April 30, 2024, 01:52:53 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Simple test program for the CB Serial Library.

Started by Egil, December 07, 2010, 02:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egil

December 07, 2010, 02:40:10 PM Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 08:33:48 AM by Egil
Here is a very simple test program for using the Creative Basic Serial Communications Library from Paul Turley.
People that didn't buy the library from Coder Creations will NOT be able to test out the code, and must wait until Larry decides to re-release it. But the supplied EXE file should work for everyone, with or without the library. But it is hard coded for COM1 at 38400 baud, 8bits, no parity and 1 stop bit.

Those who have the library, can change COMPORT number and baudrate to suit your needs.

The program have been used for several hours with an amateur radio TNC (TNC = Terminal Node Controller) controlling a 2m transceiver. The radio amateurs call it PacketRadio.

Have fun!

Egil - LA2PJ   
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

LarryMc

Egil,
It just so happens that I got a copy of the source yesterday and verified it.
I have been making sure that it will compile and working properly.
I am also making some minor changes to the help file and creating an installer.

When I finish LarryS will review (and hopefully approve it) and then it will indeed be re-released.

LarryMc
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Egil

LarryMc,
That's good news. I haven't tested yet if the library works on comport numbers higher than 9. The EB version don't. (I notified LarryS some weeks ago.)
I have no real comports om my computers, so using usb cables with converter built into the DB-plug. Works  fine as long as you remember to change comport number in windows device manager, and restart the computer before you try using the comport.

Right now I am connected to the local packet radio network, using a HP netbook running my testprogram and connecgted to the radio modem (TNC) via an USB-RS232 converter cable. This setup works fine with comport baudrates from 300 to 115200.
It is a great improvement over a modified version of the commread.cba console example included in the CB-package. That one starts loosing characters at 9600 with the same hardware setup.

Hopefully my example will encourage many people to aquire the CB serial library and start experimenting. It is a very nice package that makes serial comms programming very easy.

Regards

Egil

Egil

I discoverred that the simple terminal program didnot work on some computers. First the different brands of USB to Serial converter cables were thought to cause this. But after some experimentation, the code was changed, and now the program works with all the PC / cable combinations I have tried.
The testing was done by connecting a radio amateur TNC and several AIS receivers to the computers. The original comtest.zip above has been replaced today.