on optimisations checked :

OPENCONSOLE
'
SYSTEMTIME st
st.wHour = 0
'st.wMinute = 0
'st.wSecond = 0
'
'st.wDay =val(DATE$("d"))
'
WAITCON
CLOSECONSOLE
END

and i cant compil this (i can with old versions) :

OPENCONSOLE
'
SYSTEMTIME st
st.wHour = 0
'st.wMinute = 0
'st.wSecond = 0
'
st.wDay=val("10")
'st.wDay =val(DATE$("d"))
'
WAITCON
CLOSECONSOLE
END

I have windows error message....

sapero

Barney, the license protection requires some services to be running, and probably to access some other, more or less administrative resources. On my XP box, I've found in my Event-log that NetBios service is running with the IDE. None of the protected registry keys are modified (like autorun, policies, services).
The IDE itself can be running with lowest privileges, but it needs write access to HKCU\software\classes (register file extensions) and read+write to the HKCU\software\ionicwind\iwbasic key (settings, recent files). On Win7 it needs also the right to modify/delete exe/dll files, in order to share this right with the linker. This right/privilege is automatically added if the IDE is installed in "protected location", like program files.

About file associations bug. The IDE uses an old api to query short path to itself. Short paths may be disabled or not supported, so the api will return an unquoted long path. If you install IWBasic to "Program Files" or some other directory with spaces in the name, you may notice this bug (but not all of you). I have added some code to the exceptional case, so it will be working with short and long paths.

The recent crashes - this was an issue related to the selected optimizations level in an Microsoft compiler, used to compile the IDE and the parser. Even the new Microsoft compilers generate bugs when optimizing user code, but a simple change in project options always helps. If you are coding something in Visual Studio, you should notice this bug.

A working update is waiting for upload.

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

re-compiled and posted

Larry

Blue Steel

the latest download fixed my loading and running the 3d samples.

still not loading associated files when clickrd on to open in IWB

also noticed that if you set it to winxp compatable mode it changes the licence number , change it back and reverts to the original licence number but you have to re-unlock it

after installing the latest version and running IWB from the installer (ie: run now on closing installer) fails its stating that it requiress access escilatioon

I know its a pain but can you please change the file name of the D/load to reflect the new version and/or at least the about screen.

also the exe name IWBdev.exe seems to me to representr that its the version for the devs , notr the public.

Can you also try and add in http://codingmonkeys.com as a Fan / community site on the welcome page

It's now almost at the stage where I am prepaired to write a review on it ;)

PS: is the floor in the cubemap demo supposed to tear as you turn / move around, the walls / object and ceiling don't tear , just the floor
  http://www.codingmonkeys.com
Covers many languages including Aurora , IWBasicEbasic (Ebasic, IBasic) , Creative Basic

LarryMc

Quotealso the exe name IWBdev.exe seems to me to representr that its the version for the devs , notr the public.

In IWB the development environment (IDE) is loaded with iwbdev.exe
In EB it was ebdev.exe
In IB it was ibdev.exe
In Aurora it is adev.exe

QuotePS: is the floor in the cubemap demo supposed to tear as you turn / move around, the walls / object and ceiling don't tear , just the floor
Does exactly the same in IWB2.0 and EB1.737 - like you describe.

LarryMc
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

GWS

March 13, 2011, 03:01:04 AM #9 Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 03:28:36 AM by GWS
Hi Larry,

You may have the same graphics card as Cameron ..  :)

I can't see any tearing on my card - an NVidia GeForce 7600 GT - it works smoothly.

The only problem I get, is the 'MS Phone Home' crash dialog when I press ESC to exit the cubemap demo, but I see it does that on earlier versions of IWB as well ..  ::)

all the best, :)

Graham
Tomorrow may be too late ..

zaphod

Hello all,

I have problems to recompile my sources with iwb 2....

This code give 1 with old versions and 0 with new :

OPENCONSOLE
'
uint64 a,b
uint64 c
double d
a=0x1cbe17358213110q
b=0x1cbe0aa2db77110q
c=864000000000q

print a
print b
print c
d=(a-b)/c
print d
'
WAITCON
CLOSECONSOLE
END

Blue Steel

Over the years i've had miltiple graphics cards both ati and nvidia , the latest is the nvidia GTX 465 , nothing else is tearing, in any languages / games , but it is a releaf to see that others have the same problems as well (yes I know it was there in the older releases too) could it be becaise of the image file , type , size etc.. point remains that what can be done to fix it.

As for the name I know all the history of it, I think just think its incorrectly named , to me should be simply called IWBasic or IWBEDitor or IWB or IWBIDE or rather than IWBDEV

http://www.codingmonkeys.com
Covers many languages including Aurora , IWBasicEbasic (Ebasic, IBasic) , Creative Basic

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

New version uploaded today 3/13

Larry

barry

I installed the new version, at least new as of this morning...I'm not sure if it's the one you last uploaded, and it seem to be working okay now but I still get the UAC message when I start it.

My question is will this go away if I buy it and get a registration number?

Also I strongly suggest fixing this.  If I got this from someone I was less sure of I'd have immediately uninstalled it, done a thorough check of my system and never downloaded anything again from that site and suggested to others that they also avoid it.

As it is, even knowing you aren't trying to mess with my computer, I am a bit concerned about it and I don't think I'd want a program that always did this.

Barry

LarryMc

March 13, 2011, 09:58:12 AM #14 Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 10:02:24 AM by LarryMc
Quote from: barry on March 13, 2011, 09:31:25 AM
I installed the new version, at least new as of this morning...I'm not sure if it's the one you last uploaded, and it seem to be working okay now but I still get the UAC message when I start it.

My question is will this go away if I buy it and get a registration number?

Also I strongly suggest fixing this.  If I got this from someone I was less sure of I'd have immediately uninstalled it, done a thorough check of my system and never downloaded anything again from that site and suggested to others that they also avoid it.

As it is, even knowing you aren't trying to mess with my computer, I am a bit concerned about it and I don't think I'd want a program that always did this.

Barry

QuoteMy question is will this go away if I buy it and get a registration number?
As for as I know it will have no impact on the UAC.

It takes time to address issues.  There may be more updates posted that do not have the UAC issue fixed.
We are aware there is an issue with the UAC.  
If you would like, I would be happy to send you an email when we believe that issue is resolved so that you will not have to download any interum updates that resolve other issues (but not that one ) since we aren't currently using revision levels to identify what fixes are included in which new download.

LarryMc
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

aurelCB

Most people which i know and use win7 simply holds UAC -> TurnOFF.
I dont care i use winXP ;D

LarryMc

Quote from: aurelCB on March 13, 2011, 09:58:33 AM
Most people which i know and use win7 simply holds UAC -> TurnOFF.
I dont care i use winXP ;D
I'm the same as you Aurel but Barry has a valid point/issue even though it doesn't bother you and I.

LarryMc
LarryMc

ts-soft

The UAC is the best new feature in vista and windows7, for security.
Disable this is not very clever
Sorry for my bad english

LarryMc

Quote from: zaphod on March 13, 2011, 05:01:44 AM
Hello all,

I have problems to recompile my sources with iwb 2....

This code give 1 with old versions and 0 with new :

OPENCONSOLE
'
uint64 a,b
uint64 c
double d
a=0x1cbe17358213110q
b=0x1cbe0aa2db77110q
c=864000000000q

print a
print b
print c
d=(a-b)/c
print d
'
WAITCON
CLOSECONSOLE
END

@zaphod
verified that
uint64 a,b
a=0x1cbe17358213110q
b=0x1cbe0aa2db77110q
a-b
does not give correct answer in today's version of download

LarryMc
LarryMc

barry

Quote from: LarryMc on March 13, 2011, 09:58:12 AM
It takes time to address issues.  There may be more updates posted that do not have the UAC issue fixed.
We are aware there is an issue with the UAC.  
If you would like, I would be happy to send you an email when we believe that issue is resolved so that you will not have to download any interum updates that resolve other issues (but not that one ) since we aren't currently using revision levels to identify what fixes are included in which new download.

Thanks for offering, but it might be better to announce it in here.  Although you're certainly welcome to notify me.

I don't mind this for a while.  I wouldn't like it permanently.  My trial will time-out in 13 more days anyway.

Barry

Logman

Question:

If we download an update, can we just install over the top of the old one? Or do we need to uninstall the older version first.

Also, will our "unlock codes" still work with a downloaded update?

Logman
Education is what you get when you read the fine print.<br />Experience is what you get when you don't!

LarryMc

Quote from: Logman on March 14, 2011, 05:41:04 AM
Question:

If we download an update, can we just install over the top of the old one? Or do we need to uninstall the older version first.

Also, will our "unlock codes" still work with a downloaded update?

Logman
I get my updates the same way the rest of you do.
I install over the previous version.
My "unlock" stays intact.

LarryMc
LarryMc

Egil

Quote from: LarryMc on March 14, 2011, 05:54:33 AM
I get my updates the same way the rest of you do.
I install over the previous version.
My "unlock" stays intact.

LarryMc

That never worked here.

Egil
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

Are you having issues now - it works for me to just install over the older copy - tested it on Win7 and XP.

Larry

Logman

March 14, 2011, 08:29:44 AM #24 Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 08:31:24 AM by Logman
No issues, I just didn't want to overwrite a perfectly good version with a newer version if it didn't recognize my "unlock code."

I reloaded the newer version on my desktop and it works okay so far.

I'm just waiting on Larry to finalize the site so that we can buy additional licenses once we've made the initial purchase. Right now I am using a TRIAL version on my laptop to ensure it works and will purchase another license as soon as Larry is ready.

Logman
Education is what you get when you read the fine print.<br />Experience is what you get when you don't!