March 28, 2024, 11:05:48 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Irrlicht wrapper

Started by Guilect, June 07, 2010, 05:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guilect

Irrlicht is a free 3D graphics engine.  It supports Software, DirectX 8, DirectX 9, and OpenGL.

Here is a port of Frank Dodd's FreeBasic Irrlicht Wrapper for you to play with.

You should get the complete Freebasic package HERE for all of the documentation.

The IWB package, HERE, (~8 Meg), provides 75 examples.
(Remember to create the import library for IrrlichtWrapper.dll; Tools->Create Import Library)
Use ALT+F4 to exit any demo.

To Do:
1.)  Particles : I need someone to help on this.  Can you get particles working?
2.)  Shaders : my graphics card does not support shaders.   :P

sapero

June 08, 2010, 04:00:33 AM #1 Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 04:19:49 AM by sapero
Guilect,

I have found and fixed some bugs in your IrrlichtWrapper.inc. Some structures should passed by value, and somewhere you had string instead wstring.
I've started porting the original FB files (if there was no .eba file), but after a hour I just noticed that you have renamed all the files.

Attached the include file and 15 22 more samples.

Guilect

June 08, 2010, 05:32:41 AM #2 Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 06:51:08 AM by Guilect
Hi Sapero,

thanks for fixing the bugs.

As for renaming the files; yes and no. (It is a long story)
I starting porting an older version of the wrapper.
In this release the original files are miss labled themselves; starting somewhere around example #43-44?.
e.g. Frank Dodd calls the actual file "example 44" but in the source it would be called "example 45" (or something like like, just for illustrative purposes).
So I started to make the file names match the source code example numbers, seemed like the thing to do.
Later on, the file names matched up again with the source code numbers..
Then Frank comes out with newer versions of his wrapper, latest is v076.  Somewhere between the 2 releases he fixes all of the numberings.

I just saw that you got particles working!  Cool.
I will do a document compare between your .inc and mine inc. to see what was changed.
Appreciate your help.

Regards,
Guilect

Guilect

June 08, 2010, 06:18:06 AM #3 Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 06:23:01 AM by Guilect
Quick question for you Sapero,

In your  include file you use 'string' for variable type when ever a file name is a parameter, for example.
I used a wstring.
Educated me here.
My thinking has always been that if you can use Unicode to do so.
That way your program should run on more PCs that use different character sets.
What is the flaw in my thinking?

Thanks,
Guilect

sapero

June 08, 2010, 06:41:25 AM #4 Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 06:46:59 AM by sapero
I just have read FB help to find out what is a zstring - null terminated string.
If you replace all "wstring" in both files (inc, bi) you'll see that 15 entries was found and replaced.
If you replace zstring to string in the .bi file, and then replace all "string" in both files, the editor will replace 51 entries in .bi, and 52 in .inc file. Huh? where is the additional string?
I have used the new IWBasic compiler to compile the examples. It showed me multiple "unable to convert string to wstring" warnings, so I started validating your translation, and found, that you have translated zstring to wstring.

Take care when passing a pointer variable to "pointer byref" function argument. Our current parser is ignoring the ByRef attribute, you need to pass a reference manually:
pointer p
declare function(pointer p byref)
function(&p)

Example: "60 Getting Node Children.eba", line 83. The new IWBasic compiler will do it automatically.

By the way, examples 100 and 101 are ultra slow on my 1.8 GHz mobile machine with Ati x600 graphic chip -> IrrDrawScene()

Techno

Quote from: sapero on June 08, 2010, 04:00:33 AM
Guilect,

I have found and fixed some bugs in your IrrlichtWrapper.inc. Some structures should passed by value, and somewhere you had string instead wstring.
I've started porting the original FB files (if there was no .eba file), but after a hour I just noticed that you have renamed all the files.

Attached the include file and 15 22 more samples.

Dear support

This file is corrupt. Can you please recent a new one?

Bill-Bo

Techno,

Do you purposely look for corrupted zips that are 5 or 6 years old? You're becoming a downright pain. This site normally deals with either cbasic or iwbasic; not fbasic. The IWBasic link at the top of the page downloads the "Irrlicht.zip" file just fine. AND, would believe it's not corrupted?. Why worry about the FreeBasic zip. Like Brian commented on a different post, you aught to start doing some things on your own. You're not going to learn to wipe your ass if you want everybody else does it for you.

Bill