April 27, 2024, 08:46:30 AM

News:

Own IWBasic 2.x ? -----> Get your free upgrade to 3.x now.........

Transversion remake

Started by Kian, October 27, 2010, 11:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kian

A remake of one of my favourite games of all time.
This is my first attempt at writing a game for Windows and I hope that I have done justice to the original.
It won't win any prizes for design or wizzy, technical prowess but it is fairly true to its roots.
Any feedback would be most welcome.
Kian
http://www.glassfractal.com/games/

Guilect

Hi Kian,

Nice job with Tranversion.
Since my video refresh rate was at 75Hz it was finger pressing madness trying to keep up with my player's movements.
I almost got through the first level; had a couple remaining 'O's'.
If I go back to playing it again I think I would change my refresh rate to 60Hz.
(perhaps you could make the game not tied to the refresh rate, or add a speed factor or the like.)

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Guilect

Kian

Thanks Guilect. :)
I have begun to creep through my code to hunt for a way to change the timing and will give it a go as soon as I can.
In the meantime, I personally find it much easier with a pad - (although my son strongly disagrees).

Kian

whitenite1

October 27, 2010, 09:15:28 PM #3 Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 09:11:17 AM by whitenite1
Kian..
 That is one great game. After about three or four tries, I finally was able to clear screen one. Can hardly wait to see what else you come out with.

whitenite1

PS..
  Have one question though. Is level two, a bonus level? While playing it, if my ship is destroyed before collecting all the symbols, I automatically go to level three.

Kian

Glad you enjoyed it whitenite1.
I see you're a bit of a Sinclair fan too  ;D
It's good to see someone still flying the flag for the ZX81. The little black box that started me off programming in the first place.

Thanks
Kian

Kian

Now works on Vista!
A result of me having too much time on my hands during the school holidays.
I've added a little starfield type thing to the background, although I'm not sure if I like it or not.(more testing an idea than anything else)
For this reason it defaults to the 'off' position.

I am trying to get over the refresh rate issue by using a similar approach to that shown in the IWBasic docs for animation but, for some reason, when I turn of the VSYNC the 'flip' command returns a result of 15fps for about the first 3 seconds of play, making it completely unplayable. This is definately not the true refresh rate as everything is shooting about the screen like it's on fire. It eventually settles down - if I can avoid death long enough - but is rather jerky.

'Curiouser and curiouser' said Alice.

Kian

Sorry I'm a bit slow off the mark - (and its probably past its usefullness now) - but in reply to whitenite1's question on Oct 27, each even numbered level is a bonus level, hence the 50 pts for each item cleared.

Kian
(just slow , not ignorant)

whitenite1

Thanks Kian..
  I figured they must be bonus levels, but it's good to hear confirmation of it.

Love the game!! Thanks again for creating it.

whitenite1