May 01, 2024, 06:11:01 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

IWBasic v2

Started by Brian, January 26, 2011, 03:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ckoehn

I compiled and ran a program that I made in EBasic, a simple text search (has a few other things too) and it takes .37 seconds to run.
Using IWBasic it takes .56 seconds.  Why is it slower?  I was hoping for a speed increase.

Later,
Clint

sapero

March 10, 2011, 02:25:32 PM #26 Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 02:44:23 PM by sapero
Guilect, you can now re-download and reinstall, the setup has been updated.

Clint, time based benchmarks shorter than one (even 5) second are useless, because Windows is multitasking, your program is not running exclusively. When starting a new process, thread, or opening a file, the delay may vary. Opening a file for the first time, or after not using it for some time is always longer.
Even the same program executed multiple times may/will run in varying time, probably up to +-0.5s without accessing external files.

UINT startTime = MILLISECS()
UINT numLoops
while 1
numLoops++
UINT timeNow = MILLISECS() - startTime
if (timeNow>10000 and numLoops>5) then break

' put here the code to measure

endwhile

print numLoops, "loops/", timeNow/1000f, "s. Single loop took ",
float result = float(timeNow)/float(numLoops)
if (result >= 1f)
print result, " seconds"
elseif (result >= .001f)
print result*1000f, " ms"
elseif (result >= .000001f)
print result*1000000f, " us"
elseif (result >= .000000001f)
print result*1000000000f, " ns"
else
print result*1000000000000f, " ps"
endif

ckoehn

Thanks for your answer sapero.  I ran it multiple times and it always came back the same.  On the "Opening screen" of my program it loads the text file into memory. It has around 27795 lines that I "uncode" back to text. Even that takes longer than EBasic.  It is enough time difference to notice it.  Will continue to check.

Later,
Clint

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

New (update) version available.
Just re-download and install.

Larry

Guilect

"... (NASM) which is distributed under the GNU LGPL (Lesser General Public License). The full source code archive to the derived assembler can be found in the redist directory under the main installation directory."

seems to be absent.

talun

I am interested to IWB2, but is possible to know the details about the price for owners of previous versions?

thanks

Sergio

LarryMc

Like the announcement said: Send LarryS an email or pm.

LarryMc
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

talun

Larry thank you for your reply; I've just sended a PM to Larry.

Maybe I've found a bug: if you try to run the simple piece of code below, the compiler hangs.

double x,y

x = 1.2345
y = -x          ' <-- this assignment hangs the compiler
print x,"  ",y

waitcon
end

Cheers

Sergio

LarryMc

Verified.  It hangs for me also in IWB2.0.
Works with EB1.737

Sapero will look into it when he gets on.

LarryMc
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

GWS

March 11, 2011, 07:35:14 AM #34 Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 07:57:33 AM by GWS
Funny, both of these work ..  ::)

y = -1 * x         
y = x - 2.469

It also works OK if they are defined as Float's.

Fussy things these compilers ..  ;D

Graham
Tomorrow may be too late ..

Blue Steel

Doesn't like running in Win7 x86 (32 bit) aero mode , I have to disable visual themes back to basic7 theme , is there any way to fix this
(the editor works but not compiled .exe)

Demo program tried was Cubemap.iwb

not many people are going to like it if this can't be fixed (looking to the future .. not the past)
  http://www.codingmonkeys.com
Covers many languages including Aurora , IWBasicEbasic (Ebasic, IBasic) , Creative Basic

Egil

Quote from: Blue Steel on March 11, 2011, 07:50:08 AM
Doesn't like running in Win7 x86 (32 bit) aero mode , I have to disable visual themes back to basic7 theme

Same thing here. And whatever I try, it is impossible to correctly associate the IWB filetypes with IWB v2.0.
I uninstalled the program, and reinstalled IWB v1.8. Then everything worked fine. But when I unsinstalled v1.8 and reinstalled v2.0, I had the same problem returned.
But when using the basic7 theme, I can at least open source files from within the IDE. But when double clicking a source file now, just starts the IDE whithout loading any source files, like I have become used to from earlier versions.
Running Windows 7 Home Premium here, and will be grateful for any suggestions to fix my problem. For now, I have uninstalled v2.0 and reinstalled v1.8 as my old habits are very hard to get rid of....

When checking my system with CCleaner I get  the report in the attached picture.

Regards
Egil

Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

Barney

March 11, 2011, 11:13:03 AM #37 Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 11:25:06 AM by Barney
I am running Win7 X64 here and there are no problems with aero mode. All 3D samples as well as some of my 3D stuff works correctly, in full screen or window.

Perhaps the problem is not IWBasic but another application that is also running on your computers. On my computer the "culprit" is Arcsoft's Total Media TV application. As soon as I start IWBasic and immediately after the UFC message Win7 switches aero mode off complaining that there is an application which is incompatible. Logically one would think it is IWBasic, but it turned out it is actually Total Media. As soon as it is switched off, aero mode will be automatically reinstated and IWBasic would work normally. I also tried to start Total Media again while IWBasic was active and oddly enough Windows did not complain. Aero mode was not switched off.

The only "problem" I have is UFC asking me if I really want to run IWBasic every time I start it. I've disabled the UFC (which I usually do anyway) but would like to be able to start IWBasic normally with UFC active just like I was able to with all previous versions.

I would suggest that we check what programs are creating "aero mode off" problem and post it here. At least it would help sapero fixing it. If there is something to fix, that is..

Barney

LarryMc

March 11, 2011, 11:37:19 AM #38 Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 11:42:28 AM by LarryMc
Sorry that some of you are having problems. :(

For such a major revision (considering the IW Team has only had access to the innards of the software for a relatively short period of time - not 20 years) I think it was a pretty successful release.  But again then, I'm pretty biased ;)

Issues will be addressed as we are notified.  Some will be quick fixes; others may take a while.
The one absolute is issues will not be ignored.
Thanks for reporting any issues you come across.

LarryMc
LarryMc

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

The bugs of the day have been fixed (I think).
re-download and install.

Let me know if all works.

Larry

Egil

Quote from: Rock Ridge Farm (Larry) on March 11, 2011, 02:55:06 PM
re-download and install.

Larry

Larry,
You have put so much security in the install files that re-download and install is impossible without a new purchase.
The only message I get after new download  and install is an error message saying: "Incorrect Username or Unlock Code entered."

Regards
Egil
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

Brian

Well, I think I'll wait until a more stable version comes out. Bit disappointed
with all the hassle of trying to get programs that I've had for ages to even
compile and run. Sorry...

Latest download of the installer gives me this:

Compiling Resources...
No Errors

Compiling...
jjLabels.iwb
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\bin\iwbstd.incc (462) Warning: The GUID structure (1st parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\bin\iwbstd.incc (463) Warning: The GUID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\objidl.inc (455) Warning: The REFCLSID structure (1st parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\oaidl.inc (400) Warning: The REFGUID structure (1st parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\oaidl.inc (434) Warning: The REFGUID structure (1st parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\oaidl.inc (463) Warning: The REFGUID structure (1st parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\oaidl.inc (464) Warning: The REFGUID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\oaidl.inc (465) Warning: The REFGUID structure (3rd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\oaidl.inc (466) Warning: The REFGUID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\oaidl.inc (467) Warning: The REFGUID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\oaidl.inc (488) Warning: The REFGUID structure (1st parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\oaidl.inc (507) Warning: The REFGUID structure (1st parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\oaidl.inc (516) Warning: The REFGUID structure (1st parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\oaidl.inc (802) Warning: The REFGUID structure (1st parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\msxml.inc (85) Warning: The REFIID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\msxml.inc (99) Warning: The REFIID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\msxml.inc (149) Warning: The REFIID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\msxml.inc (198) Warning: The REFIID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\msxml.inc (281) Warning: The REFIID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\msxml.inc (301) Warning: The REFIID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\msxml.inc (324) Warning: The REFIID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\msxml.inc (382) Warning: The REFIID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\msxml.inc (435) Warning: The REFIID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\msxml.inc (494) Warning: The REFIID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\msxml.inc (554) Warning: The REFIID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\msxml.inc (614) Warning: The REFIID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\msxml.inc (667) Warning: The REFIID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\msxml.inc (727) Warning: The REFIID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\msxml.inc (780) Warning: The REFIID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\msxml.inc (832) Warning: The REFIID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\msxml.inc (885) Warning: The REFIID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\msxml.inc (935) Warning: The REFIID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\msxml.inc (955) Warning: The REFIID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\msxml.inc (1014) Warning: The REFIID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\msxml.inc (1031) Warning: The REFIID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\msxml.inc (1060) Warning: The REFIID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\msxml.inc (1080) Warning: The REFIID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\msxml.inc (1097) Warning: The REFIID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\msxml.inc (1124) Warning: The REFIID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\msxml.inc (1154) Warning: The REFIID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\msxml.inc (1179) Warning: The REFIID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\msxml.inc (1206) Warning: The REFIID structure (2nd parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\propidl.inc (480) Warning: The REFCLSID structure (1st parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\propidl.inc (490) Warning: The REFFMTID structure (1st parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\propidl.inc (491) Warning: The REFFMTID structure (1st parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.
File: C:\Program Files\iwbdev\include\propidl.inc (492) Warning: The REFFMTID structure (1st parameter) is defined without ByRef and ByVal modifier, which may cause problems.

Linking...
IWBasicLinker v1.12 Copyright ÂÃ,© 2009,2010 Ionic Wind Software
Generating jjLabels.exe
Build completed

Brian

Rock Ridge Farm (Larry)

re-download and install.

Larry

Guilect

The following lines of code placed in the IDE causes v2.0 IDE to crash:

$INCLUDE "windows.inc"
_SetWindowLong(wb.hwnd, -20,512)

The above lines do not crash the IDE in v1.7.3.7

LarryMc

Quote from: Brian Pugh on March 11, 2011, 04:54:50 PM
Well, I think I'll wait until a more stable version comes out. Bit disappointed
with all the hassle of trying to get programs that I've had for ages to even
compile and run. Sorry...
Since I had your source code I tried compiling it with the very latest and got no warning messages like you.
However it caused a crash.  That didn't happen before.

LarryMc
LarryMc

LarryMc

Quote from: Egil on March 11, 2011, 04:43:06 PM
Larry,
You have put so much security in the install files that re-download and install is impossible without a new purchase.
The only message I get after new download  and install is an error message saying: "Incorrect Username or Unlock Code entered."

Regards
Egil
I didn't have any of those sort of problems with the latest download.

LarryMc
LarryMc

LarryMc

March 11, 2011, 08:00:46 PM #46 Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 08:03:10 PM by LarryMc
Quote from: Guilect on March 11, 2011, 06:51:28 PM
The following lines of code placed in the IDE causes v2.0 IDE to crash:

$INCLUDE "windows.inc"
_SetWindowLong(wb.hwnd, -20,512)

The above lines do not crash the IDE in v1.7.3.7
I get the same result with the latest version.

LarryMc
LarryMc

LarryMc

Just tried to compile the latest version of my designer
13 files compiled fine
36 files crashed with no hint of failure and had "tell it to microsoft " dialog

LarryMc
LarryMc

Blue Steel

now  on a fresh d/load and install when i try to compile the cubemap its crashing on compiling

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   iwbparse.exe
  Application Version:   2.0.0.1
  Application Timestamp:   4d7a972a
  Fault Module Name:   iwbparse.exe
  Fault Module Version:   2.0.0.1
  Fault Module Timestamp:   4d7a972a
  Exception Code:   c0000005
  Exception Offset:   00062a63
  OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID:   3081
  Additional Information 1:   5ee3
  Additional Information 2:   5ee37e81c3b4812dfb65d419981851f1
  Additional Information 3:   bd56
  Additional Information 4:   bd56026f12395770cde9c51d8cbb204a

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
  http://www.codingmonkeys.com
Covers many languages including Aurora , IWBasicEbasic (Ebasic, IBasic) , Creative Basic

sapero

March 11, 2011, 11:16:56 PM #49 Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 11:35:57 PM by sapero
Brian, the warnings are generated by the STRICT option. They will go away if you turn it off (menu tools -> compiler options).
I have to update the headers again, to get it working with the newest checks which is very useful if you convert C headers to IWBasic and want be sure, that structures passed to functions or methods are defined correctly - by reference, or by value.